• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Gstar Firebird.

Peter S

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Time to lighten up our wallets once again. Gstar Firebirds are out. I will start with one to control myself. I went with a yellow 170 from discgolfcenter.

Just lost my last champion 11x Firebird in the bog at Magnolia Live Oak, Fl.

I wonder how close a new Gstar will be stability wise to a very old beat 11x that was still stable enough to handle a snap into wind.

The yellow max weight I have is almost too much beef. This is one of the proshop ones, not the production release. Not sure if anything changed.

Nothing has changed that I can tell. I walked into the local shop Monday with a red 175 pro shop G* firebird in hand, and the red 175g production stamp felt identical. Same dome and PLH. The colors of G* discs seem to help dictate what their shape will be like; all my reds are about the same and and my two orange ones are different from the reds but same as one another. Same thing goes for all the G* molds I try except the roc 3. Those either have no dome or a super dome that I have encountered.

I bought a 175 Orange one a couple weeks ago. I like it! Feels great, flies well. Definitely not super overstable, but decent.

Not what I was looking for or was expecting. I cannot explain necessarily why but I went back to my Predators. If anyone wants my three 175g orange Factory Store ones, PM me.

How much skip in the G* plastic? Obviously not as much as Champ or Star I'd imagine.
Not much. My champ Firebird (before it found the pond on 7 at BRP) has so much more skip than the G-star. Almost two completely different discs.

I like the champ or standard * better, it was 92 degrees when I tried the g* FB and as it got warmer it felt too tacky to me(could be psychological I guess).

Was slightly less OS than Champ, about the same as star.

It was a FB though, even the ones I don't love are still better than almost anything else.

I will have one in hand Monday from factory store.

Super jazzed.

Hopping for grip for cold weather and buying for cold weather bag. Love star fb, but way too erratically skippy on frozen ground. If it is a notch less os than star, that is ok. More forgiving flex for tree hitting might not be bad for a couple course I play in warm weather too.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure what to expect from the G* FB I picked up, but I am way excited with what this disc was doing in the field. I've only thrown FAF 11x Champs or FAF Glow Champs, so MEATHOOKS, and I always assumed FBs were just a beef discs. But these G* seem to be that, but with the option of being a long-straight driver that finishes like a FB if thrown with power. If that makes any sense. What I mean is that it definitely went left like any FB I've thrown, but if I powered into it I found it was a longer FB, which is awesome news because I really like the rim and shallow feel of the FB. Plus the G* grip is great.

Ha! Looks like I'm a G* fanboy! Oh well!

I wasn't sure what to expect from the G* FB I picked up, but I am way excited with what this disc was doing in the field. I've only thrown FAF 11x Champs or FAF Glow Champs, so MEATHOOKS, and I always assumed FBs were just a beef discs. But these G* seem to be that, but with the option of being a long-straight driver that finishes like a FB if thrown with power. If that makes any sense. What I mean is that it definitely went left like any FB I've thrown, but if I powered into it I found it was a longer FB, which is awesome news because I really like the rim and shallow feel of the FB. Plus the G* grip is great.

Ha! Looks like I'm a G* fanboy! Oh well!

If you are going to be a fanboy, you picked a winner. I've a stack of old Pro's that I still love, but alas, they are closer to Roadrunners in flight now. I loved them too much. I'll have to pick me up a couple or seven.

Damn, I have to get one of these now. It sounds like exactly what I need to kick out the PD and reduce my molds a bit. I love my FAF 'birds as utility discs, but I need something between them and my Teebirds.

I've got a couple on the way. I will be able to give a proper review in a month or so. They will get a good beating by that time.

I had one in my bag most of the past season, no signs of wear. Love it, good pairing with the 12x FAF.

I also bag G-P2s, G* TL3 and those also have only cosmetic wear. I gotta say the resilience of Gstar has suprised me.

Gstar bird has been great. I throw the heck out of it and no stability change yet. One of my favorite discs to throw.

I throw my Firebirds for a ton of overhand shots and rollers. The G* plastic has held up well considering the four months of regular use (and the punishment my 'birds go through). I haven't noticed any difference in flight characteristics thus far although when my discs hit cement from my errant OB shots, the rim has gotten some serious road rash. Stay clear of the concrete and you should be golden!

Latest posts