• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gran Canyon back from the dead??

Dang! Wait list for ams, registered for Pro. Thinking about driving down twice for this one.

Got to break up the 95% FL monopoly of players.

AM full

I was trying to register, and somehow I lost the pop-up for the registration. When I went though the main page to get to it again, I saw that it was already half full in only 10 minutes. I freaked out because I had to type all the info again, and I was sure I'd miss it, but I got the comfirmation email, so I'm golden!
Seems like there was a big push for volunteers as well, when I signed up for that, it was like 18/50, and today it's almost full as well. Looks like I'll be getting the chance to meet a bunch of you guys!

Thank you registering for Sun King presents Throw Down The Mountain - Ams.

This is a copy of your registration information for your reference.

Hell yes.

One issue the property owner would have with charging players to play is the liability. His homeowners liability probably would not cover injuries if he is charging money to play. It may if he was only accepting donations but I wouldn't take the chance. Even with a bullet proof waiver, I'm not sure how well that would stand up in court if someone fell off a cliff and was serioiusly injured.

This has an easy solution that was implemented by the previous owner who ran the course...Before you even got onto the course you had to sign a waiver of liability. There have been several bike accidents and even a death during a disc golf tournament...

There aren't really any sheer cliffs that beckon you to your death on the course. The biggest issues were heatstroke and dehydration because the property was so big and a round could take 4 hours. 32 ounces of Gatorade ain't gonna cut it.

Last edited:
Dang. Missed AM sign ups. Now I have to think if I want to play with the pros or not.

Sign up for wait list. I'd bet 10% have change in plans. I've been 20th on wait lists before and made it in...lol.

Sign up for wait list. I'd bet 10% have change in plans. I've been 20th on wait lists before and made it in...lol.

I considered it, but the wait list is already long, and I don't think too many people are going to bail on this one! There are plenty of pro spots left though.

Its only like 7 people .. and it only costs you $5. Just do it :) AND you can register for pro and cancel out if you make it into Am.

More like 16. I will be playing Grandmaster next year, so it might be ok!

Last edited:
Well the first 15 just made it in and have 48 hrs to register.

Anyways, the email says that we are free to register but I cannot figure out how to at DGU? I'm on the wait list but does anyone know how to transition that to a full registration?

i got to play the course prior to the tournament players on the sunday of the am event. possibly the best course i have ever played. spectacular piece of property for dg. hopefully something can be worked out to bring it back on a regular basis.

i also got to meet David Sauls.

i got to play the course prior to the tournament players on the sunday of the am event. possibly the best course i have ever played. spectacular piece of property for dg. hopefully something can be worked out to bring it back on a regular basis.

Thats the one thing I didnt do!

The honor was mine.

Or ours. Chris and I thought it cool to meet you, however briefly. Cool story on how you got to play during the Canyon's brief reincarnation. Glad you liked it.

For those who weren't there, or didn't play the Canyon before it closed, it was so much re-designed that we're still debating which version is our favorite course ever....and which is our second-favorite. From talking to a few local players, there is a glimmer of hope that this event may be staged in future years, too.

I must say, if anyone involved in Throwing Down the Mountain is here, my sincere thanks to everyone who made last weekend possible. Mike, of course, and whoever else was involved in negotiating to use the property. The army of people who obviously did a phenomenal amount of work to prepare the course. The re-designer. The volunteers spotting #18 and handling check-in at #1 and parking cars and everything else. The weatherman for a job well done. I mean EVERYONE. I had a tremendous time.

Is the course available for play this weekend?

They seemed to have limited access to the property. Wish the property was up on DGCR.

Off topic*
We have 2 new in the Charlotte area I can't wait to see go up. A course in Stallings and a course in Mooresville.

Is the course available for play this weekend?

I doubt it. They had permission to run 2 tournaments---one for Ams (this past weekend) and one for Pros (later this month). Course opened on Thursday for the Ams. It'll probably be on a similar, limited basis for the Pro weekend. There are liability, insurance, and oversight issues; it's private property, and the owner is not a disc golfer.

If I lived in Florida I'd have played both, even though I'd get creamed by the Pros.

Off topic*
We have 2 new in the Charlotte area I can't wait to see go up. A course in Stallings and a course in Mooresville.

You're polluting this thread with talk of mere courses?

Imagine, if you will, that sometime in 2019 you get a notice that the original Brackett's Bluff is being restored and open for two tournament weekends only, then closed again, probably forever. That'll give you some perspective.

Gotcha but I drove down 9 hrs after work thursday and then drove all the way back to Charlotte Sunday night and slept in my car, showered at the gym Monday morning. I would have done it again in 2 weeks if I hadnt started this new job. Hope that give some perspective on my perspective of the specialness of this event :)