• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ground forces for speed

^^^^
Very Cool SW! There is a lot of data generated.

In the top video from 1:03 to 1:06 it looks like with the backward stride/over the top on the left frame the pressure is more centered in the swing vs the larger Left to Right pressure shift in the correct swing on the right frame side. You can also pick out where you "crush the can" in the correct swing on the right at 2:13 with the sudden pressure shift from toe to heel. Also, you can see the toe pivot (left side) vs heel pivot (right side) at 2:36.

You just moved your videos at least two levels higher. :thmbup:

Edit: I just saw you had a second video as well. I had done the full screen view on the first one while I studied it and missed the one below.

Last edited:
Some notes:

The surface is sloped a little bit across the tee from right to left downward.

It was only 20 degrees outside.

It is very hard to try and change movement patterns and try and repeat what I used to do wrong.

My version of One Leg Drill seems to shift about 65-70% pressure to the rear foot in the backswing. Amazing the difference between the feel vs real.

I think the practice drill on the app will really help people with rhythm/tempo and stop being so static starting the backswing - it's almost like Crushing 3 Cans - like Kyle Bershire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pkfJtVq-8#t=4m50s

^^^^
Very Cool SW! There is a lot of data generated.

In the top video from 1:03 to 1:06 it looks like with the backward stride/over the top on the left frame the pressure is more centered in the swing vs the larger Left to Right pressure shift in the correct swing on the right frame side. You can also pick out where you "crush the can" in the correct swing on the right at 2:13 with the sudden pressure shift from toe to heel. Also, you can see the toe pivot (left side) vs heel pivot (right side) at 2:36.

You just moved your videos at least two levels higher. :thmbup:

Edit: I just saw you had a second video as well. I had done the full screen view on the first one while I studied it and missed the one below.

I noticed similar things, the weight into the heel certainly made me realize I wasn't shifting into the heel enough - I was somewhere mid sole! Level up SW nice one and thanks again (to you & everyone) for all your dedication.

Needs its own thread please.

Is the white ball your COG in both?

Is it totally synced up? In the behind vid there seems to be a lot of pressure maintained on the left foot when it's already off the ground?

Showing how little pressure/no pressure there is throughout on the left heel is great and how it is all centered on the ball of that foot

Is it totally synced up? In the behind vid there seems to be a lot of pressure maintained on the left foot when it's already off the ground?

Showing how little pressure/no pressure there is throughout on the left heel is great and how it is all centered on the ball of that foot

I'm guessing there's some delay between the video and the actual pressure.

I am super jealous - would love a pair of those for a few days. I feel substantially more ground force in my feet when 2 things happen:

1. I initiate backswing with my left hip and pull that hip back until it gets tight in the hip back position.

2. I completely settle (crush can) on the front side before the disc moves forward.

Then the swing motion feels later... much later, and I move into the "compress and press" on the front leg. SW's rear foot is exactly what you're looking for as a by product of resisting that forward momentum behind the hip so that the disc going forward is countered by the left foot going the opposite direction.

Not for nothing, the faster I move, the more momentum I have to contend with - I have a MUCH harder time with the "press" part of "compress and press". Most shots, I just compress and firm so I can stay in balance and I would bet that I'm losing some speed because I'm not getting that Kyle Berkshire level of lead hip being pressed back.

SW over here going all 2021 with the tech!!!!

I think these vids work better going along with the previous vids in the thread.

The white ball is the Combined CoP (Pressure) of both feet. CoG (Gravity) is not represented.

It appears to be in perfect sync. The sensors are really sensitive, and there still is some pressure as the foot is sliding on the ground. It is interesting when I go totally airborne it goes to 50-50, as 0-0 is not a possible distribution.

I agree the pressure should mostly stay in the rear ball of the foot, it's ok for the heel to come down, but ideally should drive back off the ball. There are a couple pros that would have a lot of rear heel pressure like Will S(after 2015) and Paul Oman for example that actually drive off the heel. Definitely not something I think is very efficient or recommend, but some can get away with it.

Last edited:
Between the two, which method one is more conducive for longevity? I'm getting older and have to think about these things.:|

Between the two, which method one is more conducive for longevity? I'm getting older and have to think about these things.:|
Everything in moderation and throwing lighter, slower, less stable discs.

I would think vertical since we are more used to gravity and we can keep our joints in more stacked alignment. Horizontal spreads the joints further apart puts us in weaker position against gravity.

I can't really think of any older players that are more horizontal dominant like Will Schusterick and Eagle, I think that is more byproduct from disc technology and learning to throw high speed overstable drivers similar to the "modern golf swing" with stiffer shafts.

I've been learning more about ground forces in pitching from primary studies and coaching summaries. Lots of interesting studies and of course some controversies, including about the relationships between drive and plant leg ground forces and velocity. Here was an interesting peer reviewed study:

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/...round_Reaction_Forces_Predict_Throwing.4.aspx

And one coaching article integrating peer reviewed studies talking about body mass and velocity, including tradeoffs:

https://tyleranzmann.com/fitness/does-mass-actually-equal-gas/

Latest posts