• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Good overstable fairway driver

BMartin717

I just recently started playing disc golf again for the first time since college 5+ years ago and I've found that the TI Avenger SS I bought to replace my lost 10 year old XL is a little more stable than i thought it would be. I only get a slight amount of turn but its mostly a very strait flier with a gentle fade at the end which works well for me.

However, I am searching for a more over stable driver for windy conditions and long curved fairways but i'm worried that I might not have the arm for the predator.

For reference the 172 Ti Avenger SS generally flies about ~325' RHBH and ~275' RHFH

Regular Avenger~ In ESP or Z.

X would be closer to your Avenger SS, I think. But probably a bit more overstable.

champ eagle would be a great compliment or champ banshee if you want it more overstable.

Regular Avenger is a lot more overstable than the SS. They really are two different discs in terms of stability. Regular Avenger will definitely be more OS for you and it makes sense for you to get one considering you're used to the feel of the SS.

Another good choice is a Saint. It's got a bit more turn to it coming out for some arms but fades back nicely. I'm at about the same power level as you and my 169 Saint has a nice good fade on the end.

I've also got a Volt coming and if my past MVP purchases are any indication then I'd suggest grabbing one of those.

I have a old XS (not sure of the plastic, i think X or weight) and it flys more under stable than my Avenger SS. I have been looking at the Avenger but it is rated faster than the Predator on discgolfcenter.com where i have been picking up my discs and that worries me. Everything I have read on the forums here has said to stick with lower speed discs, and while I am loving the Avenger SS the fact that it is flying much more stable than I believe it should be makes me think that my arm is not yet ready for a stable speed 10 disc.

The banshee numbers look very much like what I am looking for. Would this fly like a slower predator?

The Volt and Saint both look like nice but the flight charts show them as more dead stable, are these not correct?

Also I found the prodigy F1 looks like it might be similar to the banshee (slower Pred) anything on this disk?

Banshee and volt are both good calls, maybe a champ eagle. I find the saints I've thrown less stable than what I think you're looking for.

If you wanna stick with Discraft, the Tracker should be about right. It's overstable, but easier to throw than the Pred.

Heavy Pinnacle rival, brah. Mine is flat as a pancake and will *not* turn unless I torque my wrist over intentionally. Beefcakes. I throw 400 max distance, 325 or so controlled.

Good *fairway * driver.

Well i ordered a Champion Banshee, figure i will give that a try. They didn't have a Proton Volt in the 168-170 range so I will wait on that and probably give that disc a try too since it seems to be one of the most popular discs around here.

Don't miss out on trying a predator either! Should be manageable especially in the 168 gram range.

heavier weights in MVP is good because more weight is in the rim, not many people understand that :)

volt schmolt. little fast for a returning player it is also not a "fairway". . I would look at star teebirds or the f2 or f3 by prodigy. Champ eagle would also be a great choice.

Heavy Medium Ascent might just fit the bill.

But a Banshee, Tracker, Blaze, etc. would be fine too.

Latest posts