• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you seen this MoFo? Golf Mahal?

I think you are talking about a motorized cart but I have a similar support issue when using my push cart. The bottom sags and makes it hard to put discs back in the main compartment. Every now and then I have to reach under the bag and push the bottom up so that the discs will fall back in line. My biggest support problem though when using my push cart is the front where the putter pocket is bulges out and warps the putters if I have both in. If you look at the front lip in this picture you can see the bulge I am talking about.

Looks like a sweet setup. What cart is that?

Finally got another Mahal for myself,this one belonged to a friend so it's used but MR already sent me a RA to send it in for repairs . this will be my 4th Mahal ,I've had to sell others for stupid reasons but I'm happy to have one again,it's my favorite bag I've every owned.

I'll be ordering an all-black within the hour. Haven't been this excited to spend money in a loooong time :)

So I called up MR over my lunch break and giddily placed my order. Less than an hour later I had an email confirming fulfillment and providing a tracking number, I should have it for next weekend's rounds!

FYI they are now out of medium yokes in black, per Lance @ MR who was super helpful.

My short list was the Mahal, Voodoo ST and the LB Octothorpe. If the Octo was available today I may have gone that route, but the overall design and flexibility of the Mahal won out in the end. C'mon unusually fast shipping anomaly!

Golf Mahal in the house, and it rules!

Received my Mahal from MR yesterday - one day early per the UPS ground estimate. Had a mini to play and didn't have the time to fit it and set it up like I wanted, so I spent a minute this afternoon putting everything together.

Here are my first impressions. I spend a lot of time traveling and as such have been a bag junkie for many years now. I tend towards the built-for-war side of things, but anything really well built is good by me. I have bags by HSGI, LBT, Triple Threat Tactical, Spec-Ops Brand, Maxpedition (don't hate me - even though they are made in China and are not the best in the world, they do have a few really good designs), Tactical Tailor, Tom Bihn... The list goes on. I have never owned a piece of Mystery Ranch gear - mostly because I am not a long distance hiker. I generally take backpacks on planes, so 3-day assault packs are usually fine for me (Spec-Ops and LBT both make excellent versions). It was a pleasure to finally be able to use a MR pack. Something approaching $300 for a disc golf bag is probably way overkill for most people, especially someone just learning how to throw, but I figure that this is probably going to be my only DG bag for a while, and I like well-made bags, so whatever.

The build of this bag is top notch. There is not a single loose thread, funky stitch, or anything else untoward. Beefy waterproof zippers all around (I first saw this type on a Tom Bihn Empire Builder - a great feature). Everything is just very refined and tight. As it turns out, I am right between sizes on the yoke. I went for the large because I am 6'3" and 240#. Unpacked, the bag sat a bit higher than the shoulder blade, but with all of my discs, it sits just right - which is good, because the yoke as shipped is as far down as it goes.

The Golf Mahal holds far more discs than I will use on a given round at my local here in Ingleside, and the compression function brings the sides in nice and tight. As many have said before, the bag is not nearly as large as it looks in photos. The main compartment is massively roomy, but the bag does not stick out from the back very much at all. Adding discs to the side pockets does increase the width of the pack, and yet, due to the yoke suspension system, the weight is very evenly distributed and comfortable to wear.

The auxiliary storage design and execution is superb. The elastic drink holders on either side are perfect. I have a 32 oz. Nalgene in one and rolled with a couple of pint oat-sodas in the other. I kept my wallet, iPhone and Verizon Jetpack in one of the zippered small pockets and all of my bug repellant options in the other (on the Gulf Coast in south TX, so the mosquitoes here are f***ing ridiculous most of the time). The main compartment small pockets house my old iPhone (running UDisc for keeping score), a pencil, and a sharpie). I tucked a microfiber towel into the top neck straps, and a golf ball retriever into one of the bladder / umbrella side pockets (because we have spider trees that eat discs on the regular).

I tend to do little modifications to bags before taking them on journeys, and this one was no exception. I replaced all of the zipper pulls with un-gutted 550 cord double lanyard knot pulls and installed some velcro cord ties to the ends of all of the straps except for the bottom and top shoulder tightening straps (because they are being tightened and loosened all the time). The GM has a lot of extraneous strappage when the side pockets and bottom compression straps are not in use. Rubber bands or zip ties would also work here, but the velcro cord keepers are really trick in this application since they are adjustable and really clean looking.

