• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greensboro Detests Disc Golf

BuzzSharpe

Par Member
My birth city of Greensboro has been gravely disappointing over the years...the Sit-ins, the Klan Nazi Shooting, which should have been labeled The Nazi Communist Shooting...but Greensboro's lack of understanding and appreciation for our sport of disc golf is grievous

There was a pretty cool little 18 hole course at Bryan Park in the early '80's. I discovered it quite by accident when I lived in Brown Summit, after moving back to NC from LA, where I learned the sport playing Steady Ed's Hahamongna and La Mirada in the 70's with only a dirt brown Aero with a pending patent number. The course at Bryan Park was literally bulldozed and pushed over a cliff. I recently heard from a source who should know that that was done at the bequest of the man for whom the park is named.
After we and others created, designed and built Johnson Street in High Point in 1992, my primary playing partner and I, as newly elected officers of the newly founded players' association/club, TADGA, approached the city of Greensboro about putting a course at their Hagan Stone Park. They offered the property on E. Vandalia, which consisted of a gymnasium building and a tangled forest/jungle. Five years later, some local players got Greensboro to allow them to buy and install baskets and those crappy little cylinders at Barber Park, of all places. Now, 15 years later, it is still the same, with no improvements or design tweaks, both of which are seriously needed and warranted. About seven or eight years ago, a $10 million bond referendum for the park allocated $39,900 to the disc golf course. All I've ever seen spent on the course were some REALLY crappy little plastic tee marker signs that lasted about a week and a half.
I had and have no problems with the millions already spent on replacing the collapsed roof of the Simkins Center, the technical improvements of the amphitheatre stage, or the building of new shelters and the sprayground and playground. I have absolutely no problem with their scrapping the plans for building cement, stadium style seating for the amphitheatre and for the three on three basketball courts where the practice baseball field and hole number 14 are. I have no problem with the construction of a nice, state of the art community center with expansive dining and kitchen facilities. I do have problems with it being built right where number 14 is, as that is the best hole on the course and one of the best I've ever seen or played. I have no problem with GPD's only request of building a second road in/out of the park, off Florida Street, right across from where English Street T intersects Florida. I do have a problem with it coming across the field in such a way so as to destroy the baseball practice field and dozens, scores, hundreds of old growth, mature trees, when it should be built along the other side of the field, where a road bed already exists, where one, maybe two trees would have to be felled and the 14 basket could simply be moved 60 feet or so to the left to the middle of the field. My biggest problem with the Barber Park Master Plan is the taxpayer raping seven figure expenditure for a fancy pants, highfalutin office/maintenance building to be built where holes 2 and 3 are. That's where the community center should go. The present office/maintenance facilities should be improved as actual, technical need dictates, but an entirely new structure should not be built, just so Barber Park's handful of employees can have fancy new digs. In any event, the disc course is going to be relegated to the stinky sewer line/Buffalo Creek swampland/jungle/forest, if it survives at all, with its allocated funds going somewhere else...probably into some bureaucrats' and/or politicians' pockets.
As for Keeley Park. I'll be a dead old man before Keeley Disc Golf is ever born. That's probably just as well, because the design I see on that park's master plan is tree killing crapola that doesn't utilize any of the grand, picturesque open area along the two power tower runs or the only real body of water in that area of the park.
The final word is, that Greensboro continues to fall behind and trail most every other NC city in disc golf development, as it does in so many areas of endeavor.
But, have hope and take heart, local discers. My ancestral home county of Alamance might yet be persuaded to make Rock Creek a permanent course at Cedarock Park, in addition to their plans for a new 9 hole beginners' course there. That would rival the 81 holes of golf in High Bridge, WI and perhaps let Cedarock regain its former #1 ranking as best disc golf park in America. And there is talk of installing a "players' course" at Burlington's Springwood Park in the Whitsett community featuring two 1000'+ holes. Burlington's Parks & Rec Director seems very optimistic, enthusiastic and encouraging about it.

Wow, why the hell haven't they worked on the course then with that money? $40,000 I could build a helluva disc golf course provided there I already had the land.

What have you heard about Triad Park? A guy I play with says he was told the course would be in by the fall there?

Triad is def going in. Keely is waiting on phase 2 and local support (hah) and thats not the actual layout. Barber is held up because of the new Y not a matenence building on 2+3 . Id type out more buts a pain to do so on my phone. Ill respond more in depth later.
Ive been in contact with parks and rec the Y and the city and gone to meetings. Have you?

Greensboro does suck on the disc golf front. The course in North East park needs a major overhaul/redesign b/c somebody (a Schwartz design AFAIK) did an awful job. I'd love to fix that course, wouldn't be too difficult. I emailed Hagan Stone a while back to gauge if they ever thought about putting in a course there and the guy seemed receptive to discussion. Hagan Stone would be awesome, if anybody has the go ahead to put one in there CONTACT ME b/c I will help, I do not want another NE park put in my area.

