• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gorilla Boy Simian strories

bwiese

Eagle Member
I have been looking around at the GB Simian (on the net) and it looks pretty nice. I was just wondering for all the people out there that own one could you post on this thread your experiences. I have never seen one personally, but love all the pics that are sprinkled through the pages. If you have one please leave a few of the following to inform the rest of us about the bag.

1. How long have you had it?
2. Problems with bag/ wear and tear?
3. Love it or hate it? and why
4. How much dg equipment do you carry/ where do you carry on the bag?
5. How many extras (clothes, snacks ect.) can you pack
6. How does this compare to other bags you have owned (comfort, quality)
7. Has it been worth the money?
8. Any other info you think every one out there needs to know.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for prerubing me, but I really dont want to search through 100 pages of gorilla boy stuff.

This is what I am looking for.

1. People who own the gb simian.
2. People who want to let me know how they worked for them.
3. How the product has lasted.

Thanks if you can give me insight on the simian.

oh and any thing else about the simian you want to share.

I've had mine for about a year now and I really like it! It's lasted and it's built like a tank. I like to sit every now and then during rounds and it does the job. It works good as an everyday bag but sometimes I'll play shorter courses that don't require a chair/bag. I have another bag for those courses..

i've only had mine for a short time but my original train of thought was to get a large bag and a chair for tournaments and a smaller bag for most other play. also i wanted both those bags to last for 50 rounds a year for the next 30 years.

after research i decided on the simian and silverback. upon holding one GB's bags in your hand you can feel the high quality fabric and see the talent that goes into these hand made bags. there no question that the gorilla boy stereotype about lasting bags is true (i post a pic of my two bags in 10 yrs :) )

i don't have a specific story but i can tell you that every single time that i have my simian out on the course, people constantly ask me about the bag. carrying a simian around is like carrying a lighthouse beaken. it really gets attension.

one impressive item on the simian is the seat cushion. really didn't expect the seat to be so comfortable for someone like me that weights 255lbs.

here's a pic of my Cheez-It dispensers disc golf bags

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

1. How long have you had it?
3 months
2. Problems with bag/ wear and tear?
none, very slight wear on the bottom but no rips or tears
3. Love it or hate it? and why
love it, super comfy and well organized
4. How much dg equipment do you carry/ where do you carry on the bag?
13 discs in the front (main) compartment, a putter on each side, 4 discs in the left side, camelback on the right (which occassionaly keeps beers/snacks cool), more snacks/long sleeve in the bottom (underneath main), sunglasses and recreational paraphernalia in the zipper spot underneath the seat.... various other things stashed throughout the bag include: baseball/golf ball, leatherman, towels, and I am in the process of adding a portable speaker to hook my iPod upto..
5. How many extras (clothes, snacks ect.) can you pack
woops, see above..
6. How does this compare to other bags you have owned (comfort, quality)
having had various bags (standard book bag > duffle > starter bag > comp bag with straps), the GBS blows them all out of the water... it isn't like I am weighted down, the straps are super comfy and I could wear this thing all day!
7. Has it been worth the money?
yes, absolutely
8. Any other info you think every one out there needs to know.
it has been great being 1 of 2 ppl I have seen in my area with a GB bag.. the quality and craftsmanship is top notch and I love the look/sound of ppl who are seeing my bag for the first time... of course, the 'noobs' with one disc prob laugh at me... that is until I say "thanks, I really like my bag.." as I take a seat.. jaws dropped :)

Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like a good bag, it is hard to pull the trigger on a $200 bag you have never seen or had in your hand.

Do any of you play on courses with lots of inclines/declines? Is there much problem with tipping and spilling discs?

Are the factory/stock straps comfortable? Would you want to change them out for quads?

Thanks for the pics love getting to see more examples and color combos

Last edited:
comments..

Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like a good bag, it is hard to pull the trigger on a $200 bag you have never seen or had in your hand.

