• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me find a putter

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have tried many different putters, and nothing seems to work well for me. The only thing that seems to work the best is using my Star Coyote as my putter. I was just wondering , should I continue with what works, using a non-putter, or should I try to find a putter with the look and feel of the Coyote?

If you know of a putter that flies and feels almost like a Coyote, please give me some suggestions. Thanks.

Give the pro rhyno a try. It is shallower than most putters and is easier to release and grip. It doesn't really fly like a coyote but it works great. Like you I can't stand mosf of those really tall putters.

twmccoy said:
Give the pro rhyno a try. It is shallower than most putters and is easier to release and grip. It doesn't really fly like a coyote but it works great. Like you I can't stand mosf of those really tall putters.

Hmmm, I might have to do that.

I am thinking about going back to the XD. I use to throw one, and it seems to fly similar to the Coyote. The ratings are the same. Of course , I am thinking that the XD and Coyote are some similar, I might just stick with what I am using. I really don't think there would be that much difference in chain sticking ability. I would like some opinions on that.

Midnightbiker said:
I was just wondering , should I continue with what works, using a non-putter, or should I try to find a putter with the look and feel of the Coyote?
Neither. It would be best to pick a stable putter and learn how to successfully putt and approach with it. Stable putter examples include Challenger, BB Aviar, Wizard etc.

This man will not be a Wizard conformist.

No but seriously, Eric's advice is the best. I would highly highly recommend using the short-arm putting style described by Blake in the article on this site. It takes a lot of practice to finally learn the timing but today I played two rounds and 4-5 round of a putting game. Anything inside of 20' was in and about 80% from 30'. When you get it down it is just ridiculously easy. The only misses I have are the top of the basket or high of the basket. There isn't really any aiming. It is just dead straight point to point. Blake argues that <30' all the putters you throw will fly the same if you are doing this right. I tested it out today and the only difference I had was when the putters were 166-167 they hit higher than my normal 175. I would agree with Eric. Something stable. Many people hyzer putt. I have a friend that does this. Sometimes he'll putt his mids to hide his form. When you do that you have to judge distance much more accurately. If you are throwing flat, straight on at the basket, it doesn't matter. You eliminate one more thing that can go wrong with your putt.

It will take a while, but it is the only way to get better. It took me a month before I found the timing and could do it consistently, but then again I am naturally athletic and I work out bitches. :twisted:

Rhynos work....but something similar to that is a Sinus from Latitude 64

I was in the same boat, i couldnt putt, so i starting putting with a roc and i liked it. Then i found the Sinus. It feels more like a midrange in my hand then it does a putter.

schla104 said:
This man will not be a Wizard conformist.

No but seriously, Eric's advice is the best. I would highly highly recommend using the short-arm putting style described by Blake in the article on this site. It takes a lot of practice to finally learn the timing but today I played two rounds and 4-5 round of a putting game. Anything inside of 20' was in and about 80% from 30'. When you get it down it is just ridiculously easy. The only misses I have are the top of the basket or high of the basket. There isn't really any aiming. It is just dead straight point to point. Blake argues that <30' all the putters you throw will fly the same if you are doing this right. I tested it out today and the only difference I had was when the putters were 166-167 they hit higher than my normal 175. I would agree with Eric. Something stable. Many people hyzer putt. I have a friend that does this. Sometimes he'll putt his mids to hide his form. When you do that you have to judge distance much more accurately. If you are throwing flat, straight on at the basket, it doesn't matter. You eliminate one more thing that can go wrong with your putt.

It will take a while, but it is the only way to get better. It took me a month before I found the timing and could do it consistently, but then again I am naturally athletic and I work out bitches. :twisted:

I agree with this. I'm not naturally athletic and I have had to work at this putting style. It recently clicked though and I can't believe how easy it is to make putts. It's true, it doesn't feel like you have to aim, your putts go straight in. 20 footers now feel like give mes where I used to struggle with 10 footers.

My suggestion is also to get a stable putter just like Blake says. A Challenger, Aviar, or Wizard. I chose the Wizard because I love the plastic. I called up GGGT and they set me up with some great wizards.

chris

The most common answer would be aviar, wiz, challenger. I would suggest just learning to throw them. It took me a while but now I feel comfortable with them

I second for the XD. I have had trouble finding a putter because I don't like they deepness of most of the rims. I found the XD when I was in Las Vegas and I have been putting with it ever since. It feels the best in my hand because it is driver like.

Third. The XD is a great putter, and I also prefer lower rimmed putters, but my go to right now is the Latitude 64 Spike. A bit more stable than the XD but similar depth and I love their soft plastic.

What is it you aren't liking about your putter, exactly? Is it just the way it fits in your hand, or is something about the way it's flying consistently a problem for you? Do you miss off left or right more often? High? Low? Not getting enough fade? Getting too much?

It's easy to say hey check out this putter or that, but if it's something other than just how it feels in your hand, there're lots of things to consider...

