• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Hawg

I got mine today, but it was raining and we were playing winthrop, so I didn't feel like a new disc in the bag, much less an OS one. Feels like a rhyno, just like a rhyno, and when you hold them up, it even takes a second to see the difference. It's a rhyno flight plate (even has the pat. # on the thumbtrac), then a whale top, and vroc bottom wing, hence the "vtec" BS.

I got mine today, but it was raining and we were playing winthrop, so I didn't feel like a new disc in the bag, much less an OS one. Feels like a rhyno, just like a rhyno, and when you hold them up, it even takes a second to see the difference. It's a rhyno flight plate (even has the pat. # on the thumbtrac), then a whale top, and vroc bottom wing, hence the "vtec" BS.

YaaaaaY didn't buy one. Rhynos are fine with me

The Hawg is a good disc that could take the spot of my R-Pro Rhyno. I tested a magenta and an orange and they are slightly more HSS than the R-Pro Rhynos and less so than an R-Pro Pig (slightly worn) at BH upshot ranges of 225-260'. Feel in hand is very similar to the Rhyno but the rim feels *very slightly* thicker, due to the convex wing, I think. Innova's description fits as a Rhyno that can be leaned on somewhat harder - straight to fade on flat throws at 240-250'; anhyser flex shots went to 275' needing ~20-25' lateral.

Very comfortable for forehand upshots at 100-200' - more so than the R-Pro Rhynos because the Hawg is stiffer; more so than the Rhyno due to the Hawg's thinner rim. Forehand rollers were comfortable, stood up nicely, and worked an elongated question mark shape ... FH rollers with the R-Pro Rhynos work more of a normal question mark shape, whereas the R-Pro Pig is comparatively very straight and longer.

There is a bit of dome on my Hawgs but it doesn't affect my grip; I don't know how it affects flight as both have the same amount of dome. I'm NOT a fan of the plastic ... XT, I think? Too tacky for me.

R-Pro Rhynos hit the ground and stick (a big reason why I carry one.) The Hawg is not skippy, but they did take a single short skip on landing (short grass).

I could bag one of these and it would work well if I could get used to the tacky (sticky) plastic.

My $0.02.

So was the super OS speculation all based off of Inbounds' numbers?

So was the super OS speculation all based off of Inbounds' numbers?

I can't speak to that as I'm not familiar with the Inbounds numbers.

So basically its an Ontario Rhyno.

I can't speak to that either ... I have DX San Marino Rhynos and Champion Rancho Rhynos (along with the R-Pro San Marinos mentioned previously.) The Hawgs are more OS than the DX Rancho Rhynos and much less OS than my champ Rhynos.

For me it's a good disc that has a place. I already carry an Opto Pure, an R-Pro Rhyno and an ESP Zone for throwing putters. The Hawg could knock out the R-Pro Rhyno if I decided I liked XT plastic better than R-Pro in that disc slot. It is not different enough to add another throwing putter to my bag.

I just got mine in the mail. First impressions:
1) the plastic feels much more like the pro pigs that were recently released than the XT my Rocs and Whales I have. It's very sticky (not my fav)
2) it's clearly the Rhyno top on the Whale bottom.
3) massive bead copared to Rhyno
4) slightly pop top.
5) seems like a disc new players could get into, but as a Rhyno guy I don't see myself switching

lame to hear about the dome.

hopefully its due to a test run but if the stock doesn't have a board flat flight plate I'd say this was a missed opportunity.

I agree with all the previous reviews about the dome and plastic etc. The plastic did seem to start to become less "sticky" after a few throws, so hopefully that will season into a better feeling plastic. I would say that in my opinion this disc is definitely as overstable as advertised. for reference i throw my putters in the 220-250 range comfortably, about 380 everyday D with drivers, and i threw the hawg with a power grip, intentionally trying to overpower the disc into a slight headwind. It kind of stick on my fingers and flutttered and turned a bit, maybe 15 feet to the right, and then stabled up and faded like an OS driver... never seen a rhyno quite that OS.

Haven't thrown mine yet, but with all the meat around the rim, I'd expect it to be generally more OS than a Rhyno. It has less rim thickness/meat than a pig, and more than a Rhyno, so naturally I expect it to be in the gap between them.
With a champion Ontario Rhyno that stability gap isn't really there between the pig and Rhyno, but since Ontarios are OOP and the current mold is not as OS, Innova "needed" to bridge that gap w the hawg.
Plus they just bought a new piece of capital, the whale mold. Might as well use it to get a two for one. That's how manufacturing goes. They could use the Aviar top on it and bring back the Bulldog3 lol
Actually I think they should

On second thought, I bet it went something like this...
So we have the new whale mold now, I wonder if we could run something else with it to minimize mold changeover and make some extra profit. Any ideas?
Yeah! Let's try throwing the Rhyno top on it and mold a few up. We'll just release a few in the factory store to see if they sell. We'll call it the hawg.
Sounds like a plan! Let's run it in that XT plastic, that stuff is cheap and it molds up pretty nice. Good stuff for a test run.

Common sense

So is it basically just a Pig in Rhyno clothing?

Have a Pig, if it doesn't do anything the Pig won't, I'll probably pass then. Unless I come across one and it feels right.

There is no "rhyno flightplate" . I can tell you without even having one it's not a whale top either. That tumbtrac pat # Has always been there ,it's for the tumbtrac itself. it's the birdie top.

Also,the vtech "bs" is just the convex style rim they are using for the whale p1x and vroc etc.

Last edited:

Have a Pig, if it doesn't do anything the Pig won't, I'll probably pass then. Unless I come across one and it feels right.

No it's neither. Doesn't have the pig bottom or rhyno bottom,the only thing similar is the top,which they all share.

That is where I'm at. I already have a sweet dyed champ piggie and 2 backups on the shelf for when i send this one swimming. No need to pick up something that is slightly different stability when I've got the slot dialed in.

If I didn't have that slot covered I'd be very intrigued though as it will likely be available (eventually) in more plastic choices.

No? They aren't pretty or anything and are a flying disc

Edit: Ah thought you meant hang both of them haha, nvm

Latest posts