• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest shot to master?

I don't know what the hardest is, but one I find difficult is to throw a long putt (say 35-60 feet) and giving it a chance to go in while still keeping it close enough to have a gimme if you miss. I've been using a high, lofting anhyzer putt that dies out and hyzers near the basket for these, and usually have an easy comeback putt, but I rarely get one in. There must be a better way.

Jump putt perhaps? I jump anything within 80.. some hit metal (some go in) and some lay up right next to the pin.. either way its win win...

And for me its a consisent anhyzer, like others have said getting it in the same spot all the time is a chore. Probably just need to slow my feet down and focus on my release...but still working on that.

Thanks for te support midnight. maybe one day we will both be able to throw this shot well.

for me, definitely anhyzer shots that finish flat and don't run back to the left on me.

I'm gunna have to go w/ the roller.... both the forehand and the backhand versions. There are just so many variables you have to deal with (slope, ground cover, rocks & other debris in your line) The angle at which you strike the ground is so crucial.... Also, I can't think of another shot that has a smaller margin of error.... between a great shot and a shot that ends up deep in the poop. :p

I'm gunna have to go w/ the roller.... both the forehand and the backhand versions. There are just so many variables you have to deal with (slope, ground cover, rocks & other debris in your line) The angle at which you strike the ground is so crucial.... Also, I can't think of another shot that has a smaller margin of error.... between a great shot and a shot that ends up deep in the poop. :p

I'm gonna hafta disagree, with an asterisk. For sky rollers, as in throw a roadrunner with annie so it flips over and eventually starts rolling, absolutely!

But I find that if I just forehand a midrange right at the ground, like a very low tomahawk, its fairly easy to control for direction. Also a rolling disc is easier to sneak between trees than a shot flying through the air, so it open up alot more lines for you.

Star Gator, throw it straight at the ground. Fat rim rolls like a little tire, overstability makes it fight against flipping on its back, so you can really whip it straight at the ground without it just flopping down.

I'd say the long straight drive is the hardest shot to master. Think about it, many wooded holes are a tunnel of sorts, but most of them have some curve to them. Why are the straight tunnel shots, like the infamous Hole #4 at Blue Ribbon Pines, so tough and intimidating?

Because its a heckuva lot harder to get a disc to fly 400ft dead straight than it is to get it to fly on a 400ft curve. Especially since most ppl cant throw 400ft. If you short it on the curved tunnel shot, you are just partway around the curve. Thanks to inevitable low speed fade, if you short it on a dead straight route, its much harder to account for the fade and still stay in the corridor. If you disc down to a midrange with less fade, you lose distance, so therein lies the problem

The long, straight tunnel shots psyche me out, but I don't know if that qualifies for them being the hardest. I think I'd have a lot more trouble trying to master the roller. It's sooooo terribly unpredictable, especially if there's any wind at all. After that, the thumber has proven difficult for me to learn, at least as far as throwing for any distance is concerned. It's such an awkward way to hold a disc. Third on my list would probably the forehand drive. I can't get mine out to much more than 200', but it would be terribly useful to be able to throw a forehand drive for full-length holes.

so i was just thinking, has anyone ever played a full round blindfolded(drives only/ putting would be ridiculous)?

me and a couple friends tried it out the other day and suprisingly i didnt do as bad as i thought i would....i guess i play this course too much,as i was only 4 strokes off my avg...lol...

they have done a blindfolded doubles tourney on the par 2 tiki course at the grange. longest hole on the course is about 125. all shots blindfolded. switch off on which partner is blindfolded (not sure if this was every other hole or after nine). sounded like a blast.

Really? someone showed it to me a couple weeks ago and within a week I was pretty consistent with it. It's all about the technique.

pretend you're trying to throw a spiral with a football (roll your wrist). keep it close to your ear. use something more overstable than your putter.

For me the thumber and the forehand are ok shots. My thumber doesn't get huge D (maybe 200 ft with a champ Boss), but I've thrown 300+ forearm. I'm just now starting to get the hang of an anhyzer to replace a few of my forehand holes. Hardest for me right now is a tomahawk. I just don't get the snap I need for this to fly right. The disc just goes straight until it slows down, then fades a little at the end.

Anny's are hard for me to throw consistent and low they always tend to take off on me. I also have a hard time keeping my sidearms from turning into rollers.

Because its a heckuva lot harder to get a disc to fly 400ft dead straight than it is to get it to fly on a 400ft curve. Especially since most ppl cant throw 400ft. If you short it on the curved tunnel shot, you are just partway around the curve. Thanks to inevitable low speed fade, if you short it on a dead straight route, its much harder to account for the fade and still stay in the corridor. If you disc down to a midrange with less fade, you lose distance, so therein lies the problem

Gotta agree with you entirely there mate.

Rollers are unpredictable, once its on the ground its very much luck based, there is no mastery in luck. Unless you a leprechaun.

I would also suggest the controlled turnover as NO2. Getting the disc out of the hand hyzer, flip up flat, mosy on over, and then fade back again for a hzyer,straight,anny,hyzer.
Juegos to the Rocs at El Castigador needs a KC Cheetah over it.;)

Probably sidearm drives because its so easy to release it wrong and have the disc turn over on you and go a long way in the wrong direction

I would probably say long range anhyzers or anything with my left hand. I look like a little girl trying to throw left handed.

Latest posts