• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Bag or Golf Mahal

Soo how many first run mahals ripped and werent built good enough? O wait,they kept testing them til they met their standards and had individual inspectors to examine each bag.

Booter, have you had some person problems with the Grip bag? You seem so passionate about your distaste for it.

We all got F'ed over on the first runs but get over it already, he has made it "right" with a way better bag that is built better and it much more durable then the first.

I have distaste for it because I got everything I wanted with the mahal .i was on the original preorder last june and dodnt get my bag til january this year. While j@ might handle some situations well ,he has showed that his prioroties are mixed up. While hes out playing tourneys and having fun,pwople were sitting back waiting patiently for bags thwy paid for so he could start production. Why start a business without the money to do production of bags and have them tested instead pf having customers poney up cash for your business that u started. Over promising and shotty quality hurt grip. Trying to cut corners by going over seas for production ,came and bit him in the ass amd had to move production back to the us. Honestly I hope grip pulls through but the vast quality issues I saw and experienced in person,changed my view of the bag and j@ tremendously. I understand that every company starts somewhere but if it were me,i would of not released the bag until it was top notch

Luckily I got rid of my bag before it fell apart,while I know that it had a warrenty,i didnt want to deal with another 6 month wait of bs. Kudos to those who did but when I pay big money for a bag,i expect quality. Also,as I said before, the best warranty you can have is the one u dont have to use. Just because I have a warranty,doesnt mean I should have to use it after a month.

I have a lifetime warranty on my mahal but I hope I never have to use it. Only time will tell if the grip version 2.0 will last or if people will be giving up warranties again.

Every company has to start somewhere but theres better was to start . We'll see over time. I love having options for sg bags but even fade bags lasted longer than the fr grips. Anywho,after I got my mahal,i realized that I should of bought i first. BUT im glad I got the grip to see for myself and be able to form my own opinion om the bags instead of talking smack on a bag or bags that ive never even owned,like tourneyplayer. If u havt tried both,why talk bad about one just cause its not appealing aestetically.rips and tears dont look as appealing as a durable bag

Im a bag junkie so I buy alot of bags,while every bag ive owned has had pros and cons,the mahal just had the exact needs I wanted . Collapsable storage is what drew me to it. The bag looked bigger in pics,which is why I didnt really get interested in it at first. I then saw one in person and realized it wasnt big to the point that its obnoxious. It looks big because the void between straps and the bag itself on a reg tourney bag,was filled with material instead of being open space. I can have the option of carrying 10 discs or 30+. its a tourney bag with options and im thoroughly satisfied.

Like I said before,good luck to grip owners. I hope it lasts. I could care less who buys what,i just dont understand people bashing bags they havnt tried. Everyone likes diff things,to each their own. Im happy amd I still play golf and enjoy it like anybody else.

I feel ya boot. I would like to see a pic of the mahal loaded on someones back and a pic of the grip loaded on someones back. Im sure the size is pretty close and the fact that mahal has options for more space puts it in a diff catagory then the grip. I think most would like that option of more space.
I have a phenix bag and im very happy but if i was looking into a "backpack" style bag, i would take a closer look at the mahal.

Ugly is an opinion. Quality is a fact.

I have distaste for it because I got everything I wanted with the mahal .i was on the original preorder last june and dodnt get my bag til january this year. While j@ might handle some situations well ,he has showed that his prioroties are mixed up. While hes out playing tourneys and having fun,pwople were sitting back waiting patiently for bags thwy paid for so he could start production. Why start a business without the money to do production of bags and have them tested instead pf having customers poney up cash for your business that u started. Over promising and shotty quality hurt grip. Trying to cut corners by going over seas for production ,came and bit him in the ass amd had to move production back to the us. Honestly I hope grip pulls through but the vast quality issues I saw and experienced in person,changed my view of the bag and j@ tremendously. I understand that every company starts somewhere but if it were me,i would of not released the bag until it was top notch

Luckily I got rid of my bag before it fell apart,while I know that it had a warrenty,i didnt want to deal with another 6 month wait of bs. Kudos to those who did but when I pay big money for a bag,i expect quality. Also,as I said before, the best warranty you can have is the one u dont have to use. Just because I have a warranty,doesnt mean I should have to use it after a month.

I have a lifetime warranty on my mahal but I hope I never have to use it. Only time will tell if the grip version 2.0 will last or if people will be giving up warranties again.

Every company has to start somewhere but theres better was to start . We'll see over time. I love having options for sg bags but even fade bags lasted longer than the fr grips. Anywho,after I got my mahal,i realized that I should of bought i first. BUT im glad I got the grip to see for myself and be able to form my own opinion om the bags instead of talking smack on a bag or bags that ive never even owned,like tourneyplayer. If u havt tried both,why talk bad about one just cause its not appealing aestetically.rips and tears dont look as appealing as a durable bag

Im a bag junkie so I buy alot of bags,while every bag ive owned has had pros and cons,the mahal just had the exact needs I wanted . Collapsable storage is what drew me to it. The bag looked bigger in pics,which is why I didnt really get interested in it at first. I then saw one in person and realized it wasnt big to the point that its obnoxious. It looks big because the void between straps and the bag itself on a reg tourney bag,was filled with material instead of being open space. I can have the option of carrying 10 discs or 30+. its a tourney bag with options and im thoroughly satisfied.

