• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help for a trip to Wisconsin!?

aajpity

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Hello, me and my buddies wanted to go to Wisconsin and play a few courses. We wanna camp out in one location next to a few courses. Multiple within a few miles away? Anybody know of a spot in Wisconsin and if so, camping site info would be nice.

Menomonie WI area is great... so is High Bridge. I havent played much on the east side of the state. Mont Du Lac is up north by Duluth and they have 3 courses and camping on site.

Some good camping courses (sorry, not providing links):

Top ten Rollin' Ridge; nearby Silver Creek, Winter Park and number of other lesser options.
Highbridge; 'nough said.
Madison: camping at Vallaharta Ast; Hiestand and Elver near by; as well as more open Capitol Springs.
Marshfield: Camping at Northwood County Park with a number of other solid courses nearby. These layouts would appeal more to those requiring less monstrous course lengths. Northwood is one of my personal favorite old school courses.
Justin Trails
*As a participant in an event that has "camping availability" as a requirement; for the past 14 years; I can say this is a pretty good run down of those offering camping.*
There are also, of course, some privates out there. Steve Kinde's course, Axeldog Acres comes to mind....

There are also, of course, some privates out there. Steve Kinde's course, Axeldog Acres comes to mind....

This would cover the Menomonie area. Some really good courses within 20 to 30 miles of Axeldog.

If you stay on the west side of the state you should come check out Somerset

What Paul said and...

There's good camping 10-15 minutes from Sandy Point. If you called, I'd bet that whoever answered the phone would not steer you wrong on camping nearby and directions.

There is camping at Vallarta-Ast ( aka, Token Creek County park), but the Interstate is close by and audible on the entire course except for a few spots back near #13,14 and 15.
I wouldn't camp there because of that noise ( and I live 8 minutes away from Vallarta). BUT, if you are in the area and don't mind the background highway sound....Vallarta and Hiestand are literally 10 minutes from each other...It could be a good base camp for a day or two. 27 holes@vallarta w/ longs and shorts and 18 at Hiestand w' longs and shorts. You could shoot out to Marshall, which is 20-25 minutes from Vallarta and play Birds Ruins. Fun course.

Justin Trails has camping and two fun courses. I would camp and play there for 2-3 days without hesitation. Call them for the low down. I think their camping area is pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Give me shout if you come all the way south to milwaukee area.

A somewhat overlooked option; and another private is: Don Ticknor's place; Wildapple DG in Osseo. There's not a lot nearby; other than Wildapple; but it's an excellent course; and is currently set up in it's toughest configuration I believe.
Big Eau Pleine has camping as well, I believe, and is also an excellent course.

If, however, you'd like to pair this trip with breweries, Steven's Point has three solid courses within the area (Standing Rocks, Yulga and Big Eau Plein) as well as two awesome breweries (O'so and Central Waters) along with a number of others.

The camping at Lake Emily is great.

Menomonee has 3 or 4 very nice courses. Eau Claire as well. The their is Axledog which is amazing. Also Somerset DGC will make you wonder how the heck you are not birding shorter holes. I love Somerset and it will be a full 18 within two or three weeks. The guys have been busting butt and I think it is about the best most technical course in northwestern WI. If you come up here pm me and I will gladly show you around Wikanda in Menominee and Somerset DGC.

They've already been said, but are worth repeating in case you missed it or are thinking otherwise.
In order of preference:
Highbridge - seriously, it doesn't get much better anywhere in the country.
Justin Trails - 2 killer courses, friendly hosts, camping on site, a bit of a drive to any more golf, but within an hour there's some great courses.
Rollin Ridge - it's in the top 10 for a reason, camping on site, and plenty of great golf not too far away.
Axldog - Great course, camping on site, access to several great courses in Menominee and Eau Claire
I might take this time to pimp my course, but it doesn't fit your criteria yet (give me a couple years and the dream is to have several great courses with camping and such...)

I was going to mention High Cliff State east of Appleton for Rollin Ridge, but if there's camping on site that's even better. That will put you nearby Winter Park (a former ten 10) and Silver Creek. There are quite a few more decent courses in the area if you want more. And if you're still living in Minnesota, you could hit Standing Rocks near Stevens Point on your way out and swing south on the way home to get Zobel Park near Green Lake. That would get you to the best courses northeast and central Wisconsin have to offer.

I've actually named three courses that I enjoy more than the destination course. But I'm sure the Ridge is better than it was when I played it. They seem to be very aggressive in filling the wet areas.

Looks like tallpaul beat me to this suggestion. But it's worth repeating.

Call me crazy, but if you're going camping and disc golfing in Wisconsin, and you've never done it, the conversation pretty much begins and ends with Highbridge.

Worry about all those other places on another trip.

Any brewery's or great local food spots near the trio of Winter, Silver Creek and Rolling Ridge? Hoping to make in that area later this year.

Hate to derail but I figure the most knowledgeable people on the subject are in this post. Heading up to a small town in northwest WI, Barnes, about 20 minutes northwest of Hayward. We are hitting the courses in Trego and Mount de Lac. Anyone have any suggestion about smaller courses in the area? Maybe a private course or two that someone could point me in the right direction on. Somehow I managed to teach my wife to throw dead straight for 200 feet and she has grown fond of the idea of playing new courses and out driving me here and there(like I said, dead straight, never touches a tree on a 10 ft fairway). Thanks.

If you're playing Heartwood in Trego, only the easy course would likely be suitable for your wife. Fiddler's Creek in Hayward is a fun course and you can play miniature golf, too.

Hate to derail but I figure the most knowledgeable people on the subject are in this post. Heading up to a small town in northwest WI, Barnes, about 20 minutes northwest of Hayward. We are hitting the courses in Trego and Mount de Lac. Anyone have any suggestion about smaller courses in the area? Maybe a private course or two that someone could point me in the right direction on. Somehow I managed to teach my wife to throw dead straight for 200 feet and she has grown fond of the idea of playing new courses and out driving me here and there(like I said, dead straight, never touches a tree on a 10 ft fairway). Thanks.

If you play Du Lac Lincoln Park would be a fun small park course to play. It is actually kinda tough

Latest posts