• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hazards on the course

Interesting re: the validity of those pic of the spider bite. I do know that many so called "bad spider bites" like the one in question thumb are actually from a systemic necrosis resulting from a bacterial infection at the site of a bite, not from the venom itself. What I don't know for sure is if brown recluse spiders are more prone to carry such bacteria, thus amplifying the general public's perception of what their bites will do.

Oh yeah, when I lived in the Philly area and played at Sedgley Woods we had to contend with used condoms, crack vials/bags, wandering prostitues, little kids "playing" with the local toad population (by playing I mean throwing and hitting with rocks). You know its a different course when the cops roll up and are just glad you are there doing something positive and could care less about the keg in the parking lot.

that pic of the bananna spider makes me cridge. I HATE SPIDERS.

around here we have snakes, mostly corn and garden with a few copper heads and rattlers, snapping turtles, fox, skunks, etc. nothing too serious.

chunk said:
that pic of the banana spider makes me cringe. I HATE SPIDERS.

around here we have snakes, mostly corn and garden with a few copper heads and rattlers, snapping turtles, fox, skunks, etc. nothing too serious.

You know, spiders used to scare the "S**t out of me, but after playing this course dozens of times, and seeing hundreds of spiders out there, and even walking into a few webs, they just don't bother me like they used to.

Now on the other hand, I used to not be afraid of snakes, but with the close encounters I have had out there, I am much more afraid of snakes now.

Spotted a couple of coyotes at my home course. There is supposed to be a bobcat that lives in a swampy, wooded area as well. I've never seen it but a couple of guys have. Makes you think twice about thrashing around in there looking for a lost disc.

our big thing in augusta ga is snakes it has been so dry this year as long as you are not near water you should be ok o yeah there was one bear spotted in the area at the beginning of the year

No joke, I would give up DG for the months that big son-of-a-bitch inhabited the course.

Fuggin' hate spiders.

sharkthrower said:
No joke, I would give up DG for the months that big son-of-a-bitch inhabited the course.

Fuggin' hate spiders.

That is the only course in the area that they are that bad. Between May and October they are there. I was at that course today and I counted about 60 of them. Like I said, once you play that course a few times, you just get used to them and stay out of there way. This course is the closest to my home. I have already played that course 32 times this year counting today.

Right around this time of year, my home course is overrun with monarch butterflies. Frightening. :lol:

We had a fox at one course. Every once and a while at night when we were loitering in the parking lot after league waiting for the park ranger to throw us out and force us to go home we would see it walking around by #1's tee. One time while we were playing wiffleball in the parking lot after league the ball rolled down the hill toward # 1 and the fox leaped out, grabbed the wiffleball and ran off. End of game, and my side was losing at the time. That fox owes me a buck!

In about the same spot there was a great big sinkhole. Sometimes a shot on #18 would roll down the hill and end up n the sinkhole, and there was a freaking HUGE snapping turtle that lived in the sinkhole. I know one dude that used to strip down to his tidy whiteys and go fishing for discs in that hole. I always expected to see him one day missing a toe.

Midnightbiker said:
The course closest to my home is located in some heavy woods. We get lots of Bannana Spiders from May-October. You really have to watch where you walk. I was just wondering what kinds of hazards or crazy things you have seen on a course. Here is a pic of the spider I almost walked into:

0829081554.jpg

How does that big-ass spider affect the stability of your disc?

There is this course Brookside here in Indianapolis, beautiful park but it's pretty ghetto, some disc golfers actually found a dead body while looking for a disc recently. One hole is right by the basketball court, so if you hit one of them dudes it's curtains....I'd call that a hazard.

Every single time I've played there when I get to hole 9 a random Akita dog comes out of the woods and lurks. No tags, no collar, looks like it would bite my nuggets if it got the chance. It hasn't been aggressive to me, but I get nervous as hell when it comes around....random dogs are a little eerie.

Victory33 said:
There is this course Brookside here in Indianapolis, beautiful park but it's pretty ghetto, some disc golfers actually found a dead body while looking for a disc recently. One hole is right by the basketball court, so if you hit one of them dudes it's curtains....I'd call that a hazard.

Every single time I've played there when I get to hole 9 a random Akita dog comes out of the woods and lurks. No tags, no collar, looks like it would bite my nuggets if it got the chance. It hasn't been aggressive to me, but I get nervous as hell when it comes around....random dogs are a little eerie.

This is going to sound crazy, but bring some dog treats with you.
I used to work for a collections company, and I had one house that had a neighborhood dog, and the damn dog would not let me get out of the truck. I left and went to the store and bought some of those soft dog treats that look like little steaks. I started throwing them at him and he let me get out of the truck and actually let me pet him. Before I did that, I thought that dog was going to take my leg off. Of course the people the dog was suppose to protect were pissed. That dog was in a poor neighborhood, so I figured he had never had a dog treat in his life. It was really funny.

"The way to the heart, is through the stomach".

Hey man don't let those banana spiders bite you. The banana spider is more deadly than a black widow. Their venom is 10 times more potent then that of a black widow.

Very very deadly spiders, so seriously watch where you go!

They don't jump or anything but they will run really fast at your ass and call up their homies from all da' sidez so they gang up on you from the north east south and west to pop a fang up in yo' azz'.

you dig!

Not according to wikipedia:

The venom of the golden silk orb-weaver is potent, but not lethal to humans. Its venom is a neurotoxin similar to that of the black widow; however, its venom is not nearly as powerful. Its bite causes local pain and redness with blisters forming. This bite usually resolves within 24 hours except for the bite mark.

masterbeato said:
Hey man don't let those banana spiders bite you. The banana spider is more deadly than a black widow. Their venom is 10 times more potent then that of a black widow.

Very very deadly spiders, so seriously watch where you go!

You need to check you sources. They cause local pain and redness, but they will not kill you. Feels like a bee sting. Plus they will not bite inless you really piss them off. They are very easy to spot, so we stay out of their way. I have played that course over 60 times, and the worst thing to happen to me out there was getting attacked by yellow jackets.