• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip vs Mahal

uNicedmeMan1

* Ace Member *
Anyone have experience with both? I'm probably going to get one or the other this spring for tourney / travel golf but I can't decide.

Price:
Grip ~ $200
Mahal ~ $260 :shock:

Both bags have lifetime warranty but the Mahal looks like it has the best craftsmanship of any bag I've ever seen. I realize it probably comes down to; do I want to carry everything and the kitchen sink with me? Yes - get the Mahal, No - get the Grip.

I am really interested to hear from folks that have carried both packs as too which one is more comfortable.

If you want a Mahal it would behoove you to order one sooner than later. They are currently out of stock and won't be running them until it's either time to or they have enough demand to warrant it.

For the record, I'm buying both.

Mystery Ranch said:
NOTE: Although the Golf Mahal can be ordered any time, we only produce this product in the Spring. After you place an order, we will let you know if your specific model is in stock or if you are on a waiting list for this specialized pack.
Not that you didn't know that already.

jubuttib said:
Mystery Ranch said:
NOTE: Although the Golf Mahal can be ordered any time, we only produce this product in the Spring. After you place an order, we will let you know if your specific model is in stock or if you are on a waiting list for this specialized pack.
Not that you didn't know that already.

Yeah I saw this on the website and it's holding me back somewhat. They want me to place the order BEFORE they tell me when I'll be getting my bag??? That doesn't seem right but I guess I could call them first to find out.

It says that they run it in the spring in the page of Mahal. I'd take the Mahal over the Grip, Grip's tad too small for my tastes, but won't be ordering the Mahal either since the Lat64 pro bag is perfect for my needs.

I put my order in about 3 weeks ago and they sent me an email the other day where they pretty much said it'll be spring or when they have enough demand.

They don't charge your card until the bag is delivered by the way.

What color did you get Jero?

I too am partial to the Mahal because I don't feel like the Grip is quite big enough to be the carry everything do all tourney bag. I already have a squirrel monkey for all my weekly / casual round duties.

The Mahal interests me greatly, mainly because it'd make a terrific bag for a road trip. You could fit almost everything you need into it, then just empty the side pockets and collapse them when you hit the course.

uNicedmeMan said:
What color did you get Jero?

I too am partial to the Mahal because I don't feel like the Grip is quite big enough to be the carry everything do all tourney bag. I already have a squirrel monkey for all my weekly / casual round duties.

I ordered a black one cause that was what I saw on Christian Deitrich, and I really liked the simplicity and look of the bag. It felt great, looked great, fit a ton of shit, and looked like it was designed to be bullet proof.

What you should also know about me is that I'm a disc thrower, not so much a competitor. I play to unwind, get out side, have a good time with friends, and just chuck some frickin' disc. Because of this I tend to carry a LOT of plastic with me and it's fairly common that I'll throw more than one shot off a tee because I enjoy watching my discs fly SO much. So, that said, I used to carry a Revo backpack and stuff close to 40 discs in it. Even I thought that was silly, so I pared down to about 32 or so and fit them into my Simian. I really like my Simian but it can be a bitch to carry at times, and besides that I always want to try something different. So I've also got a Revo Carolina that I squish 26-30 into for more competitive rounds. This is where my bag was when I received my Gripeq bag and i couldn't fit those discs into it, and that kinda bugs me.

I will end up paring down my bag further to fit it into my Gripeq bag for long days or competition, BUT when I want to just go out and throw (what I do most often) I want to carry a lot of discs and the only GOOD bag for that appears to be the Mahal. So i'm buying one.

The Mahal seems like the most solid bag out there. A guy around here has the one that Wiggins Jr won at Am Worlds (I think, maybe Am Nats) and it is very nice. If I was gonna drop $200+ on a bag I would get the Mahal.