About a year ago I switched to a Soft Magnet and would highly recommend it. I don't think I will be throwing another putter for a long time.

there's a lot of good answers on this post, especially the guys emphasizing that inside of 20ft it really shouldn't matter what putter you're using...
I've seen you post a lot asking about which putter to get, and it seems nothing has stuck to you. I highly suggest picking whichever one feels most comfortable to you and sticking with it. For some people a beaded putter over a beadless putter is the most important factor in choosing one, for some they like soft putters over firm ones. To me the issue has just been getting aquainted with a putter and throwing it a couple thousand times so I know when I'm throwing well with it and when I'm not. My Medium wizards seem to be great all around putters for me since they fly straight and are less affected by windy conditions than other putters, they also penatrate the chains a little better than other putters. I just switched backed to Magnets because that's what I've threw for the longest time and even in a putting slump, my percentage is usually pretty high with them.

In my opinion, no putter will make your percentage jump higher for a sustained period of time just by switching to them and only using them during a round. Just buy 5-10 of your favorite putter (or if you can't choose a favorite, get some med wizards or D Magnets :) ) and throw at least a hundred putts everytime you hit the course or practice field. I know you practice a lot, and this should be the most important part of your routine, because that's where the crucial strokes really come from. Make up a game if you find putting over and over again monotinous. If you feel the wind kicking really hard and you've got some free time, make sure to hit the course or practice basket so you can work on your headwind/tailwind putts.

Drop the Coyote as your putter. You're probably just making some putts with what you thinks feels like no effort. Mids will fly straight with little effort, so if you're on, a midrange will seem like the best putter of all time. But if your putting stroke is off, the mid will just blowby the basket and probably roll or skip away a lot farther than a putter would. So people switch to midranges when the wind really starts to kick up past 30mph, but they typically use a mid with a little more stablilty than a coyote.

nice drive kid said:
Heard some rumblings and grumblings about the Pro Rhyno no longer being soft, is this true?
There seems to be more variation than there used to be, but soft ones are still out there. They are all still softer than DX (rubberier than DX, and have the nice textured grip), but some recent ones I've seen have had less flexiness than others. Some are downright floppy, while others approach the stiffness of DX. It varies some by color (all the oranges I've seen are on the stiff side), but even same color and weight, especially in white, can feel pretty different. I'd say find a dealer that has a good selection in stock and pick the ones you like the feel of. Our local shop usually gets them about 20 at a time, and in that quantity there's always lots of variety. I like that there is a range to choose from, but I guess if you were ordering online or something it would make it harder to know what you're getting.

Eric O said:
Midnightbiker said:
I was just wondering , should I continue with what works, using a non-putter, or should I try to find a putter with the look and feel of the Coyote?
Neither. It would be best to pick a stable putter and learn how to successfully putt and approach with it. Stable putter examples include Challenger, BB Aviar, Wizard etc.
Do this. If after you've achieved this you want to move to something else then go ahead, but if you want to be a good putter you need to take this step.

anarak82 said:
there's a lot of good answers on this post, especially the guys emphasizing that inside of 20ft it really shouldn't matter what putter you're using...
I've seen you post a lot asking about which putter to get, and it seems nothing has stuck to you. I highly suggest picking whichever one feels most comfortable to you and sticking with it. For some people a beaded putter over a beadless putter is the most important factor in choosing one, for some they like soft putters over firm ones. To me the issue has just been getting acquainted with a putter and throwing it a couple thousand times so I know when I'm throwing well with it and when I'm not. My Medium wizards seem to be great all around putters for me since they fly straight and are less affected by windy conditions than other putters, they also penetrate the chains a little better than other putters. I just switched backed to Magnets because that's what I've threw for the longest time and even in a putting slump, my percentage is usually pretty high with them.

In my opinion, no putter will make your percentage jump higher for a sustained period of time just by switching to them and only using them during a round. Just buy 5-10 of your favorite putter (or if you can't choose a favorite, get some med wizards or D Magnets :) ) and throw at least a hundred putts everytime you hit the course or practice field. I know you practice a lot, and this should be the most important part of your routine, because that's where the crucial strokes really come from. Make up a game if you find putting over and over again monotinous. If you feel the wind kicking really hard and you've got some free time, make sure to hit the course or practice basket so you can work on your headwind/tailwind putts.

Drop the Coyote as your putter. You're probably just making some putts with what you thinks feels like no effort. Mids will fly straight with little effort, so if you're on, a midrange will seem like the best putter of all time. But if your putting stroke is off, the mid will just blowby the basket and probably roll or skip away a lot farther than a putter would. So people switch to midranges when the wind really starts to kick up past 30mph, but they typically use a mid with a little more stablilty than a coyote.

I seem to be the most comfortable and have had the most success with the Pro D Magnet. I guess , when I miss what seems like a easy shot, I get upset, and want to change putters. I guess its like you said, I just need to practice more.

Latest posts