• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Paige Pierce peaked?

So essentially, what you are asking for is for there to be zero sports fans.

Maybe you should think about the consequences of your desire.

Very interesting hot take you have there. That is a huge leap, and I don't see any benefit of jumping down that rabbit hole. I could turn it around and ask you to think about the consequences of putting a negative spin on things.

I haven't put a negative spin on things, you may be thinking of other posters. And this is the rabbit hole you are already in, per your posts in this thread.

Is it easier for a MPO player to reach 1000 rated than a FPO player?

I believe so, due to the fact that there is just not enough FPO pros with a high enough rating to boost the overall rating of the round(s). So Paige, Catrina really has to clean up on the field in order to get a 1000+ rated round.

I haven't put a negative spin on things, you may be thinking of other posters. And this is the rabbit hole you are already in, per your posts in this thread.

You are just trolling me now, lol. Have a good one.

I believe so, due to the fact that there is just not enough FPO pros with a high enough rating to boost the overall rating of the round(s). So Paige, Catrina really has to clean up on the field in order to get a 1000+ rated round.

Serious question here that the numbers guys will hopefully be able to address. Just looking for some data that could be interesting.

Have enough FPO vs. MPO rounds been played on the exact same course layouts to see how the ratings would compare apples to apples if there was only 1 Open Division? Or what if a FPO player played in MPO, vise-versa, etc?

Thanks in advance for any insight. :hfive:

Last edited:
Serious question here that the numbers guys will hopefully be able to address. Just looking for some data that could be interesting.

Have enough FPO vs. MPO rounds been played on the exact same course layouts to see how the ratings would compare apples to apples if there was only 1 Open Division? Or what if a FPO player played in MPO, vise-versa, etc?

Thanks in advance for any insight. :hfive:

It used to be the norm so there's lots of data. When every event was a shotgun start with FPO on the same course as the MPO, they not only played the same course, but at the same time.

That's not how it works at all. Higher rated propagators do not beget higher rated rounds.

Paige got a 1031 Rated round in USDGC 2017 when she played with the men ( one of her highest ever ratings ), that high rating was what got me thinking that it was easier to get a high rating if you play in open

That's not how it works at all. Higher rated propagators do not beget higher rated rounds.

I have had this discussion with many people over the years and contrary to what anyone says, it's always seems to be the same thing, the end result is if the field has higher rated players, that causes the avg rating for par to be higher. "ratings in = ratings out"

I have had this discussion with many people over the years and contrary to what anyone says, it's always seems to be the same thing, the end result is if the field has higher rated players, that causes the avg rating for par to be higher. "ratings in = ratings out"

The PDGA website has a ratings FAQ that seems to confirm that this is the case. For a given round they consider 1000 rated to be "scratch golf," which is influenced by the scores and ratings of people who played that course at the same time.

To get the highest rated players to show up, you need to run the highest quality tournament. Highest quality par for MPO is par that reflects the play of 1000-rated players (930 for FPO).

Errorless play by 1000-rated players can be rated anywhere from about 1000 to about 1030, depending on how punishing the course is and the weather. It does not really depend on who shows up.

If you see a par that is rated less than 1000, the likely cause is that the TD didn't bother to set par appropriately for the Open division. That lack of effort may keep highly rated players away.

Par is set before the event, it is not adjusted to 1000-rated at the end of the event.

If you see a par that is rated less than 1000, the likely cause is that the TD didn't bother to set par appropriately for the Open division. That lack of effort may keep highly rated players away.

Interesting. I didn't know that, thx.

This thread was started humorously, but this is a serious question: will Paige Pierce win more World Championships, and if so, how many?

She's tied Juliana Korver and Elaine King at 5x with the 2019 World title. 6x would be unprecedented in FPO. She's dominant right now, and there is little FPO competition for her. But that may change with the Euro women rising up. And Paige is not getting any younger, and she's too-often having to come from behind after slow starts.

So... will Paige keep up the dominance and win more World titles?

(My answer is yes, and she will win at least two more World titles.)

This thread was started humorously, but this is a serious question: will Paige Pierce win more World Championships, and if so, how many?

She's tied Juliana Korver and Elaine King at 5x with the 2019 World title. 6x would be unprecedented in FPO. She's dominant right now, and there is little FPO competition for her. But that may change with the Euro women rising up. And Paige is not getting any younger, and she's too-often having to come from behind after slow starts.

You taking that for '21 and '23?

If they keep playing golf courses she will have more titles than climo

But will she stay "hungry" to win?. . she even said in the victory interview that "she needed to start to practise" after a slow start of the year and she did not play/train much in the of season.

I think it´s hard to motivate one self to train when you can win anyway

Latest posts