• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me pick my first backpack.

I think a similar price bag to the Kangaroo from Wild Discs is the Fitacitic on Amazon but since the Kangaroo bag fits the bill, go with that for the bag since the the wildlife support they give to as well. The Grip CS2 the current model is missing bottle holders that is going on sale, the current model from what others have said is missing a place for bottles though I could be wrong listening to them. The newer model that debuted with the 2020 Ledgestone stuff you could buy at that time with the Ledgestone 2020 name/logo on the bag has bottle holders, so the newer model of CS2 looks like it will have bottle holders.

Last edited:
I think a similar price bag to the Kangaroo from Wild Discs is the Fitacitic on Amazon but since the Kangaroo bag fits the bill, go with that for the bag since the the wildlife support they give to as well. The Grip CS2 the current model is missing bottle holders that is going on sale, the current model from what others have said is missing a place for bottles though I could be wrong listening to them. The newer model that debuted with the 2020 Ledgestone stuff you could buy at that time with the Ledgestone 2020 name/logo on the bag has bottle holders, so the newer model of CS2 looks like it will have bottle holders.

The ledgestone bag was a bx2, and all the bx2's ledgestone or not have had water bottle holders.

Is there a good site that would have weights and dimensions for a lot of bags?

You can easily see a lot of the features like bottle holders and disc capacities and secure storage, but I really haven't seem much for physical specs.

Another thing with the water bottle storage is that you can't necessarily see how they are secured. The thing that annoys me the most with my current Slinger bag is that the drawstring for the bottle holder doesn't cinch tight enough for a normal 16 oz water bottle. If I'm carrying one of those, I can't bend over to pick up a disc without dumping my bottled water on the ground.

Buying a bag......one of the biggest disc golf challenges. I recommend making a list of what you want the bag to be...like Bill suggests. But, also think about the big picture. Are you going to be interested in a cart down the road? Are you going to need a second glow bag down the road? Is the cart you lean toward, backpack capable?

I am always about quality over budget. I want my bag to last. No disrespect to any lesser price point bag companies. There is a market for them and they serve a purpose. I don't want to replace my bag, if I don't like it anymore, I want it to hold a decent resale value. I just got my first backpack from Ledgestone. This is a NICE bag. Far superior to the one discussed here, but the price point reflects it. The straps and back are significantly more padded....a feature I want, when slinging a bag onto my old back.

Take your time, do the research, see the long game, list your wants/needs out and maybe start a friends and family begging campaign. Ask for some gift cards this Christmas or Birthday.

Mystery Ranch Mahal Bag

I've got a Mahal I'm selling if you're interested in that! Medium, black in excellent condition!

Buying a bag......one of the biggest disc golf challenges. I recommend making a list of what you want the bag to be...like Bill suggests. But, also think about the big picture. Are you going to be interested in a cart down the road? Are you going to need a second glow bag down the road? Is the cart you lean toward, backpack capable?

I am always about quality over budget. I want my bag to last. No disrespect to any lesser price point bag companies. There is a market for them and they serve a purpose. I don't want to replace my bag, if I don't like it anymore, I want it to hold a decent resale value. I just got my first backpack from Ledgestone. This is a NICE bag. Far superior to the one discussed here, but the price point reflects it. The straps and back are significantly more padded....a feature I want, when slinging a bag onto my old back.

Take your time, do the research, see the long game, list your wants/needs out and maybe start a friends and family begging campaign. Ask for some gift cards this Christmas or Birthday.

But when the specific Upper Parks model of disc golf backpack I wanted had been sold out since 2018, I had to get the model of bag that will work for my Vertex seat from my Vertex Angler Backpack that was the Athletico PowerShot Backpack. The bag part to the seat of Vertex failed in 2019 twice in the season in the same spot So I have put the bag I got in mid 2018 on the seat since the original purchase. I had to get a backpack in 2018 as the bag part of Vertex was starting to have zipper issues. Where the Vertex bag failed was in the zipper of a small pocket only a year into using the fishing backpack for disc golf. Apparently in the reviews I did not see the backpacks all big complaints of failure to the bag were the zipper pulls, an easy fix and that small pocket.

But when the specific Upper Parks model of disc golf backpack I wanted had been sold out since 2018, I had to get the model of bag that will work for my Vertex seat from my Vertex Angler Backpack that was the Athletico PowerShot Backpack. The bag part to the seat of Vertex failed in 2019 twice in the season in the same spot So I have put the bag I got in mid 2018 on the seat since the original purchase. I had to get a backpack in 2018 as the bag part of Vertex was starting to have zipper issues. Where the Vertex bag failed was in the zipper of a small pocket only a year into using the fishing backpack for disc golf. Apparently in the reviews I did not see the backpacks all big complaints of failure to the bag were the zipper pulls, an easy fix and that small pocket.

Sad thing is the original backpack I got in 2017, the Vertex angler Backpack and in 2 years the bag part failed. I now have a setup that will work for a number of years until I need to buy a new version of the same bag. I needed a bag that held about 18-20 discs was skinny enough to use the seat cutting up the side pockets or seat could sit in the side straps, was short enough to fit under the seat, and did not use an above the inner disc storage for the putter pocket as an above in most taller bags would not be used due to the seat blocking the use of that putter pouch storage. So when the Athetico Powershot came out in 2018 as the model I wanted from Upper Parks was sold out since earlier that year, I jumped on the Athetico brand as I did not know if the model was going to be around.

I have a DD Commander bag. The main reason for getting it was the open access to the discs... so I don't have to "pull" them from the bag. It can carry two 32oz Nalgene bottles well, but doesn't have a way to secure smaller bottles. It's also very stable with it's wide base. It's not the best for carry a ton of gear, but works well enough for me.

Bag shopping is tough right now.... I went to a couple of the best shops around Houston and they don't really have anything in stock... I was told it is a combination of a lot of new players... and supply is down due to manufacturing being down in these times.

So I'm shopping online, but not being able to try bags first is tough. Have to rely on videos and the expertise here.

Bag shopping is tough right now.... I went to a couple of the best shops around Houston and they don't really have anything in stock... I was told it is a combination of a lot of new players... and supply is down due to manufacturing being down in these times.

So I'm shopping online, but not being able to try bags first is tough. Have to rely on videos and the expertise here.

Lucky, we do not have bags in area I live in to try so on vacation I got to try a pack on, the one I had been looking at before I ever got the Vertex Angler backpack in 2017, and had to find quick a replacement after a year of use as I knew at that point the modified pack part was going to fail.

It is always tough to shop online. Here is a little comparison showing the kangaroo side by side with a Prodigy BP-3 which is a very common starter bag.

Attachments

• disc bag compared.jpg
    disc bag compared.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 72

Latest posts