• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Halo Plastic Series

Has anyone figured out the actual difference between Halo Star and normal Star? How is there a different molding behavior resulting in increased overstability?

I love the feel and flight of the few I've tried.

I think it's either the time delay thing of shooting one color then another allowing the outer rim to have a head start slightly or the difference in shrinking of the different colors or even a combo of both.

What is weird though is that the Trilogy ones seem to be all over the place in stability (from my reading of reviews) while the Innova Halo stuff has been more reliably more stable then normal star.

The only halo that I just accidentally happen to fall in love with is the Leopard3. Other than that, I don't buy them because the are expensive and heavier than most of what I would prefer to throw over a 7 speed anyway. The L3 throws stable for sure but beats in nicely and holds a nice slot in my bag, also is my only ace disc so far in my less than one year disc golf career. LOL Recently though, the Crave is giving it a run for its money. The plastic on the halo just feels more dense than all of my other star plastic. They look cool though and thats what gets me.

The only halo that I just accidentally happen to fall in love with is the Leopard3. Other than that, I don't buy them because the are expensive and heavier than most of what I would prefer to throw over a 7 speed anyway. The L3 throws stable for sure but beats in nicely and holds a nice slot in my bag, also is my only ace disc so far in my less than one year disc golf career. LOL Recently though, the Crave is giving it a run for its money. The plastic on the halo just feels more dense than all of my other star plastic. They look cool though and thats what gets me.

IDK if you like Terns, but the halo Tern is definitely worth a look. It flies true to the numbers, and bombs.

The only halo disc I'm really not in love with is the Shryke. Seemingly glideless and beefy.

IDK if you like Terns, but the halo Tern is definitely worth a look. It flies true to the numbers, and bombs.

The only halo disc I'm really not in love with is the Shryke. Seemingly glideless and beefy.

Which makes it my max D FH disc...but I agree.

I'm probably a little late to the "Halo Party," but I agree the Terns are really nice. Dear Innova, you're welcome for the moolah on your overpriced but attractive product.

Since I'm one of the few that love Star Beasts, I just ordered a couple of the Halo Stars. Hopefully they have some dome!

Does anybody know if the Beasts are still using the X mold? I was under the impression moving forward Innova was keeping all Beasts as Beast-X. However, the pics I've seen lead me to believe they've switched back to L-molds.

I have and currently throw a Halo Sidewinder. It is more overstable than a champ sidewinder. I like it because I can throw it on a nice low hyzer and have it flip up and give a bit of turn with the most gentle fade at the end. As the sidewinder is my favorite driver to throw, I use it all over the place.

Does anybody know if the Beasts are still using the X mold? I was under the impression moving forward Innova was keeping all Beasts as Beast-X. However, the pics I've seen lead me to believe they've switched back to L-molds.

Bump for this question, has anyone held a halo beast to confirm configuration?

Bump!

My brother got me a Halo Valk for Christmas and the outside edge of the rim looks like pearly Gstar plastic...is this common? The only other Halos I own aren't at my house currently and I can't recall if they have it or not (3 yellow/3 red Wraiths).

4Jw600a.jpg

Bump!

My brother got me a Halo Valk for Christmas and the outside edge of the rim looks like pearly Gstar plastic...is this common? The only other Halos I own aren't at my house currently and I can't recall if they have it or not (3 yellow/3 red Wraiths).

4Jw600a.jpg

Every Halo I've seen looks like that.

The Red rimmed ones I have seem to be more dull and have a bit less of the pearly look. Blue/Orange/Purple/Pink rims all show more pearly. Don't know about the other colors (Black/Yellow/Teal/Chartreuse).

Some Halo discs have the marbled appearance of G*, but the plastic is better. It's stiffer and more durable.

Halo plastic is good stuff, from what I've seen. Durable, and it'll maintain its flight characteristics for a very long time.

Some Halo discs have the marbled appearance of G*, but the plastic is better. It's stiffer and more durable.

Halo plastic is good stuff, from what I've seen. Durable, and it'll maintain its flight characteristics for a very long time.

I lost my beat Thunderbird and have loved Valks for years so it's a good middle ground...I've never thrown one I'm excited to get out again! Plus I just lost an old friend on Thanksgiving:

VgfeJ1X.jpg

Seems to be the trend with a few tour series molds changing from swirly star to Halo so far (Wraith '19 Walker -> '21 Gurthie, Destroyer '20 -> '21 Heimburg, and Leopard3 '20 Fajkus -> '21 Scoggins) for 2021. Each of those had a non-tour series run in 2020.

