• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip vs Mahal

so i played 3 rounds today with my mahal and let me tell you, from a guy who has chronic lower back pains, that waist strap and yoke system on the mahal does work! my back still bothered me a little bit but definitely a big difference than how it felt after 2 rounds with my other bags. using the waist belt takes a load off ya and basically transfers it to your legs which even then,is still not much. i carried 20 discs,2 32oz waters,snacks,my usual random items and i felt good after all 3 rounds.

My old Adidas backpack
Innova Starter bag
Some old Adidas duffel bag with a custom roll-cage
My newer Jotos backpack

Booter said:
IMG_0501-1.jpg

got mine loaded up .
How many discs can you fit in the main compartment if you put them in the other way around, like Barsby does?

This is my early review- and a few questions-on the Mystery Ranch Mahal bag.

I won't be comparing the Mahal to a Grip bag (as I don't own one) but will make comparisons to Revolutions bags, which I have used for many years and found to be fine products. I just got the Mahal and have used it for 3 rounds. Basically it seems like a well made and designed bag so let me start with questions:

* What the heck does the velcro on both sides of the main compartment do? What is the space between the main compartment and the side pockets designed for? There is this funny little gap, partially closed by velcro separating the main and side pockets. I may use it to hold a scorecard unless someone tells me its real purpose.

* Since I don't plan to use the chest straps or the waist straps ever (or hardly ever), should I just cut them off? They dangle all over, catch on things and get in the way so I have wrapped them up. Unless I was hiking a long way out to a starting hole it wouldn't be worth it to go to the effort to unwrap them then rewrap them just to make it fit more snugly for a hike. Heck, on short holes I just sling the bag over one shoulder and don't bother with both shoulder straps.

* I have not tried to adjust the yoke. From the video it looks like it would take a degree in engineering to figure it out. Is it worth the bother? I talked to a buddy who has had his bag for months and he has never tried to adjust it. My bag feels all right. How do I know if I should go through the effort?

* What are the impressions of the players who have both Mahals and Revos?

OK, initial impressions:

The shoulder straps are more difficult to get in and out of than in my Revo bag with Phenix straps. This may not be a big deal to most players, or even noticeable, perhaps. I do not have good flexibility and it took me a long time to get comfortable with dual straps.

While there are a bunch of pockets, I'm not sure the Mahal actually carries more stuff than the Revo. Certain items are large or bulky by their nature: towels, jackets, vests, hats, mittens, etc. The Revo side pockets are big and hold big items well. None of the Mahal pockets are as big and the couple extra small pockets don't seem to be all that useful because, well, generally small pockets aren't all that useful to me.

The Mahal does not balance as well on a stool as the Revo does. I am pretty committed to using a camp stool because I don't want to set my bag on the ground (in the dirt or wet or mud or snow) and it is easier on my back if I don't have to bend down as far. Because the Mahal is wider than the Revo the balance is more precarious especially on uneven ground or side hills. The added width also makes it harder to navigate the tight spots we walk through on the course. With practice I think I will adjust to the added width but it does seem odd that the Mahal is both wider and seems to carry less than the Revo.

The main compartment of the Mahal holds fewer discs than the main compartment of the Revo. Not including risk discs I usually carry 17 or 18 discs (at least 3 putters, 3 mids and the rest drivers). Without overstuffing, the Mahal main compartment comfortably holds 14 discs. It may well break in and the Barsby method might help too. But so far I have needed to use one side pocket for discs, further limiting space for bulky items.

The putter pocket of the Mahal is bigger (and better) than the Revo. My current Revo has been in service for a few years and has tightened up from exposure to rain and snow. I carry one standard sized putter (Magnet) and one somewhat bigger putter (Rattler) in the putter pocket. It bugs me when I have to fight to pull out my putters. The Mahal is nicely bigger yet still feels secure (you don't want your putters falling out as you carry your bag).

The Mahal has a triangle shaped space above the main compartment, on top of the discs (formed by the sides of the bag) which I really like. It is easy to jam a towel or a mitten in this space and have it feel pretty secure from falling out as you walk down the fairway. Since there is this bonus space I wonder if anyone has tried folding a jacket and putting it under the discs (as another way to use the space)?

The Mahal seems to carry more weight (discs, liquid) than the Revo without feeling like it. This may be more based on perception than reality. With my Revo I could feel the weight difference if I pulled out a couple discs or even filled my water bottle half up. Eventually I might become that sensitive to the Mahal.

So, btw, I have had many different bags, including most of the top of the line entries. The last bag I tried then gave away was the Phenix as I found it substantially lacking (hated the pockets).

The two little Velcro loops on each side are to help hold an umbrella. You can jam the handle down into the side and secure it further up with one of those loops. That way in rain you could walk and set your bag down with an umbrella opened. Discs could then stay dry even with rain fall open.

Side compartments with Velcro are for scorecard/storage or the umbrella. Or you can insert a Camelback in one of them and use for water.

YES, you should get your engineering degree and set up the bag correctly. It took me and my engineer wife about 30 minutes. We watched the video on line a couple times. Just keep in mind that the video and booklet that come with the bag are not the golf bag. It varies a little. That sucks, but it isn't that bad.

Once you have it set up right it is great. I put the bag on and pull those two front straps nice and tight. When you want to take it off just pull the plastic buckles and loosen those straps. Then it is really easy to get on and off.

I haven't really used the waist or chest strap much either. I tried them a little bit just to check it out. I don't find them necessary for short, flat courses. But I can see where they would be great on a hilly or mountainous course. I hooked them up and ran one fairway up a hill. It didn't even fell like Imhad a bag on my back.

Enjoy the bag.

And no, don't cut the straps off. It suck if you ever decided you needed them back. Get a little Velcro from Home Depot or a craft store and just fold them up and secure them. They'll be out of the way, and if you ever need them, or want to sell the bag later, they'll still be there. They'd be kind of tough to sew back in place!

I just got Mahal yesterday and have been checking in and outs of the bag. I have one concern about the bottom because when I put at least 15 discs in main compartment and it's kinda sticking in a bit on the bottom. Definitely needs support for the bottom so the discs won't push up from rocks or rough ground to land on.

What would be best solution to add the bottom of main compartment? Cardboard? Wood?, or what would be best?

lovetoDG said:
I just got Mahal yesterday and have been checking in and outs of the bag. I have one concern about the bottom because when I put at least 15 discs in main compartment and it's kinda sticking in a bit on the bottom. Definitely needs support for the bottom so the discs won't push up from rocks or rough ground to land on.

What would be best solution to add the bottom of main compartment? Cardboard? Wood?, or what would be best?

Plexiglas

I was thinking about this too the other day. I wish i had an old bag to use the thick board that came in them. I might go to a hobby store and see what i can find

I never used the frame in my carolina or dual pack so the sagging has never really been an issue for me. If you do make the mod, be sure to post some pics or give a review on how it worked out. TIA.

Booter said:
Im gonna try to fit my cage from my sq monkey in the mahal or think of a frame i can make for the bag out.of pvc. Shouldnt be hard at all

I'm actually making a frame this weekend out of PVC pipe for the inside of my Mahal, I put the specs up after I finish it. I want something so the discs sit up off the bottom of the bag.

TRB

Got some zipper pulls made by a guy on dgcr who happends to be in the area. Very cool dude and good quality stuff for donations since he had.left over.cord

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

Latest posts