• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Happy frisbee birthday

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I stumbled across this trivia tidbit this morning: on this day in 1957, toy company Wham-O produced the first batch of aerodynamic plastic discs, known as the "Pluto Platter" which was later changed to frisbee, in honor of William Frisbie's pie company

I should throw either my Ultimate Frisbee lid or my old Touchline golf discs today. But they're all antiques and its already raining today, so I'll probably just fondle them for awhile. :p :rolleyes:

I too, dig the Ultrastar as well as the J-star. I have a glow in the dark Ultrastar that I throw around with the kids at camp, never gets old :)

I have an Ultrastar from 1981 UPA Nationals without the Lines of Headrick. Whamo held the patent until around 1990. When the patent ran out Discraft either retooled or made a new mold with its version of the LoH. Somewhere out there is a picture with my name on a napkin where we, The UPA Coordinating Committee and the Board of Directors, made the hard decision to cut ties with the company who had supported us for so long. We felt we had to do what was best for the sport since Frisbee runs were inconsistent and not reliable for competition anymore.

Latest posts