• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you seen this MoFo? Golf Mahal?

Played a tourney 30 holes today in pouring rain today and I have to say my Mahal was amazing. The rain fly is awesome and everything stayed really dry. Just an amazing bag.

I was worried about the wear on the bottom of my new Mahal, so I bought a piece of heavy felt and a section of pipe insulation. I cut the felt to fit in the bottom of the main section and then cut and glued the two sections of pipe insulation in place. The discs sit on the insulation up off the bottom of the bag and don't shift around due to the slight give in the insulation. Total cost was less than $5.

I was worried about the wear on the bottom of my new Mahal, so I bought a piece of heavy felt and a section of pipe insulation. I cut the felt to fit in the bottom of the main section and then cut and glued the two sections of pipe insulation in place. The discs sit on the insulation up off the bottom of the bag and don't shift around due to the slight give in the insulation. Total cost was less than $5.

imho your bag will be *more* likely to wear with a frame in there. Every framed bag failure I've seen has been where the corner of the frame meets the bag.

imho your bag will be *more* likely to wear with a frame in there. Every framed bag failure I've seen has been where the corner of the frame meets the bag.

My 'frame' is a soft piece of felt with two sections of spongy pipe insulation on top of it. No hard edges at all.

I took out my free floating pvc set up and used pool noodles for a bit, but they moved around. I was going to secure them with a length of some thing along the bottom, but your idea of felt sounds like it would be easier. What kind of glue?

Any pics by chance?

I have a very lightly used Golf Mahal bag for sale, it is a SMALL yoke size, it was sold to me as a Medium, but it was a mistake as it is actually a small, at 6'2" it's very close to fitting, just rides a little high. It has seen under 10 rounds, and only 9 holes with me.
No tears
No holes
New run that has wider opening,and bigger putter pocket.
Pencil/card holder in center
Clean
Lifetime Warranty goes with it for manufacturer defects and wear.
All black and holds lots of discs!
Make offers!

Frame

Since there is so much talk about frames for the GM here is instructions on the frame from another user and then I added on the top part. I have not had any wear on the bottom of the bag from the frame. I rounded the edges of the "for sale" sign I used. My frame has been going for two years now with no problems.

Hey you guyyyyyyys! Just wanted to add a couple of thoughts to this bag frame. I really like this guy's design, it works really well and keeps my Mahal from tipping and sits the discs a little higher in the bag. It puts a nice little pocket for an extra towel or whatever under the disc.
Two things:
1. I found that when I added the couplings and plugs to the 8 1/2 and 8 1/4 pvc, it was too wide for the bag. The bag is around 9' wide at most. Maybe my couplings were extra thick? I suggest 7 1/2 and 7 1/4 for your pvc.

2. The biggest thing I struggled with was spending $100 for a rotozip to cut the Lexan. I ruined several pieces of Lexan trying to drill with a driver and trying different bits. I eventually settled on a "For Rent" sign at Lowe's (thick plastic $4) cutting it with a razor knife and making my holes. This seems to be working great so far because it's not like I'm putting a lot of pressure on the sides. I will be gladly returning the unopened rotozip to Lowe's and saving some $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepmart View Post
Hope this helps and thanks for the compliment!

Materials: Home Depot
2- sheets of 8"x10" Lexan Polycarbonate Sheets ($3.98 per sheet)

4- 1/2 inch pvc Plugs
(.43 cents per plug)

4- 1/2 inch pvc coupling
(.21 cents per coupling)

1- 2' piece of 1/2 inch pvc pipe
(.94 cents)

1- medium sandpaper
($2.47)

Specs:
*Cut both Lexan sheets (I left protective film on until the 'sanding' step) to measure only 5 and 3/4" inches high. Use the 8" width to your advantage cuz it's already cut to perfect size. So you'll only have to rotozip 1 time and that's to make each sheet 5 and 3/4" high. So sheets will end up 5 and 3/4"x8".
*Roto zip out 2 holes on each Lexan sheet. Measure 1 and 1/2" up from bottom and 2" from each side and there you will have the 'middle' of your holes (do this for both sides of Lexan that your plugs will wind up going into. I put the plug over the mark and traced with a sharpie and I stayed inside the sharpie circle w/ the rotozip. Make hole as snug as possible for plugs. Repeat for both pieces of Lexan.
*Cut 1 piece of 1/2" pvc pipe down to 8 and 1/2" long (this will be towards back of bag), cut other piece of 1/2" pvc pipe down to 8 and 1/4" (and this will be used towards front of bag). For some reason the back width of the center pocket is a little wider that the front width, that is why I compensated and cut the front piece a little shorter.
*Rotozip all 4 corners of Lexan pieces and sand off all edges until smooth. Unless your an expert (which I am definitely not) all areas that you rotozip will not be straight and perfect cut...which is totally cool cuz it's inside your bag
*Assemble all parts. Plugs on outside pushed towards middle, then Lexan, then coupling, then pvc pipe. When all is in place, then push on each opposing plug towards middle of frame and everything will snug up real nice. Do this on each pipe separately a few times.
*When inserting frame I had to put one side down in first and then kind of push down and to the outside and then when entire frame get's through the top of the center pocket opening it will push all the way towards bottom and fit in nicely.
*Note* I did not use any plumber glue. I did not want to make anything super permanent before I saw how it would function.

That is it (I believe I remembered everything). The whole project took about 30-45 minutes.

Santa is bringing me one for xmas this year. I'm wondering what size yoke to get. Medium is 5'9 to 6'4... I'm about 5'10 1/2... but I'm skinny. 145 soaking wet. Medium gonna work? Or would it be beneficial to get the small.

Santa is bringing me one for xmas this year. I'm wondering what size yoke to get. Medium is 5'9 to 6'4... I'm about 5'10 1/2... but I'm skinny. 145 soaking wet. Medium gonna work? Or would it be beneficial to get the small.

Call them and they will help you make that determination. Their customer service is excellent and they are super helpful.