• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hand care.

practically invincible

Birdie Member
So it's chilly and dry here in lovely Colorado, and I was wondering if you guys have any neat gadgets or balms or something to keep the hands a touch tacky. I'm even losing grip on some soft gateway stuff because my hands are so dry. I've tried some plain ol' hand lotions but the greasy feel is horrible on premium plastic discs. Any ideas?

It won't moisturize your hands any, but I really like the Tite Grip Lotion from GGGT. It puts a coating of a dry, tacky stuff on your hands that isn't sticky, but has great grip. I use it whenever my hands become a little slick and I start losing my grip on the discs. I really like it.

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/tite-grip-lotion-p-9.html

Alternately, I find that carrying a wet microfiber towel and wiping the disc off with that before each throw will help me get a good grip on it. This method works for me 90% of the time.

-Ryan

Have you lived here your whole life? Wanna play a round some time?

I found that cold is directly related to dryness. Obvious as it may sound for good releases at this humidity (or lack there of in our case) I keep my hands in my pockets when I am not throwing. Keeping them warmish keeps them grippy.

If you want to try a moisturizer that does very well try Aveeno. I love that stuff and it's not too greasy. Also, Bag Balm might be something you can try when you get the chance. It's a bit on the greasy side but you'll find at this altitude you want a little grease to keep your knuckles from bleeding and keep them still "moistish" after you put your hands in the freezing river at JRM.

I've lived here for about seven years now, and even with hand warmer in the pocket I dry out bad. I'd love to play but work/school keeps me up north most of the time. Or I play in Co springs where my parents live. In may my girlfriend and I are moving to a place about a thee minute walk from the teepad at edora. So after schools out we should jam.

I'm in VA, so the climate's a little different, but during the winter, I'd use lotion every day or two to keep the hands moist and then on game days, throw a hand warmer or two into the pouch of my hoodie. That kept my hands warm and my grip was fine. If I find it's tough to grip (like on cooler windy days) then I grab the disc and then exhale right when I grip the disc (you know, just like you would do if you were cleaning sunglasses or something?). Just do that around the fingers and it's enough to give me a solid grip for the throw.

I do the quarterback lick just like Mr. Delicious.
One other thing I do... I made myself a quarterback handpouch. One of those tubey-things that hang off of their waists. When I am not throwing my hands are in there. I am not the exact same climate as you but my grip seems to work well.

I've had that same problem. I just use some jason 84% aloe vera lotion (I'm a ginger...) before the round and occasionally wet my hands before i throw.

Living in texas I dont have a big problem with the cold. but when i do i use Burt's Bees almond hand creme. got addicted to it for a while cuz it smelled so damn good and i had to cut back because it got to slippery in the heat to hold discs.

This wouldn't be classified as hand care but when my hand gets sweaty in the summer I rub it in some dry dirt which gives me the extra grip I require. It's really only necessary for premium plastic disx so I don't have to do it often. The same thing would probably work in winter but you'd need to moisten your hand somehow first.

I don't use lotion or anything, but I do put a thin piece of duct tape around the area on my index finger that the disc rips from. Helps prevent chafing and blisters.

Cool. Lots of ideas to try tomorrow. I guess I'll try a little Farve action. And hope things dont go in the romanowski direction. (I don't know anything about football, so I just thought up some names I heard on sports center)

practically invincible said:
Cool. Lots of ideas to try tomorrow. I guess I'll try a little Farve action. And hope things dont go in the romanowski direction. (I don't know anything about football, so I just thought up some names I heard on sports center)
NICE. :lol: