• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you ever played Ultimate?

Ultimate and Age

• I'm over 50 and played Ultimate

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • I'm over 50 and did not play Ultimate

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • I'm over 40 and played Ultimate

Votes: 15 8.5%
  • I'm over 40 and did not play Ultimate

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I'm over 30 and played Ultimate

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I'm over 30 and did not play Ultimate

Votes: 22 12.5%
  • I'm over 20 and played Ultimate

Votes: 38 21.6%
  • I'm over 20 and did not play Ultimate

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters
It was a club sport at Rutgers in the 1970s. I played in 1980 - 1982. I have played in a few pick up games since. At 57, I can move pretty well, but I don't have the sprint speed that I once had. Great game, and it's where I learned to throw side arm and tomahawk.

I think I had a 2 week block of it in 9th grade PE. That's about the extent of my disc skills before I started playing.

Never played it before.

I do have a ultimate disc for practice and catch.

Never got into any competitive leagues or tournaments but I used to play ultimate with friends at college or when we'd get together for parties. Ultimate and years of playing catch on the beach is why I decided to try DG.

I dated a girl who one day said we should play catch with a Frisbee. After about 15 minutes of never getting it anywhere close to her and failing to catch anything we quit. Still to this day that was the only time I can remember throwing a regular Frisbee.

I'd never heard of Ultimate. My high school had separate gym classes for kids who played team sports; we just lifted weights and ran during the off-season. If Ultimate was being played at the various colleges I attended, I never saw it OR saw it and wasn't curious enough to wonder what they were doing. I was in my 30's before I was actually aware of what it was.

Played quite a few times, love the game. Got a small group locally that likes to throw together pickup games - havent been going much though due to - you guessed it - disc golf.

I play three seasons of Ultimate a year currently. Played on a club team for the last two years but my knees are catching up to me so I am probably not doing that again.

Discovered ultimate around 1979 while riding through the park on my bike. It looked cool and I asked if I could play. I asked a guy named Larry Imperiale. He turned out to be one of the best freestylists from that era...world champ with the Toe Jammers. I played for the Chico State Airheads. We beat the current world champions, Dark Star of Eugene, OR at our tournament that we hosted. Chico State had an object course on campus that I played twice. I still never heard about disc golf until I was 40 years old. I missed out on my formative years!

I also played for the Penn State Highly Enlightened Lords of the Valley from '85-'87 while in grad school. We were not good and lost to almost everyone we played. I remember Penn just kicking our butts hard. They had about 70 players on their team and just kept substituting fresh guys in the game.

Actually just picked up ultimate a few weeks ago! There was a session of pick up indoor running on Friday nights about 15 minutes from my apartment. I enjoy it quite a lot and am looking to find another pickup game to stay active/fit during the season. I was always worried about throwing an ultimate disc screwing with my disc golf drive. But it really only takes about 5 minutes of playing catch with a putter after the round to get back to throwing a disc golf disc.

Fun fact (meaning I just want to brag) - an old friend of mine from my church back home in Pittsburgh, Anson Reppermund is on the pro AUDL team for Pit!

Apparently I'm part of the minorityfor this poll.. am I not cool since I've never played ultimate and am under 30?..

I don't like throwing regular frisbees. I'd rather play catch with an sss wizard if that is what I'm going to do. Otherwise, I like to aim for metal, and will probably never try ultimate.

Played on the USM college team, High Flyers, '79-'83. Played with my buddy's intramural team '85-'87 [tha ringer!]. Played Sunday pickup games in Portland '96-'02.
Still structurally in good shape, but too slow anymore for all the sprinting required.

I played a pickup game a handful of times in grad school with mostly other grad students. I wasn't great at throwing the disc but was pretty good at the rest due to my varied athletic background. That was before I started playing DG, I want to try ultimate again but I am a lot older and out of shape so I don't think it would go well.

On a tangent, I think the self-officiating aspect of ultimate is a joke. It is the sports equivalent of communism, works great in theory but poorly in practice due mostly to human nature.

Never played but conversations with the old guard reveal that many of them played "disc sports." Disc golf was just one of them. Read the definitive guide to disc golf, there are others, but all the old guys played Ultimate, guts, double disc court etc.

Double disc court looks hella fun.

I discovered Ultimate in college but wasn't interested or understood what it was. I didn't discover disc golf until my last year of college and before then if I was going to do anything that involved running and jumping it was basketball.

On a tangent, I think the self-officiating aspect of ultimate is a joke. It is the sports equivalent of communism, works great in theory but poorly in practice due mostly to human nature.

The majority of people in organized leagues are very good at following the self-officiating aspect.

At least the older/veteran players.

If the younger guys don't follow, well that's more of a comment on their morals/ethics, or lack thereof.

Just started playing in a pick-up game a couple times a week, and it's a blast. But I also haven't been this sore in quite some time. And I have a lot of wrist roll that is clearly covered up by my golf discs. :\

I played ultimate from 1995-2010 or so at a decently high level. Never was on a team that made nationals, but several times I played on open and mixed teams that got to the game to go in regionals and lost. It was tough. I made a lot of great lifetime friends and kept in great shape.

We used to play a lot at UC Santa Cruz. During byes we'd head over to Dela and play 'shade rounds' of ~ 15 holes or so and head back to the fields for our games. I've always felt that ultimate and DG were great compliments to each other and tried to play as much as possible.