• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help a brother out

PA_Disc

Par Member
Alright, it has been quite sometime since I have purchased any plastic, about 3 years... Anyway, since I have been playing a bit more than I have, I would like to add some more discs to my meager supply. I am basically a complete novice and all of my discs are DX plastic. I have thrown champion, star and z plastics and many of them feel much nicer for "longer" shots. With that in mind, I know this will open up a can of worms, what discs should I add?

I will give a short synopsis of what I have and how I throw it.

I throw BHRH- ally of my discs are between 172 &176
Valkarie(sp)- I dont throw it, b/c I cant make it fly :)

Stingray- Practically use it all the time of the tee, you name it. Always "turns over"? Goes to the right while driving. Left-softer shots

Shark- When I want a straighter shot I reach for this one. Usually falls left

Buzz D- Sometimes if I feel like throwing two off the tee. Does something different everytime.

Pro Crush D- Just started trying to throw it more. Most of the time it goes right, but finishes left.

Aviar P&A

Thanks for the help.

Some of my first drivers were Eagles, Cheetahs, and Leopards. I would probably start with some of those. I would think they would be easier to control than the Valk and you should get to the point where you can make any of them fly pretty straight. The Leopard is the most understable of the three (turns right), but starting out new it will probably fly straight and turn to the left for you.

As far as plastic, they last longer and are grippier (typically) but I like buying DX versions first on discs I don't own incase I hate it. But someone else can talk about plastics...

yeah what he said a & maybe a z or flx buzzz that won't wear fast -seems you've got enough understable midrange discs for rollers and turnover shots.

throw the Eagle/Tbird after you've gotten the LeopardCheetah down

Beast, Cheetah and Leopard. Do these typically all fly the same? Meaning if I get the three of them I wont notice much of a difference? Someone else said they like the Roc?

Beast is similar to a Valk - which you have

definitely faster than Cheetah/Leopard

- the Roc is similar to a Buzzz

you've got a good quiver of the midrange - i think definitely give a Leopard or a Cheetah a shot - perhaps get an Eagle or Tbird which are then a little faster - and once you get good at those - you should then be ok turn the speed up again and throw your Valk or Beast

as far as plastics - stick with DX - once you like a certain driver you may want to get a more durable plastic so that it doesnt become understable too quickly.

So stay with the cheap plastic till I find a "good one" . What is it about the more overstable discs that makes them more "difficult" to throw? Am I not throwing with enough power? Overstable goes left and understable goes right corrrect? If I turnover a disc it goes opposite of the intended overstable/understable rating? Thanks for all your help guys.

Beast, Cheetah and Leopard. Do these typically all fly the same? Meaning if I get the three of them I wont notice much of a difference? Someone else said they like the Roc?

At first I am not sure if you will notice too much of a difference; I think they will all turn left for you at the beginning because you are used to throwing a very worn in Stingray. The rims are different widths, so they will feel different in your hand. The beast will be the hardest of the three to throw "correctly." Once you get the feel for the drivers and get the right amount of arm speed and snap, they will all fly differently.

If you can go out to a field, do that with the new discs and just let 'em rip. You may want to focus on just one driver. Some have the philosophy that starting out with too many discs can be detrimental. I think if you pick one of the drivers and throw it until you get used to it, that will be more beneficial in the long run. Then you can add more drivers with more stability. But this is just one man's opinion.

Ironically, the best disc choices have all been out fo rmore than 3 years. I'd recommend a DX Cheetah or DX Gazelle or D Cyclone. Any one of those discs will teach you to throw farther and on many different lines. I'd work with your D Buzzz until it is predictable. It shouldn't do something different every time.

So stay with the cheap plastic till I find a "good one" . What is it about the more overstable discs that makes them more "difficult" to throw? Am I not throwing with enough power? Overstable goes left and understable goes right corrrect? If I turnover a disc it goes opposite of the intended overstable/understable rating? Thanks for all your help guys.

Overstable discs are harder because without enough snap they turn to the left and do not glide as much. They won't go as far. you will need more stability when your snap and arm speed improve because - and this gets to your next question - you will start to turnover a disc. To me, turning over a disc isn't making it go the wrong way, it is just that it goes understable/flippy and never "comes back" to the left, OR that it goes understable so much that the disc is like " \ " instead of flat. It just keeps going right in an extreme way.

For Right Hand Back Hand, overstable is left, understable is right.

plastic is all one's preference there is no right way - i like discs to maintain their designed characteristics for longer - and get the more expensive plastics. the narrower wings on drivers are more precarious than blunt edges of slower discs - so that's why some people go for durable plastics for drivers.

The more overstable discs need more snap on them for them to maintain a straighter flight. They are more useful for throwing into the wind because the wind simulates a situation where the disc is thrown faster than normal.
Once you start to turn over faster discs and have a good sense of how those discs behave - you would know what it takes to get the more overstable discs to go straight.

its almost easier to throw a highspeed understable disc than it is to throw an overstable fairway driver

Wow lots of good information, thanks. I think that I may just get another two discs to work on my technique. I would like to have a bit of a longer fairway driver and maybe another midrange. Thinking cheetah and beast or Roc. Thanks again.

On somewhat of a side note I typically throw with 4 fingers under the rim/on the rim of the disc with my thumb on top except for "finesse" type shots whereas I may only put three under. Is this typical hand placement?

i think that sounds fairly normal - generally shorter/ more finesse shots will have a weaker grip. As opposed to the 4 finger "power grip" or close variation which are used for more powerful throws.

I personally don't change my grip too much just how tightly I hold it. When I start messing around with differnent hand positions I can never get it to do what I want. That is unless i'm within 40ft or so when I use a "fan grip", four fingers extended insted of gripping the rim.

Thanks. I will read the article. I think I use the fan grip too, I feel much more in control holding it like that.

-Last question. How important is the weight of the disc? Should I be throwing lighter discs? Im throwing mostly 172+

The stronger you are the heavier you should use. I have a pretty small arm so I normally go for 164-168.

Well thanks for all your help guys. I just ordered some discs from Prime. :) I loke buying stuff. I ended up getting DX Cheetah, DX Roc, DX Eagle and Xout Champion Wraith(I like the sound of it) LOL

You are probably going to hate the wraith for a while, because it will prob fly like a brick until you get the hang of the cheetah. The DX cheetah is an amazing disc, once you can get that to go where you want, you should be better able to use your valk and wraith. I throw wraiths as my distance drivers, but I can get my beat in cheetahs to do almost anything. You will be very pleased with it.

Just remember, control before distance, because with technique, the distance will come. Good luck

Latest posts