Do any of you play on courses with lots of inclines/declines? Is there much problem with tipping and spilling discs?
yea, i play some hilly courses... just set it at an angle and it wont tip over. i have on a few occasions set my bag down and let it fall forward cuz i was too much in a hurry... fell flat on its front and i picked it up - no discs fell out

Are the factory/stock straps comfortable? Would you want to change them out for quads?
as mentioned above, very comfy!! but i am not a huge fan of quads so...

i've had some discs fall out on occasion when i pick up the bag and then sling it over my shoulder.

it's annoying but i just need to get more in the habbit of picking it up by the top strap which keeps the bag upright. since i've started doing that and storing the discs upside down i haven't had any fall out.

if i find myself on a hill i just lay the bag on it's back straps. no biggie.

as for the straps themselves, they are extremely comfortable. i've researched incredibly expensive hiking backpacks, the kind that people use that do extreme hiking, and the straps did not feel as padded as the simian's straps nor did they feel like they were made of a fabric that is as durable as what GB uses.

Thanks for the replies.

as long as you remember to keep discs upside down in the main part they shouldn't be falling out. and the straps are permanently sewn on now since I redid the design back in Feb so there is no option to switch them out for quads anymore. (just thought I'd toss that out there quick)

^^ word! yea, seeing as how I keep my main compartment pretty full (not stuffed, def easy to pull in and out) I have never had a disc fall or sling out.. (top-middle-bottom sleeves = 4-5-5; mids-fairway-distance)

Thanks for that bit of info GB.

How are the orders working now? are you taking orders, or just selling them as you make them in a store (online)? Has there been a big back up on all your bags?

How many putters fit in the side putter pockets since you redesigned?

How are the orders working now? same as before.

are you taking orders, or just selling them as you make them in a store (online)? I'm not putting any thing new up on the store for purchase for any bags until I have some made . I will put one up though for some one to buy and they can get in on the wait line for which ever bag it is they want as long as they know and understand that I don't know for sure how long it will take me to get it done with the amount of all the other bags i have to get made.

Has there been a big back up on all your bags? yes there has been. bags on the store right now that are actually in stock are spider monkey's and silverbacks.

How many putters fit in the side putter pockets since you redesign? 1 putter in each side putter pocket. I dont have one here to try it out with but from my memory of checking it 1 putter fit snug.

got mine today its awesome. havent got a chance to play a round with it yet but just from what ive observed its a little difficult to put on and take off. probably just need to get use to it. andty the putter pockets only hold one which kinda sucks but thers 2 pockets so ther ya go. its a great bag, quality is awesome. i have 2 gb bags already and the quality on this one is better than i was expecting. you wont be dissapointed

i saw the limited edition simian at gabe's fundraiser at standing rocks and i should've just threw down $300-400 for it right there ( i can make that in one night bartending otherwise i wouldnt even consider it). but it would have been worth it. that thing was sick. everyone else i've known with one loves it.

it is a little heavier empty than most but it probably evens out. being able to sit down on your bag is awesome. especially at 33 hole two round tournaments. that and im sure it holds lots of beer.

damnit, as soon as i have $200 im ordering one. winter seems like the best time to do so.

@ GB... if i order a simian, will you e-mail when its done and i'll just drive down from wausau?

Just got mine yesterday also. Which pockets are you guys referring to as "putter pockets"? Either of the large pockets on the side very easily hold both of my ions(1 pocket - 2 ions), and I'm pretty sure I could throw a third in there with no trouble.

I have not seen one in person but I think there is a slot for a putter between the main compartment and the big side pocket.

I'll be Debbie Downer (waa waa)... I didn't like mine simply and completely because I thought the straps/back padding were not thought out enough to be well designed. It rode uncomfortably on me and was difficult to get on and off (I'm fairly broad shouldered). I completely disagree with the "better than expensive hiking backpack straps" comment as they felt thin and unsupported to me. Since I had no option to change the stock straps with quads I sold it. I liked everything about the bag except those points.