• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gran Canyon back from the dead??

I empathize. We made it home about 1:15 a.m. Monday; my alarm goes off at 5:50 a.m.

It was worth it.

Great course! Mike Barnett and crew did a really good job. Hopefully the owner will allow more events after this one.

They seemed to have limited access to the property. Wish the property was up on DGCR.

Off topic*
We have 2 new in the Charlotte area I can't wait to see go up. A course in Stallings and a course in Mooresville.

Actually its at least four more courses, maybe five? Mt Holly's new short course and SPCC course along with the two you mentioned. And maybe one more that I'm trying to remember.

I played horrible, but that course was a blast.

Going to try and head out there for either thu/fri to play it just once more

Actually its at least four more courses, maybe five? Mt Holly's new short course and SPCC course along with the two you mentioned. And maybe one more that I'm trying to remember.

Would Oakboro out 24/27 count as Charlotte area? Between Charlotte and Fox Chase

Hopping on a plane in a few hours to head to to play this course for this weekends tournament. Can't wait. If Biscoe put this up there in his favorites, I'm thinking I'm gonna love it also.

..............and once again the Canyon fades into disc golf history.

Perhaps to arise, Phoenix-like, in future Januaries.

Perhaps to live on in statements such as, "You never played the Canyon? Man, you missed out!"

Dang I wish I was able to make the drive this weekend. Dont listen to the haters...there are a lot of pro's that dont approve of any course.

looked like they tweaked the order of holes and lengthened a few holes for this weekend.

hole 13 for the ams was hole 1 for the pros, etc...

looked like they tweaked the order of holes and lengthened a few holes for this weekend.

hole 13 for the ams was hole 1 for the pros, etc...

That explains a lot.

Matt Peckham listed some favorite holes on Facebook, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why THOSE were his favorites.

david- which holes from the new course were holes on the old course?

(From the Am weekend layout. Per above, Pro weekend numbers are different)

New Hole 7 was the same tee shot off a cliff, but it used to be a long, slight hyzer, probably 350-400' equivalent throw ("long" for me).

New Hole 8 was a similar tee, not exactly the same, but the basket was a hanging basket at the top of the tall mound.

The old Hole 1 teed from where the New 18 basket was, off that high cliff cliff. The basket was located where the New 10 basket was....then up the hill to the right, another 40'.

New hole 11 was pretty much the old hole 2.

New hole 12 was, for the first part, pretty much the old hole 4. The tee was a little further back, and the basket in the "landing area" at the left, right before going down into the woods as we did this year.

New hole 13 was pretty much the old hole 5.

And, just for visual reference, the ledge for where the new Hole 10 Red tee was, was the basket location for the old hole 27. (I can't describe where the tee was) On the old course, #1 and #27 cossed fairways. This year, by switching basket/tee locations on top of the cliff, this was avoided.

For my brother and I, this year was extra sweet because it was an almost-all-new course, but full of ghosts from previous years. Many holes used some of the old features, sometimes teeing from an old green, sometimes going in reverse.

Last edited:
Have you ever met Matt!? lol.

Notice he didn't say he liked hole 16

Which is hole 16? Is there a story behind it?

He listed a bunch of holes that I birdied. Puny old me. I thought he was being sarcastic. So now I've got to translate his hole numbers into mine, just to see what he really meant.

yeah, I have no idea what the holes were for the ams. But as a pro, and as a previous am player (2003, 2004), I had a blast. I even won a little something for my THIRTY MILES LOGGED ON THE COURSE OVER THREE DAYS!

Which is hole 16? Is there a story behind it?

He listed a bunch of holes that I birdied. Puny old me. I thought he was being sarcastic. So now I've got to translate his hole numbers into mine, just to see what he really meant.

am hole 16 was pro hole 4. peckham is a lefty. although now that i think about it wasn't 15 (3 pro weekend) the decidedly lefty unfriendly hole for the am weekend?

Last edited:
Not sure whether the reference was to Am hole 16, or Pro hole 16. If I count right, Pro hole 16 is Am hole 10, throwing off the cliff near HQ.....not terribly right-biased, depending on the length of drive.

Am Hole 16 (Pro 4) was awesome.

pro hole 16 was am hole 2.

pro scorecard from deitzel's facebook:
554343_10151393276276187_1949082248_n.jpg

going by the distances on the holes where the distances stayed the same:
am 2= pro 16
am 4= pro 9
am 6-9= pro 10-13
am 10= pro 8
am 11-12= pro 6-7
am 13-17= pro 1-5
am 18=pro 18