• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heading East (WI, IL, IN, OH, PA)

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Road trip season is nearly here. Planning on hitting the road mid November (plans subject to change, but I'd like to get out as soon as I can to beat some of the snow/cold). Once again, I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations, if a course is anywhere near the route and rated above 3.5 I'll be there, it's those hidden gems that might not have the rating to respect the enjoyment factor, or the private courses that I need to know the secret handshake to get in. I'm often willing to drive hundreds of miles out of my way for that "one of a kind" disc golf experience, let me know where they are. Also let me know if there's any leagues, tourneys, doubles matches or events that I should keep on my radar. And of course, let me know if you'd like to meet up for a round, I always enjoy meeting the folks from here.

The two states highest on my priority list are WI and PA.

Leaving Northern MN, I'll work my way across North WI (Mont du Lac, Highbridge, Sandy Point), then down the East coast of WI (Winter Park and... ? looks like a lot of options here).

Then Chicago folks might see another appearance my Forest and I.

From Chicago to PA I'll work my way through IN/OH, I'm thinking an Indianapolis-Dayton-Columbus line but am open to suggestions (I've played a good chunk of north IN, and none of OH).

Once in PA I'll work my way across to the East part of the state and consider the first leg of my journey complete while I contemplate where to go from there.

I'll be able to provide more specific dates as the time comes, scheduling is completely up in the air at this point.

Also feedback on non-DG things would be appreciated. Brewpubs/Breweries worth hitting, cool natural features, parks, hikes, Good food - hole in the wall cafes, bars, good burgers, bakeries etc.

Yeah man let us know when you're coming through the DG mecca of northeast Illinois.

I've got a couple brewery/food suggestions for you in Indy.

Brugge Brasserie brews some good beer and have a very unique Belgian menu which you can see on their website. If it looks like something you're into then I definitely recommend stopping in Broad Ripple to check them out.
http://www.bruggebrasserie.com/

The Oaken Barrel Brewery is just on the south side of Indy and is a more traditional brew pub menu. Good food and good beer. If you're not interested in Brugge then you might want to check them out.
http://www.oakenbarrel.com/

I almost forgot, last time I was driving up 65 I found this amazing donut shop in Lebanon, IN between Indy and Lafayette less than a mile off the highway. You won't regret a stop there. They're famous for their persians and their regular glazed (I think they referred to them yeast) were both melt-in-your-mouth good!

Titus Pastry Shoppe
820 West South Street, Lebanon, IN 46052

I've driven between Philly and (northern) Indiana at least once a year for 20 years now. My best suggestions are:

nothing great across northern or mid-Ohio unless you include Deis Hill (about 1 hr east of Pittsburgh and very out of the way...I'm stopping there next week)

Cincinnati: the "big 3"...Mt Airy in town plus Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge (aka Banklick) across the river in Kentucky.

Pittsburgh area: Moriane, Knob Hill and Deer Lakes, all 3 of these are 4.25 stars or better and not far for I-76 and/or I-79.

across PA, Cordorus St Pk (2+ courses of fun) and Pinchot's Quakers Challenge is truly a very hard course.

Further east in PA is the Lehigh Valley with Blue Mtn (before ski season), Jordan Creek and Little Lehigh is a small DG mecca.

Don't forget that northern Delaware is close to Philly and they have Iron Hill, Carosuel and Brandywine all within an hour of each other.

I'm in Philly and at Sedgley Woods usually several times a week.

Let me know as you get closer and maybe we can meet for a round

Martin, I highly recommend France Park, Honey Bear, Pieradise, Maconaquah, and Mississinewa in Logansport and Peru Indiana. About an hour or so north of Indy. Might be a good line of course to hit on your way across to Ohio. After Peru you can head east to the Fort Wayne courses, but I can't recommend any of those as I haven't gotten out that way yet.

France Park is a personal favorite.

Several drive-ins and olde thymey ice cream shoppes in Peru and Logansport. :cool:

Thank you all, I love all of the insider details I can get. And I'll keep this thread updated as well as the link in my sig to let you know where I am when if you want to meet up for a round.

Thanks again all, keep 'em coming.

Since you're going to be playing Sandy Point, I highly reccomend stopping at the Black Bear Bar just east of them on HWY 70 - great food (Burgers & pizza) & live blues music every weekend.

if you're hitting up winter park in kewaunee you might as well hop on 43 and take it down to chicago, while hitting up manitowoc, ltc cleveland, quarry park and vollrath in sheboygan, tendick in saukville, and milwaukee courses like dretzka, brown deer, and estabrook.

. . . across PA, Cordorus St Pk (2+ courses of fun) and Pinchot's Quakers Challenge is truly a very hard course.

Further east in PA is the Lehigh Valley with Blue Mtn (before ski season), Jordan Creek and Little Lehigh is a small DG mecca.

Don't forget that northern Delaware is close to Philly and they have Iron Hill, Carosuel and Brandywine all within an hour of each other.

If you detour south through Maryland, Patapsco State Park and Rockburn Branch are close to I-70 near Baltimore. Patapsco is a great, long course, and should be in good shape from the recent tournament. Rockburn is a very fun course, but the rough is brutal so best played after the leaves thin out a bit. Druid Hill in downtown Baltimore is also worth a play, but don't stick around after dark. ;)

If you head a little further south in MD, Seneca Creek Park is an outstanding technical 27-hole course, and Dogfish Head pub is just up the street from the park entrance.

Let me know if you head this way and want a course guide.

Hit me up as you get closer to Eastern PA. I'd love to play a round or at least point you in the right direction.

Hit me up when your in WI. I could probably meet up for some rounds. After Winter Park I'd recommend Silver Creek or Cato Falls in Manitowoc, Quarry in Sheboygan and Tendick in Saukville if possible, but for sure Brown Deer Park and Dretzka in Milwaukee area... I can probably meet up at any or all depending on what the schedule looks like. Give me a call though cuz I'm in Sheboygan and could easily make my way north or south to give you the tour of some of the courses. 920.980.8969

I'm practically ON I-43 at LTC Cleveland, so if you're heading south and have approximately an hour to spare, I'd love to meet up! I also attend school next door to Silver Creek in Manitowoc, so perhaps our paths will manage to cross out there...in any case, hit me up when you're in the east central part of the state and we can figure out logistics from there.

Oh, and we can do a tag swap. I haven't swapped since January and would like to get at least one more in!

I agree with Monocary's recomendation's for Maryland courses.

Let me know when you are in the Eastern PA part of your trip or if you decide to head south through MD or VA. I would be willing to meet up for a round.

Do a road trip planner and see how far out of the way Tailings in Iron River is after your Highbridge/Sandy Point leg of the trip. It's worth it if you love tough adventure golf.

Winter Park has been taking a beating in the ratings because we have yet to do anything with the tees (developing a plan for flypads and raising some money), and the existing gold tees were provided the wrong material (sandy gravel versus crusher dust). So, don't play it if you are a concrete snob ;) (concrete wears on my hips and ankles anyway).