• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heading to Eastern Michigan

zapplayer12

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
We're going to be in Eastern Michigan (Port Huron specifically) the last full week of July and while this is not a dedicated DG trip, we will be taking at least two days for disc golf only activities.

Holland Woods in Port Huron will be played on one of the other days we're there since it's only 9 holes and close.

So one of the DG day trips will be to these three courses:

Holly Woods

Addison Oaks County Park

Stony Creek Metro Park

These seem like a solid choice for this general area and appear to be very do-able in one day.

The second DG day is a trip to the area north of Ann Arbor but with so many quality courses I'm finding it difficult to choose.

These are on the radar:

Kensington Black Locust DGC

Independence Lake - Red Hawk

I'm a little concerned about navigation here due to the recent course update:

Current Conditions: (Updated on 6/8/2012 by esdubya)
Addn. Info: Brand new "extra hole" loop A-F opened officially on June 8, 2012. Holes 13-16 are pulled until Nov. 2012. Course is in excellent shape right now.

Hudson Mills Metropark - Original

Hudson Mills Metropark - Monster

Cass Benton Hills DGC

I'm looking for quality over quantity so any insight is appreciated.

Oh, also looking for places on the way to/from MI (driving along I-80 through PA/OH). Courses right off the highway are preferred. Was thinking maybe Roscoe Ewing Park and/or Hudson Springs Park in Ohio.

Do the 48 at Hudson-Mills on the second day, and if you still have enough gas in your tank, you can always do Redhawk, which is real close by to Hudson-Mills.

I'd do Hudosn Mills all day long, the Original was my first all time favorite course for many years.
Red Hawk is very close to Hudson, a very nice course.

The Ohio Hudson course is rather short on the front and not much of a challenge, the back gets much longer. Roscoe Ewing was decent when I played it 15 years ago.

I've driven across northern Ohio 40+ times, simply put, get to Michigan for the better golf!

You know Moraine is close to I-80 in PA, right?

Last edited:
On a recent road trip, playing Addy and Stoney with four people basically took from noon to dusk. Granted we do play a bit slow but Stoney (the old 24 layout) also backed up a bit with a lot of groups on a hot Friday afternoon. If you have fewer people, or are better golfers, or get an early start, both, plus Holly Woods, should be doable in a day.

Definitely bring some mids that you don't mind losing off the tee for the swamp hole #10 at Addison Oaks.

I'd do Hudosn Mills all day long, the Original was my first all time favorite course for many years.
Red Hawk is very close to Hudson, a very nice course.

The Ohio Hudson course is rather short on the front and not much of a challenge, the back gets much longer. Roscoe Ewing was decent when I played it 15 years ago.

I've driven across northern Ohio 40+ times, simply put, get to Michigan for the better golf!

You know Moraine is close to I-80 in PA, right?

Yeah Hudson Mills seems like a shoe-in and Red Hawk seems logical since so close. Apparently there's a DG store nearby as well (CJ's Party Store).

In all honesty, I'm really not too excited to play those Ohio courses and may skip them altogether. Wrong part of the state for premium DG.

Yes I've played Moraine (my fav course I've played out there) and there's an outside possibility that we'll stay in Western PA on the way back so I'd like to get a new course in if that happens.

On a recent road trip, playing Addy and Stoney with four people basically took from noon to dusk. Granted we do play a bit slow but Stoney (the old 24 layout) also backed up a bit with a lot of groups on a hot Friday afternoon. If you have fewer people, or are better golfers, or get an early start, both, plus Holly Woods, should be doable in a day.

Definitely bring some mids that you don't mind losing off the tee for the swamp hole #10 at Addison Oaks.

Yes I'm thinking an early start will be essential to get those three in. So far it's only the gf and myself and we'll play on a weekday.

I read about that swamp hole at Addison, way ahead of you...I'll bring some lose-able discs.

id be happy to show you around any of the holly, addison, or stoney courses if im free that day. id also suggest seymour lake if time allows but there is no way you could do all 4 in one day. for me seymour is more fun than holly but thats a personal preference, they are two completely different styles of golf. holly is shorter and wooded(almost aggravatingly wooded in some cases) and seymour lets you air it out a bit more. addison and stoney are both solid courses though and have a good mix of both.

Latest posts