• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip bag Review - 11/21/12

FrankieG

Saved my pennies and bought myself a new Grip Bag! Thought I would share my thoughts on the bag in case you are considering buying one yourself. Also PM me if you want additional pictures.

My previous bag was a Latitude 64 tourney bag with Fade RainFly straps which I loved. This bag was roomey! Could carry a change of clothes, snacks and anything else I wanted for a full day of tournament play. I decided though I wanted something more comfortable for my aging back (will play GM in 2013).

First thing I would like to say about this bag is it is extremely comfortable, you almost don't feel the weight on your back and that's even with a full complement of discs, chair and umbrella (I recommend buying a compact golf umbrella, it fits perfectly and you can get them at Meijer).

That being said it isn't nearly as roomy as my Latitude bag. I play in the Midwest so a typical Spring/Fall round means cold temps early then warming up so after 9 holes you are ready to shed sweatshirt and pants. There isn't a pocket big enough to hold these items so I added a small drawstring bag to the Grip to hold these items. Honestly though I can see that adding bigger pockets would destroy the ergonomics of the bag but I just wanted to point this issue out since Grip calls this a "tourney" bag and I guess it is compared to the smaller bags but compared to other makers "tourney" bags it doesn't have the same capacity.

The bag also only holds 18 discs in the main compartment and that is with really squeezing them in there plus two discs in the putter "quiver". I carry two putters there but you could carry anything you wanted. For tournament play I usually carry a few more discs than this for backups for key discs, especially if there is water on the course so you might be hobbled a bit since there is only one other spot big enough to hold a disc and this is in the mesh pocket in front of the main compartment but if you have a disc in there it is harder to get discs in or out of the main compartment.

There are plenty of other pockets though for the sundry stuff of golf play but you should plan on hooking a golf bag to the outside since I found putting my towel on top of the discs in the main compartment resulted in several lost towels. Another addition I made was adding a small liner to the pocket I put the stool in. The strap/pocket designed for the stool is great except the side of your bag gets coated in mud/dirt from the legs of the chair so I added a liner made from another drawstring bag so I could protect my investment and to have something removable I could clean.

Another random note, the bag is so comfortable because it sits high on your back but this also means the stool and umbrella stick out a bit so take off your bag if you're going to look for a disc in the trees or you're going to keep getting hung up on branches you duck under:)

I also modified the color of the embroidery instead of paying $60 extra for one of the two colors Grip offered. All you need is to buy a $3 fabric marker from a fabric store and you can make it pretty much any color you want. I chose Neon Yellow because I liked the way it stood out on the black bag. The other thing I did was have a patch created with my name and number. I had a local embroidery place do it, total cost $7.50! So for ten bucks I was able to make a completely unique one of a kind Grip bag. I probably shouldn't have shared these tips, I could have started my own business of Pimp My Bag, LOL.

Overall I think it is a great bag for what I want but it might be a bit pricey to use as a casual round bag and I didn't find it big enough for all my tourney gear.

Attachments

• Grip bag.jpg
    Grip bag.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 194
Hmm, good review. In all my testing, and viewing i've thought this might be the case. Being in the midwest, having room for sweatshirt, raincoat, etc are quite important. This is why I am still so torn on what bag to get. I want the max room possible, but it seems folks are compromising by getting an extra comfortable bag that holds a little less.....hmmm. my quest for a new bag continues

Hmm, good review. In all my testing, and viewing i've thought this might be the case. Being in the midwest, having room for sweatshirt, raincoat, etc are quite important. This is why I am still so torn on what bag to get. I want the max room possible, but it seems folks are compromising by getting an extra comfortable bag that holds a little less.....hmmm. my quest for a new bag continues

Get a Prodiscus bag. Never run out of room in those monsters. Or a Golf Mahal.

