• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you seen this MoFo? Golf Mahal?

Question. How much padding is on the back? I understand the yoke system makes it ride more comfortably, but I also want it to have a good amount of cushioning. My chimp/quads have been irking my lower back lately, and I want a bag that's as comfortable as possible. Trying to decide between this or the spinal tap. The lifetime warranty is appealing, but I need to know if its comfortable.

It's SUPER comfortable - The Golf Mahal uses the Mystery Ranch Futura Yoke system, which is designed for back-country backpacking.

It's SUPER comfortable - The Golf Mahal uses the Mystery Ranch Futura Yoke system, which is designed for back-country backpacking.

Thing is, a backpack system designed for carrying a heavy load for 1, 2, 3, 4 miles at a time could quite possibly be very different from a backpack system designed to carry things 100, 200, 300, 400 feet at a time.

I have a Golf Mahal and haven't taken it to the course yet. So many straps just hanging around, including what I consider a useless waist belt.

Half the time with my Grip, ProDiscus, or lately any of my PF Challengers, I'll throw it over a shoulder and just do it that way.

Comfort means different things for different people and for different tasks. I don't regret buying my Golf Mahal, but I have considered selling it a few times.

I have a Golf Mahal and haven't taken it to the course yet. So many straps just hanging around, including what I consider a useless waist belt.

You must have an old one, the new run features a removable waist belt system. Other than that the only other straps are the ones that hold the rainfly down when you zip it closed.

"Half the time with my Grip, ProDiscus, or lately any of my PF Challengers, I'll throw it over a shoulder and just do it that way."

Is there any reason that a Mahal can't be thrown over your shoulder for those short walks?

"Half the time with my Grip, ProDiscus, or lately any of my PF Challengers, I'll throw it over a shoulder and just do it that way."

Is there any reason that a Mahal can't be thrown over your shoulder for those short walks?

I do it all the time.

Just received my foliage Mahal (thanks mm1983!) and can't wait to get it fitted and stuffed with my favorite plastic!

First impression is...wow! The materials, stitching, buckles, everything looks so high quality. And it really does look more compact in person.

Looking forward to spending some time with this baby!

You must have an old one, the new run features a removable waist belt system. Other than that the only other straps are the ones that hold the rainfly down when you zip it closed.

I got it last fall. I haven't been playing that long. :D The waist belt is definitely not removable, and they only recently debuted the 3.0.

No. I'm just saying the Yoke itself doesn't necessarily make it "comfortable" because the yoke is designed for longer, heavier packing.

I can see the "sling a strap on the shoulder and walk" approach being easier with other bags for sure...but not really more comfortable overall.

To me, the Yoke itself is what sets the Mahal apart from others comfort wise. Long or short haul. Big or small load. Perhaps rocking the one strap on a Grip would feel better for a second, on a short course, with fewer discs, etc. But I usually wear both straps, especially for comfort's sake. The way the Yoke contours to shape and size enables it to ride especially well for any individual.

I do see what you mean. A day pack can be more comfortable than a multi-day/expedition pack. Especially if that's all you need.

You can load up the Mahal enough to make it a bit uncomfortable but I would argue that another bag carrying the same load would be worse; assuming it could even carry the same load. The Yoke system makes that difference.

I guess it comes down to how much you carry/how much of a minimalist you are. Sometimes a NutSac beats a Mahal on a short course where you don't need much. Ya know? But any time you're carrying a decent amount of discs and extra stuff in the bag, I feel the Mahal is the clear winner for comfort.

You realize, you just gave a thumbup to a post that happened over 2 years ago... Right? Back before Grip and Voodoo were even companies? Before spending 200$ on a bag was even thinkable to most DGers. Now you can either spend 200$ on a bag made in Taiwan where the workers are probably payed in rice, or spend 250-260 on the A-Frame/SpinalTap/Mahal.

Mahal is by far the best bang-for-the-buck as far as DG bags go. And I don't have any of the bags, so I don't really have an allegiance.. I just see Grip as paying more for the Grip logo than the materials, and SpinalTap only has 5 year warranty.

This post is way too long to be in response to a highschool kid that's only been on DGCR for a month... but man.. I despise ignorance.

You realize, you just gave a thumbup to a post that happened over 2 years ago... Right? Back before Grip and Voodoo were even companies? Before spending 200$ on a bag was even thinkable to most DGers. Now you can either spend 200$ on a bag made in Taiwan where the workers are probably payed in rice, or spend 250-260 on the A-Frame/SpinalTap/Mahal.

Mahal is by far the best bang-for-the-buck as far as DG bags go. And I don't have any of the bags, so I don't really have an allegiance.. I just see Grip as paying more for the Grip logo than the materials, and SpinalTap only has 5 year warranty.

This post is way too long to be in response to a highschool kid that's only been on DGCR for a month... but man.. I despise ignorance.

:clap:

I just ordered a midnight one, and I'm going to get some zipper pulls from djren. How many zippers are on the bag? It looks like 8 but just wanted to make sure.

I count 10 pulls on my bag

Question--Has anyone cleaned their bag yet? I have had mine for about a year now and have recently played a couple muddy courses and would like to give my bag a bath....any suggestions?

I am about 95% certain that I will buy this as some point... is anyone really tall and own one of these? I am nearly 6'-6" and am really interested in the different yokes so that I can actually own a bag that fits me and sits correctly. I don't like all of the 1 size fits all bags as their waist belts almost always come across my stomach and are completely useless or end up sitting on my middle back instead of the lower back.

Thing is, a backpack system designed for carrying a heavy load for 1, 2, 3, 4 miles at a time could quite possibly be very different from a backpack system designed to carry things 100, 200, 300, 400 feet at a time.

Half the time with my Grip, ProDiscus, or lately any of my PF Challengers, I'll throw it over a shoulder and just do it that way.

Comfort means different things for different people and for different tasks. I don't regret buying my Golf Mahal, but I have considered selling it a few times.

These are the same complaints I have with mine. Way too many straps..I have to put a rubberband around them to keep them out of the way. It served me well for the past year though. It's gonna get some rest while I break my new A series in.

I am about 95% certain that I will buy this as some point... is anyone really tall and own one of these? I am nearly 6'-6" and am really interested in the different yokes so that I can actually own a bag that fits me and sits correctly. I don't like all of the 1 size fits all bags as their waist belts almost always come across my stomach and are completely useless or end up sitting on my middle back instead of the lower back.

My medium yoke almost fits my 6'6" buddy. The yokes are more adjustable than just 3 sizes. I have about a foot of play in my medium.

I just ordered a midnight one, and I'm going to get some zipper pulls from djren. How many zippers are on the bag? It looks like 8 but just wanted to make sure.

5 sets of 2 (main, 2 big sides, 2 cup-holder looking side pockets), then 3 more individuals in the interior.