• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hacked Wiki History of Disc Golf (long removed)

Gamecock

Par Member
I happen to stumble across this on the Wikipedia page on Disc Golf and thought I would share it here. I doubt this stayed online for all to see for very long. LOL

The early history of disc golf. Mr. Frisbee and Mr. Golf were at a hockey game. Tired of the idea of two teams going at it, they decided to make an individual sport that required precision and accuracy over a distance. The debate came to what instrument they would use. Mr. Golf was a fan of a stick and a walnut, (what would soon be the club and the golf ball) while Mr. Frisbee, who was a pie-manufacturer, thought the disc like structure would be more economical way of playing the sport. However, they found the stick and walnut attracted the rich white guys and guys named Brandon, while the pie-tins attracted the obese and stoned college students.

I mentioned something about this to a disc golfing friend of mine named Brandon. Before I read it to him, I told him "Your name is mentioned in this". He kind of freaked out and said "MY Name? Why is MY name included in it"? I told him I didn't know why, but he sure laughed after I read him the above. :D

footballdoink.gif

I happen to stumble across this on the Wikipedia page on Disc Golf and thought I would share it here. I doubt this stayed online for all to see for very long. LOL

The early history of disc golf. Mr. Frisbee and Mr. Golf were at a hockey game. Tired of the idea of two teams going at it, they decided to make an individual sport that required precision and accuracy over a distance. The debate came to what instrument they would use. Mr. Golf was a fan of a stick and a walnut, (what would soon be the club and the golf ball) while Mr. Frisbee, who was a pie-manufacturer, thought the disc like structure would be more economical way of playing the sport. However, they found the stick and walnut attracted the rich white guys and guys named Brandon, while the pie-tins attracted the obese and stoned college students.

I mentioned something about this to a disc golfing friend of mine named Brandon. Before I read it to him, I told him "Your name is mentioned in this". He kind of freaked out and said "MY Name? Why is MY name included in it"? I told him I didn't know why, but he sure laughed after I read him the above. :D

Looks like something I'd come up with. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing Gamecock!

I've seen many more drunk people playing ball golf than disc golf! If I had a choice, I think I'd rather be around a bunch of stoners than drunk, sometimes belligerent jerks when I'm trying to relax. Although, this year, I've noticed not so many smokers playing or maybe they just aren't doing it in front of me b/c I'm on the board of the club. But, I have had a few friends admit to me recently that they are really trying to get better and found smoking out before playing isn't helping their game much.

Those type of people are the kind I'd sell ionized bracelets or magical vitamins to help them play better.

Or I have these magic bean this kid named jack gave me.

These stereotypes always make me giggle.

Stoner sport this, drinking sport that...

Every sport has potheads and drinkers.

White collar people get high just like the blue collars. The Earth may be little in comparison to other stuff in the cosmos, but it is still big enough to support more than one sport.

Very good point Jody, just something I've noticed in my own experience during play.

No, No, I wasn't directing that at you or anyone in particular. I've just always found it funny how some players of a certain sport like to look down on other sports for certain drug reasons or what have you.

I've played ball golf with guys that have better weed than the stereotyped fat disc golfer. While on the fat subject, how are disc golfers fat? They don't ride golf carts, they walk the entire course which sounds like exercise to me, showing that the ball golfer is actually the lazy one. I'm certainly not fat, thanks to Disc Golf and the course hikes I take daily.

Every sports pot likes to call the kettles black, it's ridiculous.

Stoner sport....gimme a break, it sucks on t.v. that's why this sport is held back. No one is going to tune in and enjoy seeing Brad Hammock doing all these crazy assed antics he does before he finally decides to throw a drive. Anny , Hyzer, stable, etc. people have the most confused looks on their face when you use those words but I've never heard anyone say, "that's a pot head fat guys sport, no good".

I think you are right, the general public doesn't immediately say...disc golf = stoner. Most are intrigued by it and ask me a lot of questions. I was thinking about the same thing you are saying regarding TV when I was watching beach volleyball last nite. Well it was actually VB on CSI Miami, but whatever, it made me think, sux that DG doesn't have an easy venue like that for TV coverage.