Mine can fit a long sleeve shirt in one pocket and a rain jacket in the other. while being able to fit other smaller things in them as well

Ill never purchase anything from Grip again. Im extremely unhappy with their advertisement bc it doesn't reflect the product. First off, the bag I got was clay/coal and it looks nothing like the pictures on their site. The orange is not clay, its more like rust. 2nd, I spent an extra $60 thinking I was getting a limited run special edition....well that's a crock bc they continue to produce and sell this color combo so there is nothing special about it. If I would have known that I would have got the black for $60 cheaper. 3rd, the main compartment might hold 18 drivers, but who carries 18 drivers. I can fit 16 @ Max and that's absolutely cramming them in there! Also there's really no place to clip anything so I made my own snap on D rings for my towels and birdie beads. Very disappointed.

On another note, I did something similar. I bought embroidered iron on numbers and put my pdga number in the empty space above the Grip embroidering.

interestingly enough, I got a grip bag for the summer weather down here when I carry little gear and just discs. I am getting another lat pro bag for when the weather is bad and i need extra clothes/gear. any pictures of the liner?

I realize I won't change your mind, but for the sake of some others who might read this thread, I'd like to respond.

Ill never purchase anything from Grip again. Im extremely unhappy with their advertisement bc it doesn't reflect the product. First off, the bag I got was clay/coal and it looks nothing like the pictures on their site. The orange is not clay, its more like rust.

When I search for "clay color" in Google Images I get a lot of colors that are quite close to the "clay" color of my Clay/Coal Grip bag. The photos on their site are not the best in terms of color reproduction, but another google images search or a search of the other Grip thread here on DGCR will show you bags, like mine, which are clay/coal:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cla...jO0QHIm4CIAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1463&bih=928

2nd, I spent an extra $60 thinking I was getting a limited run special edition....well that's a crock bc they continue to produce and sell this color combo so there is nothing special about it. If I would have known that I would have got the black for $60 cheaper.

I've asked the same question and the answer is that they are selling a limited number, they just sell them 20 at a time or so. Your bag is still both "special" and "limited."

As for me, well, I didn't buy my clay/coal bag because it's a "limited run special edition." I bought it because I liked the color the most. I still do.

3rd, the main compartment might hold 18 drivers, but who carries 18 drivers. I can fit 16 @ Max and that's absolutely cramming them in there!

With plenty of room (i.e. they're easy to take out and put back in), I have 18 in the main compartment and 3 in the putter pocket. If I wanted I could slip a disc or two in a few other places too. And that's 8-10 drivers and includes a pair of Buzzzs, An Axis, an Ion, a Comet, a Wasp, and a putter (for driving) in the main compartment.

Their statement on the site is 20+ discs and I find that to be true.

Also there's really no place to clip anything so I made my own snap on D rings for my towels and birdie beads. Very disappointed.

I like that it didn't come with a bunch of things I may or may not use, giving me the option to attach things where I saw fit (and to me, there are plenty of places to attach things). I also fail to see how this is their fault - the images and description on their site don't show or mention D-Rings where they are not, do they?

On another note, I did something similar. I bought embroidered iron on numbers and put my pdga number in the empty space above the Grip embroidering.

A pretty nifty idea. I put a patch there too but it's one of those dumb "Warning: Overstable Discs Inside" patches. :)

@ IACAS: Well at the time I purchased the bag, the only pics of the bag were on the grip site, you couldn't find any purchased clay/coals that anyone took pics of simply because they weren't out yet. I did buy the bag b/c I loved the color combo IN THE PICTURE, but when I got it, it wasn't quite what I expected, It was a night/day difference. So, I wish they would have had better representation of the product. It did catch my attention that it was a "limited run," but bought it mostly b/c I love the orange/clay/black on the bag b/c I'm from cincy (Bengals fan).

On space, I carry a lot of mids. My drivers are versatile and mids are probably the best part of my game, and I carry plenty of them, therefore I can't force 18 in my main compartment if I tried. I do like the oversized putter pocket though, I keep 4 in mine.

