• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip vs Mahal

I will ask as well. I am well aware of my BUYING POWER ! I want more color options as well! I want an international orange!!! When I was watching the Mahal review on youtube (the am national red/blue one) and blurb popped up that the new Mahals were coming with pencil holders... ??? Guess not.

I am on the pre order and I did mention the fact that I think a pencil/scorecard holder would be a nice touch. Like other have said, I'll just put my clipboard somewhere. Overall it's nowhere near a deal breaker for me.

Jesse B 707 said:
Booter said:
sold my grip bag. time to wait forever for the mahal :D
fixed
:oops: touche

@juju- because I'm a bag whore. :D . No it was because it didn't have the storage capabilities I wanted. I'm not looking for a monstrous bag like the voodoo zulu but I honestly thought the sotrage on the grip would of been bigger in the side pockets. The storage problem wasn't the discs but more the extra stuff on tourney days,summer days or winter days. In tourneys,i like to carry extra discs,snacks,towels etc. Summer rounds/tourneys I pack lots of water and snacks. Winter rounds/tourneys I carry jackets,sweats,hand warmers, etc. So the fact that the mahal can be adjusted accordingly to fit your storage needs,was a big determining factor on selling my grip. The grip is nice,feels ligt ,rides high and is a good bag. The mahal is more my style though so it's no surprise there. I should of just ordered the mahal from the get go but I was thinking the grip side compartments were much bigger. I was actually thinking I could put discs on the sides and have room for jackets etc. That's not the case though.

Gotcha. Let me know how you like the Mahal. I'm somewhat of a bag whore myself and really want to try one out. I'm digging my Grip for those everyday rounds, but could use some more storage space for long tournie rounds. I can store most everything I need in it except for some backup towels and/or bulky clothing.

Booter, that is exactly why I'm purchasing the Mahal as well for the massive amount of storage potential. My order has been in since November. I was hoping to get this by Bowling Green, KY Am Championships, but it's not sounding like it at all.

ok so I spoke to a gentlemen yesterday over the phone @ mystery ranch. He said they're going to start building the mahals in a week. Then said it would take about a month and a half before they would be done. So he said sometime around april is when the next batch would be available. Whether or not if that's a accurate timeline,i dunno. We'll see. I ordered a black one :)

Thank you Booter for the info. Keep us informed if you hear anything else. My girlfriend ordered mine, and was told my Mystery Ranch that they would call her just before they made my bag. If I hear anything I will also keep everyone informed.

I saw the Mahal in person at a tourney a while back. It's a behemoth. It's more like an overnight camping bag than a disc golf bag. I'm not hating at all. I find myself stuffing hoodies into my Carolina more often than not this time of year.

My issue with the Mahal is the same issue I have with SUVs. The extra trunk space is nice for when I'm helping a buddy move or when I'm hauling mulch, but the other 99% of the time, it's going to collect empty Wendy's cups and dog blankets. I can't allow myself that much storage, or I'll fill it with stuff that I should probably just leave at home. :)

Any plans for Mystery Ranch to make a smaller bag? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

SirRaph said:
My issue with the Mahal is the same issue I have with SUVs. The extra trunk space is nice for when I'm helping a buddy move or when I'm hauling mulch, but the other 99% of the time, it's going to collect empty Wendy's cups and dog blankets. I can't allow myself that much storage, or I'll fill it with stuff that I should probably just leave at home. :)

Use the extra space to clean up any trash you see on the course :D

uNicedmeMan said:
SirRaph said:

Use the extra space to clean up any trash you see on the course :D
or to carry 2 smaller bags with you also......i dunno what kinda shit you guys are carrying into a round of golf but that bag has TOO MUCH SPACE

Booter said:
I'd rather have collapsible space than no space at all

Exactly. I've been lurking here and there in the Grip thread, and man, I was hoping for much better. I was hoping that the Grip would finally be the be-all, end-all dg bag, but I was really disappointed when I saw how little it could store (not to mention the QC issues that are manifesting). The Sim barely fits my needs by being able to shove something in under the disc compartment, but I'd still like more room if I could have it. I've seen one locally, and when its pockets are compressed, it's not that big at all, much more svelte than the Simian. If only they were in regular production and not so damn expensive....

some call me...tim? said:
Booter said:
I'd rather have collapsible space than no space at all

Exactly. I've been lurking here and there in the Grip thread, and man, I was hoping for much better. I was hoping that the Grip would finally be the be-all, end-all dg bag, but I was really disappointed when I saw how little it could store (not to mention the QC issues that are manifesting). The Sim barely fits my needs by being able to shove something in under the disc compartment, but I'd still like more room if I could have it. I've seen one locally, and when its pockets are compressed, it's not that big at all, much more svelte than the Simian. If only they were in regular production and not so damn expensive....

I agree fully with all points made here. I am hung up on the bolded section, especially the expensive part. If I can sell enough stuff to finance the bag purchase 100%, I'll pick it up. I'm close...

yea my total came out to 270 shipped.
luckily I was able to sell my grip for 220 so iwas able to pull the purcase. I wanna say I read somewhere that they won't charge ur cc til the bag is done and on it's way to you. Not sure if this is true as I havnt been charged yet for mine.