• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Harp vs Zone

Harp or Zone

• Harp

Votes: 107 34.5%
  • Zone

Votes: 171 55.2%
  • Both

Votes: 32 10.3%

• Total voters
I can SEE people doing all kinds of unnecessary things and carrying more discs and molds than they need.

And I feel like you can make EITHER the Zone or the Harp cover the same types of shots.

Less is more. Get better at disc golf, not disc buying.

:clap:

Necrobump for two of my favorite putters. I just added an ESP Zone back to the bag, as my hard Harp is broken in and lost some HSS. They are now the perfect combo for most OS upshots; Harp is straight with a nice late fade & Zone is the headwind/spike hyzer/skip shot disc. If the Zone isn't enough beef, my Caiman is ridiculously OS with an abrupt dumpy fade.

My VIP Harps were never as OS as my ESP Zone, and the ESP plastic is better too (IMO). Conversely the hard Harp is the best feeling base plastic I've ever thrown and gets broken in nicely, so the two discs complement each other really well. Only major difference in the rim is bead vs. no bead, which for me is not a huge deal. I only care about having a bead if I'm actually putting.

Necrobump for two of my favorite putters. I just added an ESP Zone back to the bag, as my hard Harp is broken in and lost some HSS. They are now the perfect combo for most OS upshots; Harp is straight with a nice late fade & Zone is the headwind/spike hyzer/skip shot disc. If the Zone isn't enough beef, my Caiman is ridiculously OS with an abrupt dumpy fade.

My VIP Harps were never as OS as my ESP Zone, and the ESP plastic is better too (IMO). Conversely the hard Harp is the best feeling base plastic I've ever thrown and gets broken in nicely, so the two discs complement each other really well. Only major difference in the rim is bead vs. no bead, which for me is not a huge deal. I only care about having a bead if I'm actually putting.

I only care about not having a bead on a midrange unless it is a non Z Wasp and then Bead and No bead is not a problem when driving. When putting the disc must have a big bead or be the Magnets I use for putting or a similar Magnet like mold with the concave wing/rim say a Titanic, Hydra, or a Clutch. I can even use some drivers with a bead, the Stalker and the Impact.

Last edited:
I'm switching from the Harp to the Zone. My Harps, in BT Hard and Tournament Plastics, weren't giving me the fade I needed, especially when I threw the discs harder. I bought an ESP Zone from DiscStalker back when they were selling discs, but I'd considered it too much of a brick and OS. But I gave it another shot, and just threw it harder, and it has really performed well for me. It (the Zone) also performs well on forehand shots as I get better and more comfortable with forehands.

The ESP Zone is great, but I ordered a Titanium Zone, and maaaaannnnn that thing is sweet! Like the Ti Buzzz before it, I put it in the bag to test it out, and it is refusing to come out and sit on the sidelines again.

I'm switching from the Harp to the Zone. My Harps, in BT Hard and Tournament Plastics, weren't giving me the fade I needed, especially when I threw the discs harder. I bought an ESP Zone from DiscStalker back when they were selling discs, but I'd considered it too much of a brick and OS. But I gave it another shot, and just threw it harder, and it has really performed well for me. It (the Zone) also performs well on forehand shots as I get better and more comfortable with forehands.

The ESP Zone is great, but I ordered a Titanium Zone, and maaaaannnnn that thing is sweet! Like the Ti Buzzz before it, I put it in the bag to test it out, and it is refusing to come out and sit on the sidelines again.

Welcome to the club! Next time you feel the itch to buy plastic, check out a Jawbreaker Zone. Holy guacamole are they buttery goodness. And they beat in quick to be a perfect complement to a relatively fresh Titanium Zone.

I voted for the Harp. I use it for short forehand approaches that my Firebirds are too much for. I don't use it backhand at all. I like the deep rim, the base plastic (BT Hard), and the groundplay (minimal). I don't require substantial fade or durable plastic. I'm not throwing it all that hard either, more of a finesse shot. Funny, throwing it forehand only I hadn't even noticed that it had a bead until I read this thread.

