• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heading to The Quad Cities

bwiese

Eagle Member
I am heading back to the quad cities (Ia/Il) for the week. Does any one have a top 5 or 10 list of must play courses in the QCA? Any advice on which courses are in good shape/ any to stay away from?

I can't tell you about the shape of the courses as I live more than four hours away; and thus, am not a local. I can tell you I went with a couple different small crews and one large; 35+ person crew for three separate trips to Quad Cities last year; primarily because courses were top notch.
I gave West Lake the only five I've given here (though, I'm about to add Nevin Park, in Charlotte, to that list). Long tees are brutal. Rounds from longs will take a minimum of three hours; unless you're playing solo. Serious water in play on nearly half the holes as well.
I would place Camden 2 just behind West Lake and there is the original Camden 18 hole course at same site.
Third would probably be Middle Park.
Fourth, and a course I really liked (if pins are in longs), is Devil's Glen (a twelve hole course).
Fifth, I suppose, would be Eastern Ave; at least in terms of numbers of locals who play it. There are a couple of decent water holes there; but it's primarily a big arm course and rather boring if you ask me. Many of the locals also skip the part of the course that has the water holes; as this section is usually a swamp.
Longview is one of the oldest courses in the area. It was an early representation of rollaway greens...and a good one. But, make sure you print a map before you go; as tees are not marked and it's impossible to find your way without a map.
Prospect Park, which is a little out of the way is a good hill course.
Butterworth Park is one of the best nines I've ever played and has water on it as well.
If I had time for only four courses; I would play West, Camden 2, Devil's Glen, and Butterworth, with Middle or Prospect as my back up.

about an hour from the quad cities is sterling illinois. it is home to sinnissippi park, which is one of my favorite courses i have played. it's definitely worth the drive. and as scarpfish said, west lake, middle park, and camden are quite enjoyable as well.

What is camden 2 like? How does camden 2 stack up to the original course? I checked out the course pics, looks like a good one.

Camden 2 (even in it's current; slightly unfinished state) is one of the top three in Illinois. I also agree about Sinnissippi; one of the best of the "old school" courses around. Still competes head to head with modern design.

Bring a lunch, and hit West Lake. This course needs to get some more recognition going for it! This is a fantastic course! I played it in January. Keyword bring liquids and food for the appetite, you will need it!

Oh, Tall Paul isn't kidding about the 3 hours either. ...at least 3.

Conditions of the Courses in the QC

Conditions are great in the Quad Cities! Duck Creek is down, so there is no flooding on the courses at Eastern, Middle, or Devil's Glen. Camden 1 and 2 are in excellent shape, and I assume West Lake is as well.

I played Middle Park in Bettendorf on Friday, and I appreciated some work that was done, including a new bridge over the small creek on hole #1. It is still pretty wet on holes 3 and 4, but very managable.

I also had the chance to play Camden 1 and 2 this weekend, they are both in excellent condition. Very crowded, but play was smooth.

Enjoy all the QC has to offer, I have yet to find another area with the concentration of such great courses!

thanks for the info, cant wait to get out. I am in Fort madison today and loved to two courses. They have something for every one. Some easy holes, some tight ones, elevation changes and open for the big arms.

Latest posts