• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Great strait to overstable mid? What's your fave?

jon_boi

Hey Guys,

I'm a recovering disc-hoarder who took some time off for family stuff (2-3 years)... Upon returning there are more than twice as many disc companies and lines as there when I took my hiatus. I don't necessarily have the time anymore to go out and test 50 different discs, so I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. I've seen all the flight charts out there, so I have a sense, but with different plastics/mold inconsistencies/etc, I thought Id just ask.

My bag has been pretty set for a few years with the exception of one spot.. strait to over-stable midrange... Something that can handle a little wind go strait and fade as it slows.

Details:
-Live at altitude where things are more stable.
-I prefer higher end plastic (z/CE/champ) that I can use as flippies when older. New Gold Latitude platic and 11x Teebird with wavy color are some of the better plastics in my opinion.
-I have 400+ distance with my teebird and 325+ with my Wizard.

Current discs: Champ Boss, 11x teebird, beat CE QJLS (river to replace when necessary), Z comet (newer and flippier), Wizards (Newer and flippier). (drones and spirits on windy days).

Discs I've tested:
-Squall really liked this disc. Was in the bag for a bit, but is there something better? (most flight charts have these as understable but I find them fairly neutral?
-Buzzz also liked this....want a bit more fade/wind resistance
-Old mold element ... too much overlap with comet.
-Champ Roc - Too overstable at max weight.
-Wasp - Just didn't work for me

OK, so I think I understand most older Discraft, Innova, millenium and Gateway... with the new companies, what is the "teebird" of midrange?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

-Squall is still the best all-around mid-range disc on the market, I especially like the SP. Best glide of any mid-range, it works many different kinds of lines, and you can find some in a variety of stabilities/plastics to suit your needs...they even have D Squalls now if you want something that will flip over.
-Sparkle Aftershock is also great, kind of a more diverse mid from the Roc-esque family.
-Buzzz is the best selling golf disc in the world, period. For good reason. But it isn't for everybody.
-Roc3 generated a lot of hype, basically a Roc mold they re-tooled to better suit a nice blend of new champ plastic that didn't work well in the old molds. All that I have thrown are, without exception, over-stable discs that consistently turn hyzer gradually at both high and low speeds. Anyone who tells you they aren't over-stable is torquing them. This disc is, IMHO, only worth buying for the nice plastic, the Ghost is a better disc in every way...
-Ghost from Legacy is like the slant-top Rocs of old, slightly over-stable, very similar to the Roc3 but with better glide. Ultra-reliable, and now available in a lot of different plastics (but you still have to beat the snot out of one to get it to turn over).
-Warship...I hear really really good things about the Westside Warship from people in Europe, but absolutely nobody has any of them here in California, even Westside's sponsored pros in California don't even have any, nor do they have access to any. I'm beginning to suspect that this disc is a hoax, especially since we see many other Westside offerings on the shelves (if it is so great, why wouldn't they put it out there for sale?).

Legacy is about to release a straight mid, I am eagerly awaiting this one. Everything they have made thus far has been extraordinarily awesome. They're always swinging for the fences with their molds, and have hit quite a few grand slams already.

The Warship might be too understable for power throwers and who is on team Westside in Cali now? Didn't Barsby leave? Anyway at sea level Warships flip so at your power aand depending on how high you are it might not but you'd have to go pretty high up to get the Warship to act overstable. Stalker is more overstable longer Buzz and at least all the Glo Z Buzzes i've tried are more OS than Z Buzzes. Still not as overstable as Wasps.

For this slot I'd probably either go for a Roc3 or a Neutron Vector. Roc3 is a Roc in a fantastic plastic, not a meathook but reliably overstable, and has a good straight portion before the penetrating fade kicks in. My Neutron Vector is very similar to that.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Gives me a jumping point to start searching the forum.

Sounds like breaking out a fresh squall would be good, but that Ghost, M3, or Neutron may be good to look into. I'm not sure I can get over the Neutron's weird rim thing...Seems like these all sit in the same pocket, so it's probably a matter of plastic preference.

I'm a bit surprised there were no Vibrams recommended... I haven't thrown any, but I've felt the grip and they seemed ok.

