• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help a brother out

I started with just a beadless aviar (June 87). I played with that for a couple of years and it helped me develop a lot more distance. I can still (I am 42) throw an aviar putt and approach 325+ feet. But I can throw distance plastic easily in the mid to upper 400's.

Last question. How important is the weight of the disc? Should I be throwing lighter discs? Im throwing mostly 172+
I only really nerd out on weight when it comes to putters. I like 165-168 for putting, 170-172 for approaches and 175 for drives. I can do all of those with about any weight, but I think that's what works best.

For mids I use 178-180, but I'd be better off with 174-176. I'm optimistic that I'll improve to the point where I'll want heavier ones eventually, so I don't mind sacrificing a few feet of distance for now.

For the rest of my drivers I prefer 170-172 because I get as much control as I do with heavier weights, but I get a bit more carry. I can go lighter if I need to, but something about those weights just seems to jive with me.

I had an eagle for one of my first, then moved on to something quicker and more overstable.

I think I use the fan grip too, I feel much more in control holding it like that.
Just about everyone who starts out on their own grips like that, for that exact reason. Most people have played with a catch & throw Frisbee at some point in their life and that's how you hold it. But for disc golf you'll probably want to start driving with a "power grip" as soon as you can, so you don't have to start over with it later. It will feel awkward at first but check out gcoghill's story on the Building Distance thread.

ERic

OK there were lots of suggestions, but since you really like your Stingray, I think your distance progression is simple. You really need to get more distance out of what you already like, so try a Sidewinder. I am positive, you will not be unhappy in the slightest. You can pick the plastic yourself, but I would recommend Champion in the 168g area.

Woo Hoo! I just checked the tracking page for the discs that I ordered on Friday, and they were delivered at 7:30 this morning!! Wow, much faster than I had anticipated. I figured Wednesday at best. I was going to try and take a break from going over to the park and spend some more time with the family, but I guess the family is coming to the park tonight with me... :)

Most people have played with a catch & throw Frisbee at some point in their life and that's how you hold it.

That's exactly how things went for me -- for years I have been throwing disc golf discs like they were a Wham-O freestyle :eek:

The Power Grip is awesome. Still working on my control & consistency, but you can feel the power waiting to be unleashed.

FYI, as a new Power Grip user I have had good results with the Xpress Z plastic. I narrowed it down from some other drivers (XL etc.). The Impact 150 ESP has slowly been replacing the Comet ESP for mids. Still think I have yet to find my perfect mid-range disc tho. Have my finger on the order button with some new discs I want to try out.

Well I took my daugher out with me last night and we threw around in the ballfields for a little then she wanted to play 4 holes. I got to try out all of my new discs which was nice; however, I remembered how much I dont like throwing brand new plastic. Its got like a bit of a slimy feel to it, not like I blew my nose on it but more slippery than the ones that are broken in.

For the most part I was happy how they felw. I do not think that they are ready for service yet, but will be in short order. The Cheetah, Eagle and Roc all flew well for me, while the Wraith was fair as expected. I can throw a midrange farther than my distance driver LOL. I consistantly use the power grip while throwing off the tee, but I have a feeling that my timing and grip pressure are off such that I am not getting the snap required to fire the Wraith with confidence. I know I have more than enough power to throw the discs, I just need to find that sweet spot for timing and grip pressure. I can turn over most all of the discs in my bag the Wraith is one that I cannot.

I am going back out tonight to work on the course, and I suppose work on the technique as well.

That's exactly how things went for me -- for years I have been throwing disc golf discs like they were a Wham-O freestyle :eek:
Don't totally give up on that grip. If you have lots of experience playing catch then you can use that experience for your approach shots. Just use your putter, hold it like you would a catch disc and aim as if the person were staning in front of and to the right of the basket. You can pick up quite a few strokes with a strong approach game.

Wraith

I can turn over most all of the discs in my bag the Wraith is one that I cannot.

I am going back out tonight to work on the course, and I suppose work on the technique as well.

I started playing in June and have been working my way thru Leopards, Roadrunners, Beasts and now I have a pair of Wraiths. With Time and Practice, you're timing will improve and the Wraith will begin to flex out, turn over, fly a bit farther, then slow down and fade. A nice sss flight. My Wraiths seem to have a nice ability to skip if I keep my throw low...like 15-18 feet. Another thing I've learned with the Wraith is to not throw harder into the wind...just firm. For a newbie like myself, the Wraith is dependable if I just need a hyzer, I aim out to the right side of the fairway and release on a slight hyzer at about 90% of my full power. The Wraith quickly flips from hyzer to flat, but never flexes out ( i.e. flies straight ) When she loses speed (my discs are she's), the fade kicks in and she drifts across the dogleg right to left. I'm in the middle to left side of the fairway and looking at the basket.

Good luck!

If u can figure out how to turn that Valk over a lil bit you can learn how to do a lot of things with it backhand and sidearm. Point shoulders toward target, turn thru ur throw, throw from shoulder, lean into it, cock wrist, release angle is important, I know it's a lot, practice, practice, practice. I have three weights of Valkyrie and have come to love them more and more. I hated them when I first learned to throw, but kept coming back to 'em. All of a sudden I saw the potential on a couple throws and kept workin' with 'em. Don't give up.

Latest posts