• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Pressure (Shawn Clement video)

DarwinDave

https://youtu.be/DjKnT1i99fc

Curious to see how the higher echelon members here feel if, and how, this translates to disc golf...

I grew up playing ball golf, and was always taught that you should hold the club the same way you would a bird... Just firm enough to not have it have enough space to flutter and hurt itself, but no firmer, which I always used as a thought process for gripping the disc.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Your grip pressure needs to match your acceleration to control it, like the bird is heavy and trying to fly away. If you start your grip really hard at address, you are likely to going to end up with golfer's elbow(speaking from experience), and probably not going to be able to swing as fast as if you started looser and match firmness pressure to controlling the disc's acceleration. There are tricks to throwing far with a looser grip, like widening the exit arc to delay the centrifugal force until the very end. Most players shorten the exit arc which puts a ton of centrifugal force on the disc early and think they need to increase their grip strength because they can't hold on.

Chris Max Voigt on his grip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvsHetJkKFo&t=2m5s

I'm not a student, such as sidewinder is, but every now and then I see something that makes me go huh? In the 2017 masters cup, yeah, I'm desperate, there's a bit of Anton driving. He literally lifts his thumb off the disc on reach back. There's no question he has time to reset his grip it just seemed so odd that it caught my attention.

As an aside. I keep a loose grip up till I accelerate into the hit. I'm not a pro though, that's just what I read twenty years ago. Sidewinder is a student so I'd go with his comments.

I'm not a student, such as sidewinder is, but every now and then I see something that makes me go huh? In the 2017 masters cup, yeah, I'm desperate, there's a bit of Anton driving. He literally lifts his thumb off the disc on reach back. There's no question he has time to reset his grip it just seemed so odd that it caught my attention.
Thumb plus index - squeezing the trigger. This shifts the fulcrum point of the disc pivot and allows more range of motion/change of direction/acceleration, kind of like shifting gears on a bike or car.
jwigbj5.png

Thumb plus index - squeezing the trigger. This shifts the fulcrum point of the disc pivot and allows more range of motion/change of direction/acceleration, kind of like shifting gears on a bike or car.

So where does the pressure in the grip come from? Does the disc pivot happen on the Pinky and Ring finger then? I always thought it was supposed to be the index and thumb.

So where does the pressure in the grip come from? Does the disc pivot happen on the Pinky and Ring finger then? I always thought it was supposed to be the index and thumb.
Anthon shifts the pivot to the index during the throw.