Other swirly star tour series from the past few years were the Koling Thunderbird, Barsby Eagle, '20 Walker TL3, '19 Gurthie Wombat3

Remaining Innova Star team members with TS discs - 2020 and prior :
Sexton (USDGC) - CG Firebird, Nexus Firefly, Stock Signature Star XCalibur new for '21
Koling - Swirly Thunderbird
Salonen - Star Destroyer '20, Star Aviar3 '19
Bloomros - Luster Ch. Roc3
Barsby (1x WC) - Swirly Eagle, Stock Signature Star Roadrunner
Wysocki (2x WC) - Galactic KC Pro Aviar, Pro Pig, Stock Signature Ch. Teebird3 & Star Destroyer

Valerie Mandujano already took the Galactic Pro Aviar Driver for '21 so Ricky will be switching one of his. Innova has done generic team TS Pro Roc3 and Aviar P&A the past couple years so maybe one or more of the remaining will take those. Could see one or both of the FPO players choose the Halo Shryke/Valkyrie/TL3/Roadrunner. Champion team did have 2 different TS Shryke variants already though.

Could see Barsby switch the Eagle plastic (Glow or CG, Luster?) or a different mold entirely since he hasn't been enthusiastic with the swirly star Eagles so far (still working in the first 2019 ones in 2020).

Innova 'stock' Halo Star to dealers for the following molds ('22 TS)
Roc3 (J. Allen)
Roadrunner (Korver)
Firebird (King)
Boss (Koling)
Thunderbird (Blomroos)
TL3 (Salonen)
Savant
Mystere
Aero * LE 40 year anniversary

Factory Store Halo 'Stock-like' stamp releases (excluding released to dealers above)
Star Polecat
Nexus Aviar Driver
Star & Nexus Aviar P&A
Star AviarX3
Star Invader
Star Mako3
Star Wombat3
Star Lion
Star Leopard3
Star Teebird3
Star Sidewinder
Star Valkyrie
Star Beast
Star Mamba
Star Tern
Star Wraith
Star Shryke
Star Destroyer
Glow Star Wraith * Factory store logo stamp
Star Juggernaut * Factory store logo stamp

CFR/LE Halo Releases
Star Rhyno
Star XCalibur
Star Orc
Star Teebird
Star Roc

2023 Innova TS discs (so far)
Carry over same plastic & mold:
Heimburg Halo Star Destroyer
Gurthie Halo Star Wraith
Sexton CG Champion Firebird (April Fools stamp, expect a different TS stamp eventually)
King Halo Star Hawkeye
J. Allen CG Champion Teebird
Queen CG Star Wraith
Williams CG Pro Pig

New Plastic/Mold/Player:
Scoggins Halo CG Star Leopard3
Salonen Halo CG Star Aviar3
Barsby Halo Star Charger
Korver Halo Star Tern (170-172g)
Beach CG MF Champion Destroyer
Weese Echo Star Destroyer (170-172g)
Finley CG Star IT
Heinanen CG Star Teebird

Remaining Innova touring Star/Champion team releases:
Brathwaite
Freeman
Koling
Mertsch
Star team member 2nd disc releases (Brathwaite is back, Freeman & Mertsch are both new promotions)

Infinite Discs Halo S-Blend & Millennium Helio Sirius releases
Tomb
Centurion
Anubis
Exodus
Sphynx
Dynasty
Scepter
Emperor
Pharaoh
Slab
Czar

Scorpius
Quasar
Falcon
Draco
Vela

Any I missed? I would speculate based on remaining TS that Halo (CG Star or plain Star or Nexus/JK Glow) Eagle/XCal/Boss/TL3/Whale/Xero/AviarX3/Firefly/Toro/Sonic/AviarX/Firebird/Roc3/Rhyno/Teebird3/Mako3 might come along.

Hard to say what Brathwaite's choices will be with his limited molds ITB. He has had DX Roc, swirly Star Destroyer, and Color Glow Star Destroyers for TS discs in the past.

Still have not owned a single Halo mold. Am I missing out on anything special in any of them?

It depends--do you want a domey, more OS version of a disc you bag? (Overstability ranging from Champion plastic range to flying like an entirely different mold)

The only Halo that's stuck around for me is the '21 Calvin Destroyer as my beefiest distance driver for wind or absolute must-hyzers. I think Swirly Star is a much better "special plastic" that is more throwable for most people.

Still have not owned a single Halo mold. Am I missing out on anything special in any of them?

I think the Halo plastic blends & molding process produce more consistent discs. I assume there is a bit more time spent cooling in the mold for the halo effect and they are produced in smaller runs.
  • '21 Heimburg Destroyers and GG Wraiths were great and pretty OS to start (stock Star runs for both molds have lost a little stability the past few years)
  • First run Halo Destroyers (non-Tour series) were also very good and OS bomber distance drivers. Scorpius and Heimburg Jonesboro '22 commemorative bottom stamp Destroyer runs are similar.
  • Shrykes/Falcons/Pharaohs are really solid neutral bombers
  • Probably the best flying premium Bosses/Quasars in a while (OS + glide).
Have not thrown many more of the distance drivers but the Heimburg TS ('22) which was a bit domey/soft star blend for my liking. It does seem like there aren't a ton of 'dud' distance drivers produced in Halo.

I don't see that much difference between the lower speed discs (RR, TB3, TL3) in Halo Star and the average stock Star. Often the Halo Star runs have equal stability to the more stable Star versions and have less variability from the flight numbers.

Latest posts