• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Line Medius; the answer to the hole in my bag?

Conard

Par Member
I have a Pro-D Hawk, well beaten in, and a DX Dart. The Dart is my putter, bot almost overlaps with the Hawk.

I posted in the Bag thread last night and got reinforcement on that I need. I'm looking for 1 overstable disc to fill the gap between these 2 and my FL. I loved the Hawk when I got it, but my skill growth made it a bit less useful than what I was hoping for in my midrange. Should I pick up the Medius, which would be a great filler, or go with something else like a Roc, Wasp, or Hornet?

Being so new, I'm not looking to pick up 2 discs to fill the hole (Pain/Drone and TL/Diamond combo) and I'm not looking to continually replace plastic. I like harder discs with the power I generate and being in college I can't afford to be buying DX plastic every other week. Ideally, I'd find a misprint or a used disc tomorrow when I go to the local shop. Should I be looking at a Medius, or something else?

Personally i love the drone as an overstable mid. It is really overstable and will take some getting used to, but when you master it, it becomes vital to your game.

I carry almost a total Latitude bag. Love their platic and about every disc I've ever tried from them. Just walk away from the Medius. It is not over stable at all. It will turn and burn in the wind. Even just a little wind. Get a Pain. It is a really nice disc. Medius is not worth your $$$. The Pain is a great slightly over stable mid that is great at shaping lines.

I carry almost a total Latitude bag. Love their platic and about every disc I've ever tried from them. Just walk away from the Medius. It is not over stable at all. It will turn and burn in the wind. Even just a little wind. Get a Pain. It is a really nice disc. Medius is not worth your $$$. The Pain is a great slightly over stable mid that is great at shaping lines.

Thanks :) I hoped some Lat. throwers would show up. The thing is, I'm not sure how well the Pain fills the distance gap between the Hawk and FL.

Edit// So it probably sucked, could it just be as inconsistent as the groove and the likes? :/

Last edited:
Eh... if I was getting a Core, I'd probably pick up a Buzzz instead to be honest.

I dont blame you I run a fuse/roc that do all my work. but if he wants something from lat or where ever a core is a good pick up. I like mine but on the course I play I dont really need it.

If you want real overstable try a trident

Possibility. All though the last thing I need in my beginner bag is another driver. How fast would you call the trident? I've seen people say anywhere from a Wasp to a Banshee to a River.

Vector or Pain. Q Sentinel is another underrated mid in premium plastic.

A Roc on speed. Very HSS, fast for a mid. The reason I recommended it to you is that it beats in extremely slowly so you won't have to replace it anytime soon compared to even other premium mids.

I'm confused though, you want something b/w your FL (overstable) and Hawk (stable-understable)? It seems to me the Hawk would be your understable mid but you make it sound like it's your overstable mid and you want to fill the speed gap b/w it and the FL.

A Roc on speed. Very HSS, fast for a mid. The reason I recommended it to you is that it beats in extremely slowly so you won't have to replace it anytime soon compared to even other premium mids.

I'm confused though, you want something b/w your FL (overstable) and Hawk (stable-understable)? It seems to me the Hawk would be your understable mid but you make it sound like it's your overstable mid and you want to fill the speed gap b/w it and the FL.

My hawk is my understable mid, and my FL is overstable. I'd like to fill the gap in speed though, with something like a fast mid. I don't want something at the same speed as the Hawk, because it can do everything I need (Anny, S-throws, Hyzer) at that speed. I'd like somthing between my slow mid and my next longest disc, which is a distance driver.

The vector sounds fantastic if it's as stable as you say, and almost right up my alley with what I was hoping the Medius would be.

Okay, I got you. Yeah, I very much endorse the Vector then. It really felt like a Teebird in midrange form to me, it's that HSS and it likes speed. The Hornet is not bad but it's kind of tough to be powered down on b/c it's more speed sensitive. It likes to be thrown hard and hard only otherwise it's kind of unpredictable. The Vector is a bit more versatile.

There are some other fast mid/driver 'tweeners out there. The Whippet is more driver than mid but not by much but they're quite overstable. The Squall could probably be a faster Hawk for you. Gremlin although the Discmania ones are supposedly not as good as the original Innova ones. Nebula is a great smaller diameter mid that's a little faster and more overstable than a Buzzz but it's OOP. Impact could also seem faster Hawk-like to you and is shaped more like a mid than the Squall but they tend to run on the gummy side and that's a con to me.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Altitute's chart myself. Combined with Joe's is fantastic.

Edit// Think the Vector could pass as a 6 speed? It doesn't matter much, except in my head.

Probably. The gyroscopic overmold makes it so HSS that it feels a lot faster than it would be otherwise.