• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Growth of DG?

To grow or not to grow?

• Total voters
It has nothing to do with rich or poor. It has everything to do with crowds and behavior on the course. Don't make this into something that it isn't...

Class Warfare is a term that gets tossed out so easily, and means nothing most of the time. This would be one of those times.

what are you mumbletyping about, levi?

class warfare?

idiots are idiots no matter the tax bracket

i have no clue what has the elastic in your socks giving out and falling around your ankles but if going the private course p2p route weeds out the idiots then i am all for it

Half the fun of going to a free dg park is all of the different people you get to meet of course you're going find some retards every now and then. but I think its funny just because of a handful of retards people automatically want to pay $25 a round ... ridiculous.

It seems that the consensus is the rich folks want the poor folks out of the game. Unwashed masses....wtf.

No. My use of the term unwashed masses was hyperbole. I merely wanted to point out that, in my opinion, the most quantifiable way to measure the growth of disc golf would be in dollars spent to have an exclusive experience.

I don't need or want a country club. All of the accoutrements that accompany a traditional golf country club are wasted on me. I don't want to hang out with people before or after my round. I just want a bad ass course that requires a financial commitment higher than the change anyone can find in the seat cushions of their car. Sort of like Flip City with rangers and a gate.

I would love to see it continue to grow but I would hate to see it go the way of ball golf with most courses being pay to play with outrageous greens fees.

All of us will be too old to play or dead before DG becomes as expensive as ball golf.

All of us will be too old to play or dead before DG becomes as expensive as ball golf.

I hope your right. One of the reasons I took up DG is that I'm just an average Joe blue collar guy with other financial commitments (i,e.; family). I cannot afford to play ball golf enough to become reasonably proficient at it. Playing poorly and not being able to play often enough to improve frustrates me and kills the fun.

*wags finger*

Why, when I was a boy we used to walk 300 miles to get to a disc golf course. Uphill all the way. AND WE WERE GLAD TO HAVE IT!

It just...here is the thing. Slow growth is good. Actually, it's great. The slow, steady growth of disc golf proves that we are not going anywhere.

I remember a meeting I was in, maybe 1987? Anyway, the meeting was about accommodating rollerblades in the park. Some guy on rollerblades ran over a another dude on a walking path and there was this long conversation about designating rollerblading areas becasue the damn things were everywhere.

By 1992 they were gone. They were a fad. It showed up, got huge fast, then disappeared as fast as it showed up. That happens ALL THE TIME in recreation. At Hazelwood we had a wiffleball fad in the early 90's; we actually had wiffleball leagues for three of four years. After it died we had a kickball fad for a few years. Then we had a dodgeball fad. This stuff comes and goes. We ALWAYS had a disc golf league. Once it started, we never missed a season. That league is 34 years old and going strong. THAT is the beauty of slow growth. No boom, no bust. Just a steady growth.

Anybody who wants disc golf to explode in popularity all of a sudden is rooting for a boom/bust. It would boom, courses would go in, then in would wane and courses would get pulled. I don't want that. I want the slow growth we have seen to continue.

If the sport does continue to slowly grow, maybe one day it will be a viable professional sport. Just not in my lifetime.

So I say let it keep growing like it has been. Just don't try some dumb thing to make it seem hip or cool so you can try to blow the thing up; as soon as somebody who thinks they are being hip sees me on the course they will know THAT was a lie. :|

sounds familiar to times right now. . . will anything come out of all these new ventures? Won't know for another 10 years IMO. The kids now will make or break the potential growth of the sport and if disc golf can become an "occupation"..

...So I say let it keep growing like it has been. Just don't try some dumb thing to make it seem hip or cool so you can try to blow the thing up; as soon as somebody who thinks they are being hip sees me on the course they will know THAT was a lie. :|

In total agreement with this. I did once see one decent "hip" thing: 2 young women playing Pier Park in high heels and faux-fur coats, seeming to have a great time. :)

Meh, its all spectator sports anyhoo. None of them even make my top 5[which would be disc golf, whitewater boating, mt. biking, backpacking, orienteering].

The poll should have other options. I want growth, just not at the expense of loss of accessibility to the average citizen.

Last edited:
Eh, the skateboarding thing was pure marketing to a homogeneous demographic. All skateboarders were/are white suburban male 13-18 year-old's. Once companies realized that white suburban male 13-18 year-old's all got allowances from their detached, self-absorbed baby-boomer middle-class parents and had very little restrictions on what they could spend that money on, they became a target marketing audience. Pretty soon any company that wanted a chunk of that teen market started using skateboarding as the "hip-rebel" teenage activity in their marketing, so SunnyD had kids skateboarding through waves of fake OJ in commercials to try to seem like a hip beverage and tap in to all those kids grabbing a drink at the Quicky Mart while they were buying cigarettes.

The reality to anybody who really watched the skate parks was that not very many kids actually skateboarded. It was a perception brought on by how the activity was advertised. It worked its way into our public understanding: If you say "skate punk" everybody imagines a 14-year old white male in a black Misfits T-Shirt and baggy jeans. It was marketed into a stereotype. The reality is that there just isn't that many of those kids out there.

The X-Games is just more of the same: ESPN wanted to get those white suburban male 13-18 year-old's eyes on their network so SunnyD and all the companies that wanted to sell to them would advertise on ESPN. The X Games are great for them becasue they have a targeted demographic. Anybody who wants to sell to that targeted demographic wants to advertise on the X-Games.

We don't have a targeted demographic. Are we selling to the Paul McBeth/Will Shusterwhatshisname cool kids? The middle aged Climo/Shultz wannabes? The John Ahart over 50 crowd? Hell, what about the women? What about the EDGE kids? Who are you actually trying to target? Right now we can't tell an advertiser who we are becasue we are a small slice of everybody. Without the advertising push and the money it brings with it, you are not going to see the explosive growth that the niche sports like skateboarding and snowboarding had.

What you will see is what we have seen: an activity that parks departments like becasue it gives them bang for their buck. They can serve a wide slice of their population with one activity. With each generation it slowly builds on itself. With that growth, we may one day hit a point where a multi demographic product like Coke would be interested in advertising through it. Right now Coke has a lot of more attractive advertising angles, but maybe someday.

That seems to be the mis-perception I hear most often; that we can do what skateboarding or snowboarding did. Both of those are/were activities that young white male teens participate in. They got where they are becasue they were seen as a way to tap into that market by advertisers. You would have to try to make disc golf seem like something it is not to get that model to work for us.

I would love for the game to grow in the direction of private, expensive, pay to play courses. I want tee times and guaranteed expertly groomed grounds. I would pay twenty five dollars a round for that experience. Or maybe a yearly membership fee of up to a thousand dollars for nearly unlimited use. I don't need amenities. I don't need leagues or tournaments. I don't need a course pro. I just want to pay to be separated from the unwashed masses.

When that happens, disc golf will have arrived.

Are you joking? If you have disposable income to pay $1000 in dues, buy yourself some acreage and build your own. I absolutely disagree with this mentality. Growth by exclusion? Sounds like Inbreeding

Latest posts