• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Having all shots in your bag... a must if possible?

I was just a forearm player till this year I tried the thumber, what a life saver I use it all the time. I just started rolling hole two at Idlewild after seeing the success of others, seems to work for that hole. Rollers are a regional thing they might not work well on hilly courses. Learn the thumber!! It is awesome it has opened up so many new lanes, and the up and over option is a great tool. I like the thumber on a windy day it takes the wind out of play.

If you are planning on playing some tournaments, and you want to be competitive, having backhand, forehand drives AND upshots are vital. A thumber/tomahawk shot will definately be an asset. Then having a good knowledge of a roller will also help shave some strokes off your game at times. What will help some is if you are primarily a backhand player, go and play a round <or even just 9 holes> as nothing but forehand <except putts>. Yes your score will suffer, or just don't keep score, but you will learn different shots/angles what disc works what doesn't, etc.... Same can be said with those that throw forehand primarily....try a round or 9 holes backhand. Some of the best players I've played against, or seen at tourneys have both a forehand and backhand drive game.

oops,, that is right, a grenade is the same as a scooby... Some of the different names come from different disc sports like ultimate or freestyle.

in practice, don't feel bad about keeping two different scores -- one for forehand and one for backhand -- my roommate and I used to do this when we were learning both drives. other options include all thumbers/pancakes off the teepad (or for your upshots), all rollers off the box, etc...

oops,, that is right, a grenade is the same as a scooby... Some of the different names come from different disc sports like ultimate or freestyle.

I thought a "grenade" was thrown with the disc upside down, thumb inside, but the throwing motion was like a RHBH spike hyzer.

I always threw a "scoober" vertical, thumb inside, but the throwing motion starts high, over the left shoulder, almost like a BHBH anhyzer but with a flip of the wrist at the release -- it flies a similar line to a hammer/pancake... great at getting out of trouble sometimes in the woods because the whole throwing motion is short and not interfered with as much by bushes and trees.

Don't forget the flick. I think it's important to have these shots and to practice them. You never know what situation you might fall into that requires a shot that you haven't practiced. Just because you have the ability and can pull them off doesn't mean you have to use them all the time. I found that it's just a good habitt to be able to pull off certain shots at certain moments where your comfort zone is pushed to the limits.

I am primarily RHBH, can throw RHFH somewhat ok. I plan to learn a Thumber and Scooby this year. Right now,after 2 straight years of playing with injuries , I have been just trying to eliminate the bad habits I have picked while trying to play hurt, instead of trying to learn new tricks. I see alot more people using these 2 shots with great success.

I am primarily RHBH, can throw RHFH somewhat ok. I plan to learn a Thumber and Scooby this year. Right now,after 2 straight years of playing with injuries , I have been just trying to eliminate the bad habits I have picked while trying to play hurt, instead of trying to learn new tricks. I see alot more people using these 2 shots with great success.

Make sure you REALLY focus on proper form on those forehand shots...those can seriously mess up your arm if you're not careful. Make sure the fingerprint area is pressing against the inside wall of the rim (as opposed to pressing against the bottom of the plate) and go for a smooth flick of the wrist at about shoulder height. If you want the disc to start lower, bend your body down, but don't drop your arm. Releasing below the shoulder is what causes most of the arm strain (especially in the elbow).

I have been playing now for 4-5 years and threw nothing besides tomahawk for anything over 70 feet until this past fall. My backhand just couldn't go further than 80' for some reason and I had no control with forearm. I am now able to get my backhands to go 200' and can hit 300' sometimes with forearm, but it tears up my shoulder bad.

I would say pick 2 throws and work on them until you have them down and then work on a new one. I am trying new stuff but always have my tomahawk to fall back on when I need it.

Make sure you REALLY focus on proper form on those forehand shots...those can seriously mess up your arm if you're not careful. Make sure the fingerprint area is pressing against the inside wall of the rim (as opposed to pressing against the bottom of the plate) and go for a smooth flick of the wrist at about shoulder height. If you want the disc to start lower, bend your body down, but don't drop your arm. Releasing below the shoulder is what causes most of the arm strain (especially in the elbow).

Well I have some pretty long arms and struggled at first,but a good friend of mine made the same points you make and it helped me out alot with less arm use, and more wrist mechanics. He told me he could tell I used to play baseball because I was trying to throw the disc the same way when it came to my wrist and arm motion. He noticed me dropping my arm alot and I have been able to correct it more and more. ALOT less stress on the elbow when I execute the proper mechanics. As you pointed out, I have to really be focused on the proper mechanics, cause when I'm not I can tell before the disc gets 6 inches out of my hand.