Thanks again,
-Jon

Legacy
Ghost
Prodigy
M3
Latitude 64
Mace/Pain
Westside
Warship
MVP
Vector
Innova
Roc3/King Cobra/Super Stingray/Champ Shark?
Vibram
Obex/Ibex

Not necessarily in that order of importance...

*edit: Added Vibram

Jeronimo said:
I'd call mine more plain overstable rather than straight to overstable. That's more Neutron Vector territory.
jon_boi said:
Neutron may be good to look into. I'm not sure I can get over the Neutron's weird rim thing...
Neutron is the plastic (like Star, Tournament etc.), Vector is the name of the disc. What do you mean by "weird rim thing", the shape of the rim is pretty traditional, and the overmold shouldn't affect gripping it at all.

I'm a bit surprised there were no Vibrams recommended...

Well, the only overstable Mid they have is the Obex... Ihad it in the bag for quite some time and its really nice into the wind, but I threw it out for my Neutron Vector. I have an Eclipse Vector which is more buzzz-like, so it was just a reduction of the number of molds I carry with me. I would also recommend to try a Neutron Vector Max Weight or maybe a Tensor around 175g. The thing I like about MVP that the heavier rim really straightens the flight pattern. Even into a monster headwind it won't turn over hard on you because of it...at least that's my experience.

jubuttib said:
Neutron is the plastic (like Star, Tournament etc.)
OH man... yea... i'm not up to date on the latest and greatest... :oops:

Jeronimo said:
What do you mean by "weird rim thing"
Yea... just the overmold. No reason other than it's different, which admittedly is poor reasoning. I bought an Odyssey or some such disc from Quest that was a dual mold and was a POS.

-Jon

luma said:
...The thing I like about MVP that the heavier rim really straightens the flight pattern. Even into a monster headwind it won't turn over hard on you because of it...at least that's my experience.

A debunked myth, but still a great disc. It's straighter because the shape deflects air around it in a way balances the center of lift better with the center of the disc. I think MVP is the only company that both manufactures its own plastic, in addition to molding it up...a very powerful combination. I really want to buy into MVP discs and start throwing them more often, but since I'm moving to Japan, and they don't make Japan class weights...

jon_boi said:
jubuttib said:
Neutron is the plastic (like Star, Tournament etc.)
OH man... yea... i'm not up to date on the latest and greatest... :oops:

jubuttib said:
What do you mean by "weird rim thing"
Yea... just the overmold. No reason other than it's different, which admittedly is poor reasoning. I bought an Odyssey or some such disc from Quest that was a dual mold and was a POS.

-Jon
Give them a chance, they're nothing like the Quest garbage (not all Quest is garbage though). =)

They're the only company I'd dream of calling "consistent" at the moment, the putters and mids are the only discs I don't worry about at all when ordering from the net, and they manage that even with their complicated process. From what I've seen there's usually more variance in a single batch of discs from any of the other companies than there is in a year's worth of runs of MVP discs, with the caveat that the drivers seem to have been a bit more problematic. Still, no worse than Innova or Latitude, and MVP has a tendency to dramatically improve their moldings of any given disc with successive runs.

The suspect is my go to mid. I flies dead nuts straight with a consistent fade at the end. Not as long as other mids but a must have in my bag.

Roc3. I found one that was flat (some had a very small amount of dome) and its a mini beat Teebird out to 325' or more, with almost zero high speed turn and a late fade.

It's really more of a tweener disc that can be powered down easily.

Folllowup....

I got my hands on a ICON Ghost (Yellow) and a M3(Blue) both at 176... also took out my fairly weathered Star San Marino Roc for comparison (note: at altitude 5500ft).

All three discs pretty much fly as advertised for me and I have a sneaky suspicion that variances in mold/color/etc could be enough to make one fly identical to the other. So while the ghost seemed like it would fly the quickest, the M3 actually moved a bit more. WIth power all three flew strait, the M3's fade was harder than the ghost. Into a wind the ghost actually flipped. With an anney the ghost held the line much longer. I'm more hopeful of the legacy plastic's durability, but it was a bit slicker out of the box.

Overall, I'm not sure what i'm going to throw, but both are good options. The legacy is funner to throw because it's just slower and holds lines longer, but the M3 may be more consistent and a bit more resistant to the wind.

-Jon

i know you prefer higher end plastic, but you should look into kc or dx rocs. they compliment comets very well