Greensboro does suck on the disc golf front. The course in North East park needs a major overhaul/redesign b/c somebody (a Schwartz design AFAIK) did an awful job. I'd love to fix that course, wouldn't be too difficult. I emailed Hagan Stone a while back to gauge if they ever thought about putting in a course there and the guy seemed receptive to discussion. Hagan Stone would be awesome, if anybody has the go ahead to put one in there CONTACT ME b/c I will help, I do not want another NE park put in my area.

A Schwartz design fail? you don't say? :rolleyes:

Many Park and Rec departments think that they have placated the disc golf community because they are unaware that the courses that have been put in are poor in design. Especially when a "Professional" designs there course for them.

My bet is that Greensboro is not as negative towards disc golf as you make them out to be. It's just our sport is not top priority and likely doesn't have a big enough voice in the community like some of the other activities that go on in Parks.

Last edited:
Brotherdave,

You should just go fix North East Park. Just show up like you own it, and knock it out. That place could be so much better.

While you're at it handle Barber too!

I'm getting ready to do some work with Parks and Rec at NE to work on some of the issues like tee areas, flight lines and tee pads and some other minor tweeks. Parks has already started building the frames for the tee pads.
If your interested in helping out contact me.
This should get going in the next few weeks or so as we are waiting on acquiring a Bobcat or something similar from one of the other parks as we don't have one on site. I've already done the walk through with P&R to go over what all we are doing in case we need to file a work order etc. I've also started to assemble a volunteer workforce to help out and keep costs to zero for P&R.
Again if you want to help out contact me.

I am in no way affiliated with Innova or Russell but I did see what needed to get done and how to approach it as I've worked on alot of (disc golf) projects with P&R in Lexington KY before I moved here last summer.

Anyway when I moved here and even before I did alot of research on the Greensboro situation and why it's been stagnating for so long. I hate to say this but nobody has been working with parks on an organized level to do anything about it. I guess people just feel it's easier to get on the national boards (DGCR) and bitch about it but not actually organize into a entity the city recognizes and demand action or do something about their problems. It takes alot of work and I don't think anybody wants to jump into this mess.

Now then;

As Iv'e said I've been in communication with Parks and the Y and the city.
Heres the scoop, at least as of last fall.

Barber;
Nothing discgolf wise is going to be done at the park until the Y finalizes their plans. They are planning on putting the new Y where 2+3 are currently. Parks doesn't see the need to spend money moving the course around yet. This is also why they wont do anything about tee pads. I have been told they would like the course to begin and end up top by the gate when the time comes. Those of you in the area know about getting locked in and the cops having to be called to let us out. ETA on the Y having full funds to break ground, 2014.

Hilltop Park;
Nothing absolute but was told this is a good candidate for the next course. I've walked the property and it should be big enough for a good red/white level course. Right now they are completing the first phase.

Keeley Park;
Even though there was a layout for a course nothing is set in stone. For one thing nobody actually "designed" a course. It's just a mockup for the master plan to show what the park would look like with all that stuff in. It was a selling tool. If the discgolf community were to organize enough to go to the city planning meetings they might get a discgolf course in there. But you know disc golfers. AMIRITE?
If it were to be considered it would be shoehorned into the budget for phase 2 which is on hold right now.

Hagan Stone/Hester/Bur-Mill/Country Parks;
All great candidates except for one thing They are already in use. These are the toughest properties to get a course into. And yes I know you guys like Hagan cause its closest to you all. :(

Triad Park;
The final money for the Veterans Memorial is being allocated and contracting bids should be going out sometime this summer. They want a Blue Level course. Biggest problem is there is almost too much room. Again they have a mock up of a layout on the master plan but again this is just a mock up. This will definitely be the next course going in the area. Best thing about it we dont have to wait on Greensboro to come up with money.

I'm sure I've missed something but thats enough typing.

Again if you are interested in actually helping out, contact me.

I'm getting ready to do some work with Parks and Rec at NE to work on some of the issues like tee areas, flight lines and tee pads and some other minor tweeks. Parks has already started building the frames for the tee pads.
This should get going in the next few weeks or so as we are waiting on acquiring a Bobcat or something similar from one of the other parks as we don't have one on site. I've already done the walk through with P&R to go over what all we are doing in case we need to file a work order etc. I've also started to assemble a volunteer workforce to help out and keep costs to zero for P&R.

I am in no way affiliated with Innova or Russell but I did see what needed to get done and how to approach it as I've worked on alot of (disc golf) projects with P&R in Lexington KY before I moved here last summer.

Anyway when I moved here and even before I did alot of research on the Greensboro situation and why it's been stagnating for so long. I hate to say this but nobody has been working with parks on an organized level to do anything about it. I guess people just feel it's easier to get on the national boards (DGCR) and bitch about it but not actually organize into a entity the city recognizes and demand action or do something about their problems. It takes alot of work and I don't think anybody wants to jump into this mess.

