• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you seen this MoFo? Golf Mahal?

I don't have a picture, but I always put my umbrella into the side part that has the velcro between the main compartment and side pockets. I think the spot is designed for a hydration pack? But I don't use a hydration pack and the velcro holds the umbrella perfectly.

I do too, seems more designed to retain an umbrella handle than a hydration pack. I put that into the side pockets and that seems to work better (the velcro is a pain with a hydration pack).

Wow I'm shocked this bag is now oop. Picked one up last spring because I couldn't fit an aluminum growler in my Grip. Going into season two I'm completely satisfied with it.

Being able to expand/collapse the side pockets is a feature I didn't even know I was missing. Perfect for any round. Really handy this weird warm winter, as a tourney progresses I've got some where to put all the layers I shed as the temperature goes from 25 in the morning to high 50's for the second round.

Yikes. For 4hundo$?!

I do seem to like the thought of the golf mahal bag better than Levi's lb bag. But I haven't seen one up close, I could be completely wrong in thinking that way...

Now that I have my ridge roller I am looking to get rid of my multicam Mahal with a lg yoke. I looked on Ebay to get some baseline pricing and get a good picture of what the market is but there aren't even any out there....

Crazy to see them new for 400 on Amazon.

Anyone think these will go up in value due to being oop. Or are they going to be a dinosaur.

I bought a used one right after they went oop for $150 and felt like it was a good deal. Had a couple of locals wanting to buy it for $200+

I personally think they will at least retain a good value. Not sure it will skyrocket or anything, but $200-$300 for a good shape used one, I wouldn't see being out of the question down the road.
They really are great bags. And once you carry one for a few rounds, any other bag feels like flimsy garbage IMO. They are tanks and can literally be the last bag you buy for many many years to come.

Ya I got one right before going oop. It truly is a remarkably well built amazing bag. Love the top loading design, super user friendly. What surprised me the most was how small the footprint is when fully cinched up. Then the ability to double it's size is awesome. I'd say with how much new high end bags are going for $400 isn't so out of line for a bag you won't be able to buy new ever again and a unique design unlike anything else on the market that's built like a tank

If anyone knows someone that ones a size small black and gray mahal let me know. I am looking to sell. $200 shipped.

I had a mahal for years and switched to the octothorpe...no regrets. I really liked the mahal, but it was just too heavy and the putter pocket always bugged me. I also wanted a true rain fly and I find the vertical pockets to be much more effective than the saddle style of the mahal. I've been using the octothorpe at least 6 months now, would be happy to answer any compare/contrast questions.

So, the Octo is lighter empty than the Mahal? Does the Octo bottle holders hold tall 40oz hydroflasks better/same/worse than the Mahal?

So, the Octo is lighter empty than the Mahal? Does the Octo bottle holders hold tall 40oz hydroflasks better/same/worse than the Mahal?

It has a hydro flask setup, which would be infinitely better right, quick to drink and you don't have to take in/out and so forth...

Unless your putting beer in the 40. Then, I like your style!

My follow up questions:

I'm curious as to how guys carry around fluid, like beer or powerade, that they don't want to put in the bladder. I like to equally distribute pack weight , but there's only one bottle holder on the Octo. I'm guessing the big pocket works well enough as a second bottle holder, but probably not as well having an actual bottle holder, right?

If you overloaded the pockets for a prolonged period of time, like traveling with it fully loaded with clothing and or discs, would that leave "stretch marks" on the flexible material that the bag is made out of?

My follow up questions:

I'm curious as to how guys carry around fluid, like beer or powerade, that they don't want to put in the bladder. I like to equally distribute pack weight , but there's only one bottle holder on the Octo. I'm guessing the big pocket works well enough as a second bottle holder, but probably not as well having an actual bottle holder, right?

If you overloaded the pockets for a prolonged period of time, like traveling with it fully loaded with clothing and or discs, would that leave "stretch marks" on the flexible material that the bag is made out of?

As far as beverage bottles go, I am also a fan of a symetrical water bottle set up too, so I can see where you are coming from with that. However I haven't noticed any "lopsided" feeling in the weight distribution of the bag with only one bottle. Also, the opposite pocket holds any bottle you could want just fine. I kept a 32 oz bottle in the other pocket all week for Am Worlds as well as extra towels and the rain fly in that same pocket and it was fine.

I don't really understand your second question.

My follow up questions:

(I went from Mahal to Octo, no looking back).

Why are you averse to the bladder?

Regarding the big pocket...it works fine for holding a water bottle. It wouldn't be good if you wanted to have two beverages that you were drinking at an equal rate, but if you just need a place to keep it until the other one is empty; it's totally fine for that.

I have a bladder that I really enjoy using but don't want to go through the hassle of for casual rounds. In that case, I just put one drink in the actual bottle holder and the other drink in the small zippered compartment on the same side. I keep utility discs in the big pouch so the bag doesn't feel lopsided.

Anywho, the bladder is unbelievably slick. I'd highly recommend going that route if you haven't tried it.

I'm mostly lazy and don't want to clean out a bladder every time I want to use one for non water. I don't doubt the bladder feature works fantastically well, just wanted to know how bottles equate into the Octo equation. Thanks for the info. If the courses were more demanding around here I'd be tempted to buy one. As is, I can barely justify using a Mahal all the way slimmed down.

I'm mostly lazy and don't want to clean out a bladder every time I want to use one for non water. I don't doubt the bladder feature works fantastically well, just wanted to know how bottles equate into the Octo equation. Thanks for the info. If the courses were more demanding around here I'd be tempted to buy one. As is, I can barely justify using a Mahal all the way slimmed down.

I actually got the octo because of how much better it slims down. The mahal still feels big even fully cinched. I also think the putter pocket is wayyyyy better. If you are really looking for a lighter carry, 13-15 discs total, I imagine you could just use one water bottle in the big square pocket and one in the actual water bottle carrier. If you want pics of certain loads/configurations, just post what you are trying to carry and I can make it happen.

If you have any other questions, let me know. But I got the octo to go smaller and I sold my mahal almost immediately after that.

This thread still lives?

I still have my Mahal and I use it occasionally although it's not my primary bag.

The Mahal for me works really well when strapped to a modified golf pull-cart. It's got a bunch of tie down options so it adapts really well to this situation.

Other than that, I use it in the winter. Also I like it for doing course design work as it can hold everything I need such as paint and flags and drinks and discs.

My main bag is still a custom rasta Phenix with the truck bed liner. Love this bag to this day.

How do you tell what size the bag is. I think mine is a small but I am not sure and can not remember what I ordered.

Latest posts