What part do you think isn't good for TV? The difficulty in coverage, i.e. would it be better if there were cameras at all the holes? Or, do you just not get a good grasp of what is actually happening with shaping lines, etc through the woods? Is it just too boring to viewers and only fun to play?

I think the best coverage of DG I've ever seen is Hole 1 at Winthrop during USDGC. When they throw down the middle, the multiple camera angles make for good TV. However, if players take the line on the left, it's completely blind to the viewers, so that could be improved. Also the hole at Winthrop with the OB in front marked by the bales of hay and the water behind it makes for pretty good viewing.

Why does it have to get so technical with terms in DG anyway?

P.S. The first time I saw Brad do his pre-throw ritual, I thought a bee or something had gotten into his shirt.

These stereotypes always make me giggle.

Stoner sport this, drinking sport that...

Every sport has potheads and drinkers.

White collar people get high just like the blue collars. The Earth may be little in comparison to other stuff in the cosmos, but it is still big enough to support more than one sport.

I've play ball golf with all my life as well. There are more drinking on the links than any DGC I've ever seen (except maybe HB or Taylor Lake ;) ). And Just as much herbal medicating. Like Jody said, take a poll of every demographic, and you'll get similiar #'s for any specific group in it.......And there are very few fat guys in this sport

Last edited:
I don't think the general public even knows enough about disc golf to stereotype it as a "stoner" sport.

I think you are right, the general public doesn't immediately say...disc golf = stoner. Most are intrigued by it and ask me a lot of questions. I was thinking about the same thing you are saying regarding TV when I was watching beach volleyball last nite. Well it was actually VB on CSI Miami, but whatever, it made me think, sux that DG doesn't have an easy venue like that for TV coverage.

What part do you think isn't good for TV? The difficulty in coverage, i.e. would it be better if there were cameras at all the holes? Or, do you just not get a good grasp of what is actually happening with shaping lines, etc through the woods? Is it just too boring to viewers and only fun to play?

I think the best coverage of DG I've ever seen is Hole 1 at Winthrop during USDGC. When they throw down the middle, the multiple camera angles make for good TV. However, if players take the line on the left, it's completely blind to the viewers, so that could be improved. Also the hole at Winthrop with the OB in front marked by the bales of hay and the water behind it makes for pretty good viewing.

Why does it have to get so technical with terms in DG anyway?

P.S. The first time I saw Brad do his pre-throw ritual, I thought a bee or something had gotten into his shirt.

Better/Multiple camera angles and good commentating (Cubby and his partner suck at it on the DG monthly youtube vids). Even that Crazy Charlie guy or whatever his name is from the World's sucked at it.

It's nice that they do the DG Monthly vids but seriously, close your eyes and just listen to them commentate, they sound like they're from another planet, not trying to describe a sport. Neither of them can form a coherent sentence to say their life, much less educate people on the sport.

Cubby; Bobby takes the annyline with his Z Comet.

Other Guy; uh, yea, ok, uh... I would have went with a Thumber.

I have had so many blank stares trying to tell people stuff like this. Imagine how it would look if the Vibram Open were debuting on E.S.P.N. tomorrow. People would think, WTF!!! These guys are doing the dope...

LOL...that's actually another very good point. It took me some time to understand the terms and I was trying to apply them. I think a good commentator does need to understand the audience better to expand viewing. It's like a good teacher, they can make even the most complex concepts understandable at an elementary level.

When I watch those videos it seems very amateur and forced. I would love to see someone like Greg Hosfield, someone with real personality do some commentary.

i used to work at a country club in the kitchen, and sometimes in the summer, id be on drink caddy duty where i would run alcoholic beverages out to golfers on certain holes. those guys drank like fish, and there was more than one instance where i would drive up over a hill, only to spot a group of rich country club members toking up under a tree.

Latest posts