• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Got a 2nd Bag - All Backup Discs?

dridge11

So I have a DD Ranger H2.0...absolutely love the bag for tournaments but it can be a little cumbersome for casual rounds and weeklies. I recently picked up a used Grip for these fun rounds. Now the dilemma of what discs to put inside.

Would you take discs you usually play with and call it good? Or does it makes sense to use my backups of those discs to start getting them more broken in? I figure the first scenario make sense so you're gaining even more familiarity with my discs I intend to play tourneys with, but in the second scenario, I'm getting what should be identical discs broken in so that when they are called to action, I'm already comfortable with them.

What are your thoughts?

Welcome to my world. I just picked up my 8th bag, and yes, I keep all of my bags fully loaded and ready to go.

In addition to a series of manufacturer specific bags, I have my primary bag, my bag of alternates, and a trial bag.

I used to keep a bag full of backups but found that I never actually wanted to use it. Having multiple bags should be fun, and if you're not going to use your primary discs, you don't want to use a bunch of "almost your primary discs," you want to use something totally different.

So my suggestion is to pick one of the following:

Alternates - All those discs that just didn't quite make the cut for your primary bag. This is your opportunity to give those discs a home, and have a chance to throw them in fun rounds.

New Discs - If you're in a phase where you're trying a lot of new stuff, make a whole bag dedicated to it. You won't score well, but it can be fun to hit the course with a bag full of stuff that you're just feeling out. Some may eventually be promoted to your primary bag, others may find their way into the trade bin, but at least you have a chance to test them all out without worrying about overlapping with what you already throw.

2 bags and a box

bag 1 grip C14 my throwers, i have maybe 2 spots that get rotated in and out

bag 2 fade crunch box, my glow lineup, nothing changes unless i add an additional glow mold
I have the batteries and UV led's to actually build a glow bag but lack the know how and vision to get it done.

box all of my backups for my regular throwers

I have 2 bags currently.

my main bag is a grip and it has my everyday go to discs in it and all the usual stuff you find in most disc golf bags.

My other bag my old innova competition bag is normally in my trunk with some back ups, and various other discs im comfortable enough with to throw a competitive round with. as well as a change of cloths. I use it when my buddies text me while im out and about to play and i dont have time to run home, or when i just randomly drive by a course and realize i have time to squeeze a round in.

It's really up to you on how you want to fill it, but seems like a lot of work to switch discs back and forth between bags all the time

I have my primary bag (Grip B15) with my go-to discs and I change them out occasionally with backups, but for the most part it does not change all that much. I keep all of my backups for this bag in bins.

I have a secondary bag (DIY backpack), but it is filled with my mountain discs or discs that I take with me when I play courses with water that comes into play. Most of the molds in this bag are not what I usually throw, but are somewhat similar.

Have a Tana Pro as my main bag and Fade crunch box with DX and pro versions that pretty much mimic my main bag. My third bag is my left hand! I carry four discs and just have fun.

I have a bag for both local courses, a DD Ranger for the 18 hole, and a small Latitude SlimBag for the nine hole. The bigger bag is also my tourney and on-the-road bag, I carry everything I need in that one. The small bag is great for throwing over my shoulder and running down to the park on my beach cruiser for a quick nine or some field work.

I have 6 bags (at the moment). Yes, I do throw all of them. It depends on the course and weather. I throw Vibram rubber in cold weather and mostly Lat64 in the Texas summer. Heavier overstable / lighter understable for windy days and bags with "middleweights" for calm days.

I carry a nutsac all the time when I travel for quick round when the opportunity arises.

Do what works for you.

I have my Fade Crunch box that is my main bag. I also have my original Innova Starter bag that is coming apart at the seams, and an Innova Standard bag I got at half price because someone returned it to the store.

So I'll make up fun bags for the Standard bag... all Glow discs, all DX discs, all Champion discs, all-Prodigy discs, all-MVP/Axiom discs, only mids and putters, etc.

For my main bag, I try to get a second disc of each mold, all in premium plastic. I rotate them every month so they get about the same amount of use and stay in the relatively same amount of seasoning in. And if I lose one, I have the other.

