• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me pick my first backpack.

autocrosscrx

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
My current setup is an Infinite Discs Slinger. I'm a casual only player at this point, but I plan to start playing some tournaments in the future. And I need a new bag at that point.

What I currently carry:
- 12 discs
- wallet, keys, Golden Retriever, and a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the zipper pouch
- water bottle

I shove a small towel in my pocket.

What I want to add:
- more capacity for water. Carrying 1 bottle, I feel like I'm rationing water like I'm trapped in the desert when I play a big 18 hole course.
- I don't need to carry a ton of discs, but about 16 or so would be nice.
- room for a rain jacket or sweatshirt or whatever.

No interest in shoulder bags, I'm 100% committed to backpacks. Weight and size are most important. I don't have a budget per se, but I struggle with the concept of paying much more than $100 for a bag (I could possibly be persuaded). Secure storage for wallet and keys a must.

The MVP Voyager Slim and the Fossa Skinny Bag caught my eye. What else should I consider?

Thoughts?

Looks like an inexpensive Grip clone, from a very new company.

Wild Discs was founded in June of 2020. We strive to excel in hard work, creativity, and exceptional customer service. Our product line is unique, high quality and supports a great cause. Our goal is to be the best online disc golf store and manufacturer possible. Providing you with the most information possible about our line of discs is important to us. We not only produce some of the coolest looking, best quality animal related discs, we also support the animals. Our sport was born from our love of nature and being outdoors, weather it be in the desert, wooded forest or mountains, we all love our wilderness and Wild Discs wants to make sure our wilderness is sustained.

We have the largest selection of Wild Frisbee golf discs in every type of plastic. As an online disc golf retailer and manufacturer, our website will provide you with the information you need to find the best discs at unbeatable prices. We want to help you find and buy your next game-elevating disc while also offering the best customer service and disc quality in the industry. Our mission is to build a motivated disc golf community, eager to support the sport we all love. Each team member of Wild Discs has a love and passion for disc golf as well as wildlife conservation.

When you choose Wild Discs, you are also choosing to help save the animals that reside on our beautiful planet. We support Wildlife Conservation organizations and donate to the cause. We don't just throw cool animal names and graphics on our discs and gear, we actually help our planet's wildlife by donating over 5% of all proceeds towards Wildlife Conservation. Learn more about our efforts in Wildlife Conservation here.

Last edited:
Looks like an inexpensive Grip clone, from a very new company.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. When I first spoke with the owner I was wondering if they were being made by fossa, as this somewhat reminded me of the tana pro in places, but he has another supplier making these for him. Wild discs already had putter mold ready to go, and other discs are in the works. Luckily for me, the molds he has spoken of compliment my RDG molds well.

It is a better looking bag than a lot of others at its price point (IMHO).

I have had an Upper Park Rebel for three years now and it's been great. Very durable, holds everything I need, and is pretty great-looking, too. I would definitely recommend them. I know the Rebel was sold out a few months ago because a friend of mine wanted one. Maybe they have made more by now.

I have had an Upper Park Rebel for three years now and it's been great. Very durable, holds everything I need, and is pretty great-looking, too. I would definitely recommend them. I know the Rebel was sold out a few months ago because a friend of mine wanted one. Maybe they have made more by now.

Nope sold out.

I'm very happy with my Grip CS2.

I can't recall the model #, but I have a 2nd gen Grip bag. People called it the Grip A (as opposed to the Grip L, due to the slight difference in angle to reduce tipping over).

Can't recall when I bought it, but feels like forever ago, has to be at least 7 yrs or so, and it's held up remarkably well.

IMO, the best thing to do is start with a list of what you want your bag to 'be'.

How many discs do you want it to hold?
How many bottle holders do you want?
Do you want a built-in seat?
Do you want an umbrella holder?
Do you want room for a coat/sweater?
Do you want pockets for pencils/markers?
Do you play in rain? If so, you may want/need a rain cover.

Make the list of what you HAVE to have in the bag, then start finding bags that meet that criteria. Once you get your list of bags, you can start eliminating them based on feedback, ratings, cost, etc.

Something to think about....if you think you are going to want to carry an umbrella, seat, and/or a retrieval stick...make sure there are actual pockets for them...otherwise, you end up putting them in the bottle pocket and now you've lost a place to put a bottle of water, etc.

Hi guys! Our Kangaroo disc bag has all the bells and whistles that a gripeq or any other brand has at an affordable price point: $75 vs $180. We designed it specifically to fill the gap in the bag industry for a tournament capable bag at a price point that is accessible for all. Not to mention, each bag sold helps aid in wildlife conservation. You can check the bag out here: https://wilddiscs.com/product/kangaroo-disc-golf-bag/

Bill makes some very good points.

