• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gran Canyon back from the dead??

TheOtherBill

* Ace Member *
Just saw this on my Fbook feed-

The Gran Canyon in Brooksville Florida has been revived from the dead and will be hosting Pro and AM weekend tournaments in January with registration opening on discgolfu November 16th. Just follow this link to hear what others had to say before this great course closed in 2006. http://wcdgd.com/coursegrandc.html

This would fill faster than the Earlewood Classic, which took maybe 8 minutes this year. Any updates from Greg or anyone who knows the situation would be greatly appreciated!

More info, but unconfirmed by 2nd source and haven't found the teaser on DGU-

I kept it a secret for as long as I could (3 days) I assume with the teaser they posted on discgolfu, they are trying to build some suspense. Ive been told the AM weekend is Jan.6th and that they will be playing most of the original course.

Trust me, he knows. He found out about 45 seconds after I did. He is moving up his surgery on his knee in hopes to be ready by January. He isn't concerned about playing as much as he is concerned about climbing those cliffs.

David Sauls is going to love this news.

I've been trying to keep it hush-hush until November 17....the day after my registration goes through. I mentioned it on Facebook, asking the readers to take an oath to keep it secret, and surely I can entrust secrets to Facebook.

Also trying to find out if this is a one-time deal, or if the course is being resurrected.

And trying to dig out my old course maps, notes, and photos (which were not digital). I was studying satellite imagery of the place yesterday.

Other than that, I'm pretty nonchalant about the news.

Who is running this tournament? The guys that always ran it in the past haven't mentioned this to me, and I'm pretty sure they would have. The course isn't even there anymore...It's been a cow grazing area for years. No carpet pads, no landscaping, encroaching subdivision development...This is just really hard for me to believe.

I've been trying to keep it hush-hush until November 17....the day after my registration goes through. I mentioned it on Facebook, asking the readers to take an oath to keep it secret, and surely I can entrust secrets to Facebook.

Also trying to find out if this is a one-time deal, or if the course is being resurrected.

And trying to dig out my old course maps, notes, and photos (which were not digital). I was studying satellite imagery of the place yesterday.

Other than that, I'm pretty nonchalant about the news.

What would you do if you got some real exciting news???

:thmbup::D

.....but if anyone finds out any more details, please share them with me!

Not sure of the layout. The flyer says they're using some of the original holes, but since there were 27 when I was last there, presumably they'd be using a lot of them. The only inside information I have is that parts of the property are now holding water.

More importantly---is this a one-time deal, or a revival of this great course? Haven't been able to find out, and this could affect my Januaries for the rest of my life.

:) ive heard so much bout this course ....first read about it over 10 yrs ago

It closed in early 2006, so except for certain older and obsessive disc golfers mentioning it in threads about "greatest courses ever", the talk has pretty much died down. Every few years there are rumors, always unfounded, of its return.

It would have hurt too much for this to be a rumor, hence my skepticism. That sounds awesome and I'll most likely be there!

Now, if that flyer and listing on DGU turn out to be a PRANK, every exortation I ever made for disc golfers to behave civilly is going to be retracted, and I'll be organizing the first riot in disc golf history.

Latest posts