• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gorilla Boy vs Voodoo

What kind of frame does Voodoo use?

The frame is a heavy cardboard wrapped in a padded fabric. It ends up making sturdy frame on the bottom, all four sides, and a divider or two. The biggest problem that bags have is that when you hold it on your back, the sides pull in because of the straps. The Voodoo bags prevent that. I've had both, and although GB make good bags, I would recommend voodoo above the rest.

so gb bags still come with the pvc frame?

yes. The question here is going to be hard to answer without you seeing both. I have heard some people prefer voodoo and some GB. It's more or less do you like Ford or Chevy better. There isn't really a right answer.:thmbup:

The frame is a heavy cardboard wrapped in a padded fabric. It ends up making sturdy frame on the bottom, all four sides, and a divider or two. The biggest problem that bags have is that when you hold it on your back, the sides pull in because of the straps. The Voodoo bags prevent that. I've had both, and although GB make good bags, I would recommend voodoo above the rest.

Have you had the Simian? It is a backpack not a bag with bagpack straps and it is a stool soits even more sturdy...

Not down with a cardboard frame, or only a 5 year warranty (G-B has lifetime). I think I've made my mind up. Thanks for the info guys!

Voodoo's internal frame is NOT cardboard, I've owned a Karma since they came out and it is rock solid and offers the perfect amount of storage for tourney travel play, inclement weather rounds, and the frame is plastic, although it has the look of corrugated cardboard it is not. Unless they are making cardboard that is white, shiny, and slick these days.

Having had both experience with voodoo and gorilla boy, I have to say that each has pros and cons like any bag, but to tell you the truth, I enjoyed the GB more than the voodoo. Now this is just my situation, in this case I am comparing the karma and silverback. The karma I noticed had become much too bulky, and it can put a good strain on your back. I can't speak for the mojo though. It had tons of pocket space however and could hold up to 42 discs alone. The mojo could probably hold up to 30. The silverback could hold up to 20 by way of cramming them in all the disc sized pockets. However the water bottle pockets were nice and roomy while remaining tight around the bottle so the don't fall out.

In addition, the GB felt very nice on my back. To sum it all up, both bags are well made. Plasti dipping is recommended on the bottom of the GB bags though as they are more prone to ripping. Voodoo uses the best materials inside and out and the frame is one of the toughest I have ever seen or felt on any bag. However when all was said and done, I have wanted a Grip that I couldn't afford as it combines voodoo's durability and space without the back pain, but I settled for an innova competition bag. It has all the space I need and feels light on my back.

To sum it all up, know your body's limitations and decide your bag on that first. If you have back issues, your best bet is to invest in a GRIP or something similar or GB for great well made home made bags, but if you have a strong back, look into voodoo. They are the best of the best when it comes to traditional style bags.

Last edited:
He actually uses 2 bigger pieces of pvc now that are free floating, not connected to the plastic like it used to be matt, still does the job just fine tho.

I havent owned a voodoo, no clue about warranty. They appear to be everybit as quality tho, they are a very nice looking bag imo.

I have owned a chimp, kong, simian and SM, very good bags, any complaints would be nitpicking or a matter of personal taste, quality isnt an issue with GB. Im not sure you can make a wrog choice just get the bag that suits you most imo.

The fact that the owner answered all of my questions quickly had a lot to do with this decision. Coupled with the fact that The Simian is just an awesome bag. I emailed Voodoo yesterday morning about the availability of one of their bags and they still haven't replied.

I am in this dilemma right now. I currently have a Chimp and have for 3 or 4 seasons now (can't remember exactly when I got it) the bag has been a tank. No tears anywhere, it is essentially in the same shape as when I got it new. It is the perfect size for the amount of discs I throw but since day I have needed more storage.

I don't know if I want to spend the extra cash for essentially the exact bag just for the added space of the Silverback or get the Mojo and Straight Jackets.

My birthday is in August so I have some time to decide.

I bought a Karma with the intention of upping my bag size a smidge from my silverback. the one thing I noticed and showed Sgamerp last night at leagues was that there is NOTHING holding the discs in the bag if it flips over... the U-channel doesn't keep them tight enough. I may sell my karma soon without ever using it. I think I will live with my silverback or go with a Kong.

I bought a Karma with the intention of upping my bag size a smidge from my silverback. the one thing I noticed and showed Sgamerp last night at leagues was that there is NOTHING holding the discs in the bag if it flips over... the U-channel doesn't keep them tight enough. I may sell my karma soon without ever using it. I think I will live with my silverback or go with a Kong.

Did you try to "tighten" the cage, for my mojo, if it tips it's about a 50/50 shot that a few discs roll out, but it also depends on if the main compartment is full or not. I haven't tried to tighten the cage on mine, but I think it may help.

I think I have the end "dividers" as far as they will go without not locking into the side velcro.
and the main has 20 discs in it I think.

I can turn my silverback entirely upside down and nothing falls out ('cept muh beer)...

anyway, I posted my Karma up for sale...

Latest posts