I also have 11 Classic Wardens. Six of them are red, and i rotate through them monthly. That means each red Warden is used for 2 months of the year. The other Wardens are used for practice, practice, practice. I usually transport these in the Starter bag. I also use the Starter bag to take discs to the range (big flat schoolyard) for some form work and testing.

3 bags for me

UPD Focus solely for glow rounds

DD Cooler Bag for short courses

UPD Shift for minis, tournaments and casual rounds on longer courses

three bags for me if you count the cart

Grip for normal rounds
Octothorpe for rainy and tournaments
Delta cart for tourny's that it works well for

OG Grip for most of my rounds, casual or serious.

Grip Mini for most nine hole courses, quick rounds, traveling, or just really hot days when I don't want to carry much.

The Mini has all back ups with stock discs, so I don't have to worry about losing something vintage.

I've trimmed my collection down to 2 bags, had up to 5 at one point.

Octothorpe: Main bag. This carries all my throwers and other items (snacks, towels, etc). It is the only bag I carry on any and all courses now. Absolutely love it. Without a doubt the best bag I have ever used.

Golf Mahal: This stays in the trunk of my car. Carries backups for everything in the Octo, along with extra discs for special conditions (heavy winds, etc). Also keep my rain jacket and extra towels in it. Only time I'll take it out of my car is for field work sometimes.

So, I decided to load up the 2nd bag with all the backup discs to my main bag...so discs I've not thrown before, but same molds/weights as many of the discs I carry in my main bag. Made a few changes with similar flights....Comet in my main bag, a DGA Squall in my 2nd. Thunderbird in my main, Teebird3 in my 2nd.

Went out and shot a -4 on a course I haven't played in a few years, and one of my bogeys was my first throw of the day that JUST skipped into the water right of the basket (backup Flick is more stable than my main Flick). Other than that, getting my backups broken in for future use!

I have 2 bags, my main bag for all courses and one bag for some of the pitch and putt courses.

I do have 3 bags, usually all DX straight to understable discs for the newbies that I get into the sport. For some of them that have a little more experience, I swap out some of the DX discs for some premium plastic discs that I need to break in.

I have 3 bags with plans on a 4th. I have a shift that is my main bag. The lineup in it rarely changes.

I have a small army gasmask bag that my wife rebuilt that's about the size of a nutsack. I use it to just have fun with different set ups. Sometimes I just take a bunch of putters in it, sometimes just one disc from each class. I kind of let it be inspired by some of the threads on hear about "which 4 discs?" and whatnot. I usually have more fun with it then my main bag because of that. It's a new challenge each time. I also have a crunchbox with the innova quadstrap stool setup. I'll take it on longer days with bigger groups for the seat, and it's a nice balance between the shift and my small bag. Holds the essentials. I have a couple more army gasmask bags that are a little bigger that I want to build into a glow bag. They have room to put in plexiglass and leds and hold my current 4 glow discs, plus a couple more if I want to expand.

8x bags usually full;

UPD Shift: Tourney Ready main-bag

Innova Competition: All Innova/Discmania for fun alts when I feel like something new.

Academy Magellan: The "Just In Case" Bag for when a buddy wants to throw but doesn't have their gear with them. Always under my desk at work.

RDG Gecko: All Reptilian, All the time. Fun for quick rounds and not lugging too much around.

DD Soldier: Trilogy Bag (rarely ever used)

DD Cadet x2: Starter sets for new players/friends who want to "try that frisbee golf thing out." Always in the back of the car.

Westside Standard: My ex's old stuff. Haven't really gone through it yet, but it's a good go-bag for lower arm speeds. Mostly understable and high glide.

Looking to replace my Shift with a Rebel or a Flak X soon for more storage in Tournaments. Then I'll carry my Shift for casual rounds and swap things into the bigger bag for long days.

I use a GoCart with a bag permanently attached, a Gateway Tourney back with Quad Shocks and a small cube Discraft bag. One set of discs that rotate around in them. I try to use the cart whenever possible, the large bag for tournaments and for carrying beer on casual rounds too difficult for a cart and the small bag for winter play and some courses to physically demanding to lug beer around.

Latest posts