The Grip BX2 was my first disc golf bag once I graduated from carrying my half dozen discs in a normal school backpack. My theory had been buy once, cry once. However what the novice me didn't realize was which features were going to be important once I started playing tournaments.

your list of carry stuff is basically what I had before too, as I've gone to tournaments the crap I haul has evolved a bit, in addition to what you carry I've added:
Rainfly for bag
Raincoat for me
Extra towel in a ziplock baggy for when the first one gets wet
Hand drying sack, not needed every shot/round but humid summer days for sure.
Snacks, whatever your favorites are, it's jerky, cashews and a granola bar or 2 for me
Clipboard for score keeping with several pencils in a ziplock baggy to keep dry during rainy rounds
2 mini markers, one for loaning out, one for losing myself or marking lies when I want to throw that disc again or need 6" to get off the base of a tree.

The BX holds all of that plus a pair of 32oz water bottles with ease. I've also always appreciated how comfortable it is during 48 holes in the same day type tournaments. However, it doesn't have a dedicated way to hold a stool or umbrella which are 2 things I'd appreciate having for tournaments. I have a big golf umbrella but typically just toss a small collapsible umbrella in the side pocket if there's a high risk of rain. I've never bothered buying a stool because there's no good way to carry it anyways so I just stand or find a bench at courses that offer them.

What I have learned after my first year of tournaments is that the BX is a decent do everything bag. But it's kind of bulky for casual rounds and it's not really big enough for tournament rounds. Since you sound like you already have a decent casual round bag, I'd look at/prioritize tournament style bags that have features like umbrella holders, extra fluid holders etc. The downside is, I don't know how many/any of those bags have a 12-14 disc capacity. The grip C series gets close but the drink holders on the new ones dont fit 32oz bottles for some reason like the older ones. But an 18-20 disc bag would give you capacity for carrying a half dozen backup/duplicate discs in case you lose one of your workhorse discs mid tournament round, so that's something to consider.

lastly, the higher cost bags seem to hold their value better, I see lots of $100 ish bags locally re-selling for $20 used, while Grip bags never seem to dip below $100, I purchased my BX2 and rainfly during Grips black friday sale for $150 shipped, and then sold the bag by itself for $100 after I received my ledgestone players pack. Not that re-sale is everything, but perhaps it's another item in the pro expensive bag column.

your list of carry stuff is basically what I had before too, as I've gone to tournaments the crap I haul has evolved a bit, in addition to what you carry I've added:
Rainfly for bag
Raincoat for me
Extra towel in a ziplock baggy for when the first one gets wet
Hand drying sack, not needed every shot/round but humid summer days for sure.
Snacks, whatever your favorites are, it's jerky, cashews and a granola bar or 2 for me
Clipboard for score keeping with several pencils in a ziplock baggy to keep dry during rainy rounds
2 mini markers, one for loaning out, one for losing myself or marking lies when I want to throw that disc again or need 6" to get off the base of a tree.

I carry 5 mini markers right now for the same reasons...mainly so I can loan one out if needed and not be concerned if it doesn't come back.

My main bag is the RidgeRoller V2. I out grew the Trooper and wanted something with a seat in it.

I also have a Rogue Irons Sling Bag for when I want to go lighter....it carries 9 discs, a water bottle, and has a small pocket for some items.

For the OP - My final (maybe) suggestion for bags is to see what the other people you play with use and find out what they like and don't like about them.

Yeah. I think 18 or so discs is a sweet spot for me.

Room for 2 bottles is a big deal to me. I've bailed on rounds at my local long 18 hole course a few times this summer because I'll be to hole 5 and have drank well over half of my water supply. Even if I'm doing 2 laps of the shorter 9 hole courses, I'm running out around hole 7, then going to my truck after 9 to replace my bottle.

I'm not an umbrella person at all, so that isn't a concern. However, I'd consider carrying a Kwik-Stik. Don't think I'd care about a stool either.

I think if I get something light enough and small enough that holds 2 bottles, I can make everything else work.

Totally agree that Bill's post contains excellent points to consider. Look at what matters to you to narrow down the field, then weigh your options.

That Kangaroo from wild discs seems seems like it could be a whole lot of ba(n)g for the buck.

I love my Prodigy BP1-V3, especially once I added a disc separator. Only $110, but I don't think it's in stock anywhere.

The Latitude 64 Core bag was my first bag. It's great for a cheap bag, holds two water bottles, but it's not structured and that make it kind of a PITA. The water bottle holders are just repurposed zippered pockets, which is also a PITA, but you could do worse.

Latest posts