Attachments: You can attach towels plenty of spaces, but they are either infront of you and very annoying, or cover up your main compartment. If you attach a towel to the side pocket zippers, the zipper pulls down and you lose all your contents! This has happened to me twice already :( So, I made D ring attachemtns to the top buckles which works well. I love my bag after my D ring addition, just wish they would have represented it more accurately. For example, disc space, a more accurate color picture, how many were actually being produced, etc. I still don't know how many of these will be made. I just keep seeing GRIP talking about how more clay/coal are in stock on their FB page. However, no major complaints on the design of the bag, just the company.

@ IACAS: Well at the time I purchased the bag, the only pics of the bag were on the grip site, you couldn't find any purchased clay/coals that anyone took pics of simply because they weren't out yet.

Fair enough. I assumed (despite what they say) you'd purchased recently since you posted recently. My mistake.

I did buy the bag b/c I loved the color combo IN THE PICTURE, but when I got it, it wasn't quite what I expected, It was a night/day difference. So, I wish they would have had better representation of the product.

The pictures on the site aren't great in terms of accurate color, I agree.

It did catch my attention that it was a "limited run," but bought it mostly b/c I love the orange/clay/black on the bag b/c I'm from cincy (Bengals fan).

I won't hold that against you. Nor will my yellow/black (Steelers) ProDiscus bag. :D Speaking of which, you should sell your Grip for a ProDiscus. They have an orange/black color combo, store more discs, have a few more clips and D-rings, etc. It seems like that bag might address all you disliked about your Grip.

Attachments: You can attach towels plenty of spaces, but they are either infront of you and very annoying, or cover up your main compartment.

FWIW, I clip mine to the same thing that clips to my keys and shove it inside that pocket. Stays out of the way, easy to get when I need it. I don't put much else in that pocket, though. Keys and my towel, both clipped.

I love my bag after my D ring addition, just wish they would have represented it more accurately.

I put some S-carabiners on the sides to hold things like my DGCR and 2013 travel tag, as well as a few other bag tags and whatnot.

For example, disc space, a more accurate color picture, how many were actually being produced, etc. I still don't know how many of these will be made. I just keep seeing GRIP talking about how more clay/coal are in stock on their FB page. However, no major complaints on the design of the bag, just the company.

Even mid-heavy it sounds like you can get to 20... so I don't know about that. And on the limited run stuff I think I posted on Facebook and they answered my questions. Or maybe it was here, or both... Yep, these two posts should help you out:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1671533#post1671533
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1672198#post1672198

Good luck. And look into the ProDiscus bag if you haven't already. People still buy Grips at a good price, and the lifetime warranty goes with the bag, so you should be okay if it's in reasonable shape at all.

If ppl need to carry more stuff then the grip can carry then ur camping...not discgolfing lol

Anyway i have had this bag for a year and have put a ton of rounds on it. By far still the best bag made for disc golf. There are bigger bags and cheaper bags but the grip combines quality and functionality and design at a reasonable price with a lifetime warrenty.

I will say that u can prolly get a better bag.......but not for disc golf. I have not found a fault with my bag. U can nit -pick anything if ur looking for it , but when it comes down to real world disc golf use, it has revolutionized the disc golf bag industry.

Obviously everyone is not gonna like the bag and u will always have haters but u cant deny what this bag has accomplished for the sport.

i already thought my Revo backpack was too much money. i don't see how the grip costs 260 dollars.

when the black friday add said 15% off i was about to jump on it but sadly the 170 grip bag is still a dream for me!

Sorry you're unhappy. I really like mine. I carry 2 putters, 5 mids and 11 drivers = 18 in the main compartment and 2 putters up top. Can fit 4 easily. I have stuffed a jacket and a long sleeve shirt in the sides. I'm sure you can sell it pretty quick, if you want. Good luck.

I had a chance to look at those prodiscus bags, nice, but beefy. They seem a little extreme. My grip does exactly what I need it too, and confortable. It'll most likely be my last bag I buy. Although I wish the main compartment was a disc or 2 bigger, I'm sure as I improve as a discer my mids will be more versatile and more manipulative and I can eliminate some discs from the bag.

Not thread jacking, just adding my bag and the D-ring "Improvement" I added.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010057.jpg
    P1010057.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 152
  • P1010058.jpg
    P1010058.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 149

Latest posts