• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help getting up hills

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
Recently played a course with some serious up hill shots. One was only a little over 200 ft long but probably 60-75 ft altitude change with trees limiting it to basically a laser shot - ie no high arching tomahawk. It's a real challenge to get more than 3/4 up the hill

Would it help to throw lighter discs?

Throw more understable plastic. As you throw uphill, the disc tends to lose speed faster and stall more quickly. This makes the disc fade more than it normally would. Using understable discs can help counter that and stay level longer.

Make sure you're still focusing on nose angle, it's easy to get the nose way up on an uphill shot and your disc will just stall out. Disc up to something faster and more understable than you think you need.

Light weights can help some, but I'm not sure it's enough of a difference to carry a lighter disc just for uphills. That said, you might be surprised by the results a lighter disc can give you on all kinds of shots, so it could be worth a try.

I moved fom relatively flat Ontario to very very hilly British Columbia and I had problems with some of the extreme uphill shots at my hme course.

A local mentioned to remember to keep your neck and head looking up while still pulling through your chest.
Also use as already stated use faster and less stable discs than you think you need.
I have also seen people with good backhand rollers get massive uphill distance.

Light weights can help some, but I'm not sure it's enough of a difference to carry a lighter disc just for uphills. That said, you might be surprised by the results a lighter disc can give you on all kinds of shots, so it could be worth a try.

I carry a 150 Leopard just for uphill shots. I don't worry much about carrying an extra disc or 10 though. I also don't carry it if I've played the course and don't have a plan to use it.

Recently played a course with some serious up hill shots. One was only a little over 200 ft long but probably 60-75 ft altitude change with trees limiting it to basically a laser shot - ie no high arching tomahawk. It's a real challenge to get more than 3/4 up the hill

Would it help to throw lighter discs?
Yes and throwing up harder. Guessing you talking about hole 18 at Hawk Hollow? That is basically a big RHBH hyzer bomb. I skipped a 150 Blizz Boss up there. Keep head down and drop shoulder.

well this is funny.. that last doubles round on sunday at hawk hollow the guys i played with asked how to best throw hole 9. I said "understable disc on steep hyzer angle. throwing shoulder down, head low. reach low and pull high." Demonstrated by splitting the Y tree. The 5 other guys tried and 2 of them did it right. It's not an easy throw, but it's not the hardest. Body angle is key.

For me, my disc of choice for uphill shots is a 150g Blizzard Champion Wraith. Easier to get up to faster speeds and more understable. Works like a charm.

patriot takes care of it for me right now. the more i beat it in the more i like it.

took a CTP at acorn dgc with it; hole 16 is 327 feet long on a relatively steep uphill slope. pin high, 5 feet to the right. take anything understable and let it rip nice and flat. you'll be happy you did.

throwing uphill was hard for me too initially because i throw hyzer a lot. made me look stupid quite a few times, that hole has.

As one without much power, I treat uphill shots as I would an anhyzer hole. Picture that hill being a set of thick trees in front of you instead. Either way, you'd throw over them the same way (if you weren't a good pro who could simply spike-hyzer over it with great power, of course).

I dont think theres any way you can throw over since you tee off under the trees. No chance for roller on this hill - too rough. I'll have to try under stable hyzer next time.

For me, my disc of choice for uphill shots is a 150g Blizzard Champion Wraith. Easier to get up to faster speeds and more understable. Works like a charm.

I carry two 148's for all uphill drives. One solid stable and one understable. Aim to clear the highest part of the hill by a safe clearance of about 5 feet but nothing higher than that. Don't let the hill get in your head and think form-form-form.

Also, they don't skip as well as a heavier driver but also work well for distance under low canopies, as long as there's no wind in your face.

Last edited:

Latest posts