Now then;

Barber;
Nothing discgolf wise is going to be done at the park until the Y finalizes their plans. They are planning on putting the new Y where 2+3 are currently. Parks doesn't see the need to spend money moving the course around yet. This is also why they wont do anything about tee pads. I have been told they would like the course to begin and end up top by the gate when the time comes. Those of you in the area know about getting locked in and the cops having to be called to let us out. ETA on the Y having full funds to break ground, 2014.

Hilltop Park;
Nothing absolute but was told this is a good candidate for the next course. I've walked the property and it should be big enough for a good red/white level course. Right now they are completing the first phase.

Keeley Park;
Even though there was a layout for a course nothing is set in stone. For one thing nobody actually "designed" a course. It's just a mockup for the master plan to show what the park would look like with all that stuff in. It was a selling tool. If the discgolf community were to organize enough to go to the city planning meetings they might get a discgolf course in there. But you know disc golfers. AMIRITE?
If it were to be considered it would be shoehorned into the budget for phase 2 which is on hold right now.

All great candidates except for one thing They are already in use. These are the toughest properties to get a course into. And yes I know you guys like Hagan cause its closest to you all. :(

Triad Park;
The final money for the Veterans Memorial is being allocated and contracting bids should be going out sometime this summer. They want a Blue Level course. Biggest problem is there is almost too much room. Again they have a mock up of a layout on the master plan but again this is just a mock up. This will definitely be the next course going in the area. Best thing about it we dont have to wait on Greensboro to come up with money.

Good work and good luck. Sounds like the Triad should be getting some improvements! :thmbup:

Funny!

Now then;

Barber;

Hilltop Park;

Keeley Park;

Triad Park;

I completely agree with the sentiment about finding volunteers. They are hard to come by. Good luck with your efforts. Luckily for me, Greensboro is a little too far for me to help you. I'll just keep plugging away in Pittsboro. Come on down and play Rock Ridge when you have the chance.

That's great to hear. You can't do much worse than already is there.

I haven't been out there in a while but last I was there:
Hole 1 was decent, just needed some trimming, like virtually all the front 9 holes.
Hole 2 was awful and had no discernible fairway.
The hole that plays over the ravine and up the hill needs a serious tee relocation that doesn't invite throwers to fall into the ravine. (4 I think?)
The goofy, L-shaped hole that cuts hard left with the busy bike trail at the elbow just needs to be scrapped. (think this hole 5)
The hole before the short, downhill hole, that just plays straightish with the basket on a steep slope near the tree stump is going to have erosion problems among other things. (6?)
The steep downhill hole (7) is just dumb. Worst part is, it begs you to overshoot the basket which leads to the potential of hitting people using the trail behind the basket.
Hole 8 after that needs a safe, level tee at least.
Hole 9 mostly needs some low limbs trimmed so that there is a line.

The open holes are mostly blah but passable. The wooded holes on the back 9 are pretty rough all over.

Oh and to make you all feel better they arn't using Innova for the design of Triad.

Looks like I might be wrong about this part. Parks is using their design firm down in Charlotte to do the contracting. That's all the info your getting from me for now. I'll just say this. Google "disc golf course designers North Carolina" and that's probably the same thing they did.

Pray that Stan came up on the top of there list

Looks like I might be wrong about this part. Parks is using their design firm down in Charlotte to do the contracting. That's all the info your getting from me for now. I'll just say this. Google "disc golf course designers North Carolina" and that's probably the same thing they did.
:(:(:(
Pray that Stan came up on the top of there list

:thmbup::thmbup:

Local involvement

Hey guys,

Me and my buddies have all played for 10+ years but we're new to the scene. We'd love to be a part of our disc golf community and want to help in any way we can.

I've spoken to a few local guys who are actively involved and I'd like to get some info on how we can compete and participate in any projects current or planned.

**Also, if anyone has info on the fundraiser competition @ Triad Park tomorrow Jan. 24th, please let me know.

-Levi

I'm looking at site plans and demo plans for the new community center, maintenance building and Safety Town at Barber Park.

It looks like #14 basket stays, but the new tee pad will be behind the community center. At relocated baskets (2,3,13) it is encouraging that the note says "Remove Disc Golf Basket and PROMPTLY reset to the location selected by the park manager"

It also appears that #4 becomes #2. And #3 will be played back toward the general area of existing #3 basket, but on the other side of the walking path. Then it looks like new #4 might play from the open into the woods back toward existing #5 tee. #3 and #4 layouts have a "proposed disc golf course" note so they may not be set in stone.

My company and the general contracting company that owns us are bidding on this work. Our GC company does a lot of work with parks & rec.

Hey, where can we go to find the design you're talking about? Can you post that link?

On a note related to this thread title, Greensboro really doesn't care about disc golf. I've played a handful of new courses in cities with much less cash flow and smaller budgets lately, and they make Barber Park look like the embarrassment it is. I'm so glad they're putting those outdated baskets back in the ground after they mangle an already less than than stellar course. I'm sure the guy who they get to design those changes will know nothing about the sport. I'll be sure to expect no tees, no signage, and no holes worth playing. Honestly, the crap this city spends money on! Here endeth the rant.

But seriously, can you post that link?

Latest posts