I've only used a Zone a handful of times and it was at least 7 years ago when I hadn't developed a forehand and my game in general was not at the level it is today.

The Harp is the only disc that has never left my bag. The BT Soft May look like poo in a month, but it throws like butter for years. Saved par for me three times today.

I have been throwing Medium Harps since they came out. Harp is not as extreme as the Zone, more gently overstable. I find the Harp equally useful for BH and FH, and also use the Harp occasionally for headwind putts or FH rollers. If an approach is open or if I need to control distance, the Harp is the first disc I reach for.

Zone is a fine disc but I never clicked with it. More OS than I prefer, and faster than my putters (more of a putter-mid tweener) so I found it difficult to dial in the range. Which is funny because some folks love the Zone for range control. Eh, everyone is different.

And Moose33 is right - I have never had a Harp get too beat in, no matter what it looks like. :D

The Harp is the only disc that has never left my bag. The BT Soft May look like poo in a month, but it throws like butter for years. Saved par for me three times today.

The clovered-up BT Soft Harp I've had in my bag for two years is probably the ugliest disc I've ever owned. Still reliable though, don't know what I'd do without it

Have been a harp guy for years. Tried a Mcbeth zone just because, didn't think it was different enough to warrant switching over. I'll take bt plastic over pro d, also. Jawbreaker seems to break into straight quickly, which is not what I want from an OS putter.

Don't know why, but I always yank a Harp to the left on forehands. No problems with a Slammer, Suspect, Zone, Mortar, or Gator. Something about the Harp just doesn't do it for me. They also seem really short on backhands for me, which I don't run into with the other discs mentioned- except maybe the Slammer, but that's understandable since it's slower than the rest of 'em...

I go with the Zone. I like the feel a little better, and I haven't thrown a Harp that was as overstable as some puddle-top Zones. Meanwhile, the D Zone is very straight with a still healthy fade, and can work into a wicked quick hyzer-flip to flex disc.

I recently got both of these.
I did a short field session to compare them, and my initial impressions were more favorable towards the Zone. It felt better in my hand for the fan grip (I only throw backhands), I guess with it being beadless and not as deep. I had a cleaner release with it. Didn't notice a huge difference in the lines between the 2 of them. Going with Zone for the next 10 rounds or so and then will re-evaluate.

Necrobump...

Which plastic blend for the Harp is going to give the most consistently OS flight? Bt Hard? Moonshine? Hybrid? VIP? I'm not going to include the VIP-X as its not easily accessible.

Necrobump...

Which plastic blend for the Harp is going to give the most consistently OS flight? Bt Hard? Moonshine? Hybrid? VIP? I'm not going to include the VIP-X as its not easily accessible.

In my experience BT Soft. It will look like trash in a few rounds, but flies great and OS for years.

Necrobump...

I'd say the premium plastics (meaning not the BT Hard/Medium/Soft). And they won't season in as quickly and lose fade.

My pool is limited, but I have been throwing VIP harps for 4 years at this point.
I had a medium once but it got to the point where its flight was similar to a fresh(er) marshal so I dropped it out and never bothered to get another.

My VIP harps all have a very similar flight including my VIP-X, I rotate between 4 main ones because I got a misprint pack years ago.
The most seasoned one is still at least a 0, 2 if not even 2.5-3 when it comes to fade.
Messing around with other peoples harps and just seeing the flights, VIP is not the most overstable out of the box, but I would say it holds the same flight for the longest.

Lastly, if you have an OAT-y putter flick these are not as reliable as there BT counterparts, but for smooth FH and BH approaches, they feel great.

I'd say the premium plastics (meaning not the BT Hard/Medium/Soft). And they won't season in as quickly and lose fade.

Have you thrown a BT Soft? I agree with you on the medium and hard, but the soft ones typically puddle top with dings and it magically makes them hold stability. I have both a TP and a VIP and I think TP is also well OS, but the soft ones have some wizardry.