Well said Brother, I was gonna type the exact same thing but you beat me to it. The Mahal is the highest quality bag on the market today and it took me getting a GripEQ that fell apart in 4 rounds to figure that out. If your going to spend the money buy the bag that is built by the guy who makes bags for the Navy Seals not some yahoo who decided one day he'd make the perfect DG bag and then sent them to be produced in Vietnam ?!

I got a new 2nd run Grip bag Tourney Player - come out to doubles and you can caddie for me to see how you like it :p

I don't carry as many discs as are stuffed in this pic, but that's 20+ discs in there, and the pockets on the sides and top still had plenty of room. Feels light when you pick it up, and NOTHING moves around in it. Easy to pick up, sits straight up so you don't have to bend to the ground to grab the handle.
Feels like it will last, but as everyone has agreed, only time will tell. For the number of discs I usually carry (12-16), this bag is great, because I always carry food, water, fans, bug stuff, and sunscreen in the summer.
6029544468_144851b3d2.jpg

It seemed like all of the pros at worlds were using the grip. I personally don't like the setup. I need to wear one for a round to compare against my Mahal. I will say this, the mahal is truly an amazing bag. I've taken it on vacation, I play with it every time I play, and most of all tourneys. I only carry 12 discs in my bag but I can carry everything else I need. People who talk crap about the mahal are just jealous, don't let it get to ya. Here is me in Maui playing with my bag (it was also my carry on bag):
discs and remi 045.jpg

When I was searching for a new bag(I ended up getting what I wanted,a Silverback,don't need that much room)someone on here who's username I can't remember at this very moment sent me a very passionate PM that was at least a solid four or five hundred words as to why i SHOULD purchase a mahal,so say what you'd like but the customer base for the mahal as a whole seems to be the most pleased.

If that was you,feel free to step up,you almost convinced me and there's no way I could even fill the bag :)

It seemed like all of the pros at worlds were using the grip. I personally don't like the setup. I need to wear one for a round to compare against my Mahal. I will say this, the mahal is truly an amazing bag. I've taken it on vacation, I play with it every time I play, and most of all tourneys. I only carry 12 discs in my bag but I can carry everything else I need. People who talk crap about the mahal are just jealous, don't let it get to ya. Here is me in Maui playing with my bag (it was also my carry on bag):
View attachment 16029

Woah woah.... that hole had a hanging basket when I played it a couple years back. I can see my old bag tag on that budda tree still too. :)

Mahal. I love mine

It makes me laugh when people say the grip bag looks better than the Mahal. This is a backpack you are wearing. You don't even see it most of the time. Are you worried your other DGr friends are going to comment on your style? Gimme a break.

If the only criticism Grip owners can come up with is the Mahal is ugly, well then you know which bag is better.

Mahal is the best bag I have ever owned for any reason.

Set up (which is done once) took me 5 minutes and a helper

As an owner of the Mahal, it is the end all be all for Disc Golf bags right now. It's going to be really hard for another company to come in and take that away from Mystery Ranch. All of my friends that waited the 6 months to get their bags sold them immediately since it was pure crap, and wasn't even close to what they thought it was going to be. Honestly, I think Booter said it best, so basically just read his posts and go from there.

I'm very happy with my Mahal. They way I looked at it, it was a life long investment. The quality is just so far ahead of any other bag I've owned. Mystery Ranch is a well established company and I feel lucky actually that this company spent their resources designing and making a DG bag.

Another thing that so many people don't seem to understand is that the extra side storage options are collapsible so under normal circumstances the bag is actually quite compact. I usually keep them collapsed unless I want to keep some beverages cold, then I just slide in the soft cooler on one side.

Regarding the Grip bag. Now that they worked out the startup issues, I have to say it's a nice looking option for a bag.

In closing:
Can't they both be awesome bags??

In closing:

I believe so. :hfive:

I would love to spend the $$$ on a Mahal. It looks like a great product. Unfortunately, I do not want to do that w/o a test drive. At a bare minimum, I would like to put one on my back and make sure it feels right for me.

As new as the Grip bags are on the DG market, I have already seen it in person. Fully loaded, it feels more comfortable and lighter than my revo dual pack.

In closing:

I agree.

I just don't understand all the bashing from either side. It is just a damn bag. It seems that some people look at it like a political affiliation. I am a consumer that casts my vote with my money. The Grip got my cash because it appealed to me. The Mahal may be great, but don't bash my decision because you don't agree.

I agree you can have both. The OP was merely asking which is better or w/e and I among others put their input in. I mean this can almost be broken down to Innova Vs. Discraft. People are going to like what they like and that is all. I admit maybe I did say that the Mahal is better then the Grip, but get what you like. My friend was using his Grip last night, and I will admit it does look pretty cool.