Like any adjustable backpack, it is a really good idea to become familiar with the straps on the harness to loosen and tighten the shoulder straps. I am in the habit of loosening when taking off and tightening after putting on. The GM's straps are intuitive and the pack slings on very nicely whether you want to go with one or both arms through the straps going shot to shot.

If I were to change anything about this bag, it would be to add some loop velcro on the interior compartment above the admin panel for patches, and perhaps some horizontal MOLLE on the shoulder straps for a cell phone pocket, but those are tiny gripes that could easily be modded by the end user. A stiffener on the floor of the bag would be welcome for those of us that do not tote a stool around the course as well, but with the excess strap lengths tied up in some fashion, this is not a big deal either.

This is a very impressive bag all around, and as far as disc golf bags go, you are not going to find anything on the market that approaches the quality of the Golf Mahal. It's a large expenditure, but if you like buying something quality with a world-class warranty, and want a bag that is going to be extremely ergonomic, the Mahal is worth a look.

Here are some photos of my setup today.

Full bag with and without pole...
HBvkSfC.jpg

xYDiEiF.jpg

Details of the strap keepers and zipper pulls...
BFw7RMo.jpg

FNkF9s7.jpg

ZS19kRz.jpg

Interior...
cgF8vTy.jpg

Side view...
jErUf1P.jpg

C_Dubb - nice review & pics. I waffled a bit on the color but glad I decided on the blackout.

Mine is on the truck for delivery today and I'm cleared for rounds this evening. Gonna be a long day at work...

Got my bag back quick! I shipped it last week ,they received it friday ,fixed it then sent it on its way. Great craftsmanship and customer service,very happy with the repairs.

I had a ripped shoulder mesh ,hold forming from the plastic piece in the yoke and a broken clip.

Jeff the repairman is THE man.

^ I sent mine out to mystery ranch for repairs this last spring. I got sleeves put on both my straps and a zipper fixed. I've had mine for over 3 years now and it's still bulletproof.

I'm only 4 rounds into Mahal ownership, but I could probably get rid of all my other bags (except my faithful plasti-dipped Crunch Box) and not miss them. It is barely a pound heavier than my Shift, but with the Futura yoke I can comfortably carry 3x as much weight as I would ever subject the Shift to. The build quality is through the roof, and I am certain that anyone who doubts the value of this bag has never truly used or even closely examined a top quality backpack. I say this as a lifelong wilderness camper that has subjected tons of gear to the abuse of dozens of Boundary Waters/Canadian Rockies/Glacier NP trips. Everything from the fabric to the zippers to the stitching, straps and buckles appears to be top shelf. Not at all surprising from a highly-respected outfit like Mystery Ranch.

For any prospective premium backpack customer it really comes down to this: do you want a fancy disc-specific storage box with some shoulder straps slapped on, or do you hold versatility and a supremely well designed yoke system as the higher priorities? It just so happens that the storage layout of the Mahal fits my game and packing style perfectly: comfortable efficiency for my typical 15-18 disc casual rounds, yet able to become humongous when the need arises and swallow way more stuff than any other bag on the market.

Want to carry a dozen discs and a dozen beers? Try a Mahal.
Want to carry 30 discs, 2 full-size Nalgenes, some snacks, and a bunch of random other stuff? Try a Mahal.
Any size in between, just tighten a few straps for that custom fit.
Umbrella, stool? No problem, dedicated spots for both.
The Mahal is a study in form following function, especially when compared to the Grip-style bags, but I happen to think the form is pretty badass (especially in blackout mode).

I am extremely happy with my purchase so far, and given the repair feedback from TheWCG and Booter I should remain that way even if I do manage to damage it.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 96
^ Yes. Two. Big enough to hold two beers in each. Or sodas. Whatever. Two cans. Or a Nalgene.

^ They also work great for empty cans as they have the riveted drain holes for any extra leakage after you crush the can.

^truth. Two bottle/cup holders is a prerequisite I think if ONLY for having somewhere to put your empties. You can put full water bottles in any zipped compartment. But a safe place for empties is so important on any bag. Bag manufacturers should know that and help make it easier for everyone to pack out their trash.

^ Great point, although most trash I pick up on my home course is from walkers not golfers.

On a side note DRB; I miss the kitten

Latest posts