• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heading to Phoenix Next Week

caravan2001

Heading to Phoenix next week (Wed/Thursday) and looks like I will have time for at least one round. Couple of questions:

1) If I can only play one round, what course should it be? Staying in Tempe but don't mind driving 30-45 min+ for the best course. I am guessing Buffalo Ridge from the reviews on here?

2) Is Buffalo Ridge easy to navigate for a first-timer to the course?

3) What time does it get cool enough to play (I don't mind a little heat but looking like 100+ on Wednesday). Should be free by 4PM to throw. What is the latest you can start before you start losing daylight?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to throwing, it's been raining here in OR like crazy....

1) If I were you, I would probably play Fiesta Lakes or Fountain Hills. I'm not a huge fan of Buffalo Ridge. Granted it is different that what you are probably used to as it is a true desert course. This time of year it is hot as hell, and there are lots of snakes to watch out for, and IMO it's a really easy course. If you go, bring twice as much water as you think you will need.

2) Kind of. You will probably want to find a map to help you navigate.

3) It's hot all day. Best time to go is in the early morning. The sun goes down around 7:30.

Have fun, and drink lots of water.

Sweet, thanks, I will check those out. Might be able to one Thurs morning and one Friday, depending. If not, I will have to get out around 5PM and deal with the heat...Are the Fiesta or Fountain easy enough to navigate for a 1st timer?

Thanks for the input!

Fiesta has maps in the pro shop that are easy to follow. You should be able to find a map online for fountain hills.

Just got back from phoenix from my honeymoon on tuesday. Played vista del camino, buffalo ridge, and another park course by buffalo. Buffalo was the most unique, but as a first timer there I did spend more time looking for the baskets rather than playing. Vista was nice because there is a disc golf store about 100 yards from the park, not as many unique shots, but still fun due to the pond.

One more thing, buffalo chews discs up. The ground is all sharp rocks. The amp I got at spinners looked months old after buffalo when it was only on its second round. Even the impenetrable VIP Giant took a hit. But, it still had the best scenery and was nice to not play a park course.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input The Hammer. Played Fountain Hills last night and it was rad. A bit windy but fun. And 5 degrees cooler than down in Phoenix. It was great.

Latest posts