• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help! I dont know what disc to buy!

Hey. I posted someting similar in the general discussions but it would prob be better in this thread. I just recently got into disc golf (less than one month) and I went crazy on the buying and realized that I completely missed the mark on what I should get. I got a 175 dx beast (the one I throw the "best") 170 valk (ehh...) 160 ish star mako (I do ok with this) a 180 wolf (terrible decision) and a 170 aviar (ok...) so I am not going to buy another disc until I get some wisdom and guidance on what I should get to improve. I truly want to get better but I want to make sure I have a set that works well with me. I know that you should start with the mid range and get that working well before you upgrade but I want to know what would work after I get form down. As of right now I throw with what I feel is pretty low speed and I tend to throw a little bit elevated and not really on a flat line like I should. I am improving but I want to feel like I am throwing the right disc and not like I have to compensate by throwing a disc that is not right for me. Based on that little information does anybody have an idea on what disc I should be looking into and possibly give some training tips to help me get better because YouTube is not making me any better =P. any ideas and information would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I forgot a disc. I have a 180 Champion Monarch. I forget this disc because I can't make this disc do anything I want to so I just leave it in the bag.

Once you get your mids around 250-300 get a Pro Leopard. It's an awesome disc for newer players. Right now I'd check out an X-Comet. It'll force you to clean up your form to throw it correctly. You have a Mako I see which is also good. Put away the drivers for now and you'll improve much faster. Drivers tend to mask some form flaws.

Once you get your mids around 250-300 get a Pro Leopard. It's an awesome disc for newer players....You have a Mako I see which is also good. Put away the drivers for now and you'll improve much faster. Drivers tend to mask some form flaws.

While I agree that using the Mako and maybe getting a Leopard (I'd recommend a TL myself) is a goo thing to do, don't attach to the 250-300 numbers as Gospel. The key is learning to throw with correct snap and correct form.

I don't know your physique, so how far you can throw once you get it right is not known... but once you do get the form down, the discs will go as far as you're physically capable of throwing them, and that may not be the "Gospel" 250-300.

Once you do get the form down, and are throwing the Mako well, then take that Valkyrie (and the Beast) out and start working with it again. I suspect you'll be much happier with the results...

Last, but not least... I saw a post about a "180" Champion Monarch... isn't that illegal? Are you sure it's not a poorly written "160"?

Ok cool thanks for all the replies. I went out today to my local course and just messed around with just putters and midranges. except for one hole. I use my valkyrie on it just because my throw right now is really decent with it. I practiced my form on one of the long holes with my brothers shark and I landed it 10 feet from the chains (318 foot) I was so excited but that was the best drive I had all day. I feel like I am getting much better and I am now on the hunt for a Leopard haha. What plastic and weight would you all recommend?

Ok cool thanks for all the replies. I went out today to my local course and just messed around with just putters and midranges. except for one hole. I use my valkyrie on it just because my throw right now is really decent with it. I practiced my form on one of the long holes with my brothers shark and I landed it 10 feet from the chains (318 foot) I was so excited but that was the best drive I had all day. I feel like I am getting much better and I am now on the hunt for a Leopard haha. What plastic and weight would you all recommend?

Pro Leopard 170-175.