I sold my GRIP bag for $250 for the sole purpose of ordering a Mahal. They should be shipping late April. I will say this though. Getting information from Patrick at Mystery Ranch is redicky hard. He replied to my email about the Mahal with information about the Outsiders. Then said he would get back to me about the Mahal. Days later I had to follow up with my request, which was: Can you send me a picture of the Toxic Green Mahal (they said they would post on the website last year but never did) What colors were being produced this year, is any color sold out? What is the expected ship date? What if any changes are different this year from last years? Has a pencil holder been added to the bag? After I had to follow up, Patrick simply wrote back which colors were available and that they were not sold out. I sent a reply asking if he was capable of answering my other questions. We will see how long it takes. I called last week before sending my email and asked how much the bags were and Brian a Sales guy said all the bags were $290. I asked if he could verify that and he put me on hold and said only the Camo will be $290. I have no problems spending a great deal of money on a disc golf bag but get your chit together guys. I should not have to WORK to get your information from you. :roll:

steezo said:
I sold my GRIP bag for $250 for the sole purpose of ordering a Mahal. They should be shipping late April. I will say this though. Getting information from Patrick at Mystery Ranch is redicky hard. He replied to my email about the Mahal with information about the Outsiders. Then said he would get back to me about the Mahal. Days later I had to follow up with my request, which was: Can you send me a picture of the Toxic Green Mahal (they said they would post on the website last year but never did) What colors were being produced this year, is any color sold out? What is the expected ship date? What if any changes are different this year from last years? Has a pencil holder been added to the bag? After I had to follow up, Patrick simply wrote back which colors were available and that they were not sold out. I sent a reply asking if he was capable of answering my other questions. We will see how long it takes. I called last week before sending my email and asked how much the bags were and Brian a Sales guy said all the bags were $290. I asked if he could verify that and he put me on hold and said only the Camo will be $290. I have no problems spending a great deal of money on a disc golf bag but get your chit together guys. I should not have to WORK to get your information from you. :roll:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That's exactly what I was worried about. I wonder what the toxic green looks like? I found some pictures of the black here: http://www.mysteryrants.com/2009/08/the-golf-mahal/ and I really like it. I am also curious to find out if they intend to include the score card holder in the newer bags.

BLURR said:
I wouldn't buy either one. I would buy a Revo Dual Pack if I was looking for a big bag to carry "everything" on tournament day.

Because of the price? From what I've seen / heard / read the Mahal is definitely better suited to carry "everything" on tournament day. The disc compartment of the Dual Pack looses functionality when the upper compartment is stuffed with gear and I don't care for the drink holders or lack of dedicated putter pocket. I have seen folks with homemade roll cages that support the upper compartment which is a nice enhancement and if Revolution was to address that issue and make more dedicated drink holders I would probably get it (the price is certainly right comparatively). Speaking of price, the prices seem to keep creeping higher and higher on bags these days :|

I also value my tourney bag for rain use and the Grip and the Mahal both are appealing for rainy days. I have read that the rainfly on the grip bag seems fragile and I know jesse B had one of the snaps come off. I realize this is the first Grip run and these issues are likely to be ironed out but I doubt durability will ever be an issue with the Mahal. I also really like idea of the big open space above the discs on the Mahal for a rain round as that area could easily accommodate extra towels in a handy area.

BLURR said:
I wouldn't buy either one. I would buy a Revo Dual Pack if I was looking for a big bag to carry "everything" on tournament day.

I was not a fan of the dual pack. Put anything in the top compartment and the bottom compartment becomes inaccessible. Plus the thing didn't ride great.

I was pretty close to selling my Kong and getting the Mahal, but I really like my Kong a lot for local stuff. I like the idea of the bag and how much space it has....perfect for out of state or roadtrip tourneys. I'm still thinking of getting one even thought I don't "need" one :p

If you look at the Outsiders on the website you will see the toxic green color. It gives you a perspective of the color scheme. I dropped a hint through email that I would love an international orange mahal but im sure it fell on deaf ears.

Was it just a rumor about a new Revolution back pack?