• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

help me please!!

cooliomcfly

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 5 onths
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH and FH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) Drivers:325/350 Mids:200/250 Putters: 150/100

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: sore shoulder from too much frolfing
Other sport proficiencies?: none really
What do you like/dislike about your current bag? disc for just about every shot
Specific areas of desired feedback: Is there any overlap??
Immediate and long-term goals: get better hahaha

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
171 Innova champ Ape, brand new, for overstable drives/spike hysers
170 Innova champ Boss, used, not in bag
151 Innova blizzard champ Destroyer, somewhat new, used for long drives that need an overstable finish
150 Innova blizzard champ TeeDevil, used, go-to
175 Innova champ Wraith, slightly used, headwinds

Fairway
170 innova champ sidewinder(I know its actually a distance but i use it as a fairway) slow fading throws
170 Innova champ teebird, go-to fairway

Mids:
168 Innova DX Stingray, used, go-to slow fading mid
180 Innova Star Mako, used, consistent lines and unique shaping
170 Innova DX Roc, used, not in bag

Putters:
170 Discraft ESP Zone, new, distance putter/approach/wind/hyzer putting
170 Innova Star Dart, used, long low approaches/ shot that need alotta glide
168 Innova DX Aviar, used, go-to putter
168 Innova DX Rhyno, used, not in bag

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you!!

I have two recommendations for your bag.
1. Take out all your drivers and use your fairway drivers. Short of the Wraith (kind of a stretch even), all your "Drivers" are designed for longer distances than you're throwing right now. That's not to say that they won't be useful to you still. They just (in my opinion) should be shelved while you improve your technique and distance. The reason I lump the Wraith in the "shelve" pile but say it's good for your power is that, despite being capable at your distances, it has a wide enough rim that it will mask form flaws fairly easily and not help you improve. This is why most people on here will recommend that you spend a lot of time with your putters and a neutral mid while you begin really trying to improve. They are slow enough that they won't tolerate bad form.

2. Stop using your Zone as a putter on windy days. The next time the wind picks up, pick up your Aviar and practice with it. Get to know how to use the wind as an advantage, not a hindrance. This will probably draw fire from a lot of people as there are a fair amount of people on here that switch without issue.

OK. I have one more thing (goes along with #1). Pick up a lightweight (<170) Elite-X Comet and hit the practice field. If you are releasing flat, and the disc does anything but track perfectly straight, that's a sure sign that your form is off. It'll fly well over 300' so it'll grow with you as you improve. (If you're super serious about improving...) Videotape yourself, post it in the Technique & Strategy form, and get advice on how to improve.

I've gathered a bit more info on what to use and what not to use and having to many discs that go the same distance but basically do the same thing.So what I'm saying is I may be able to help you out with what to use.

First off Distance Drivers/Fairway Drivers.

Drop the Ape,Boss and Wraith.The Boss and Wraith do the same things as the Destoyer.The Boss is just a bit faster and the Wraith a bit slower.Th Ape is not needed.You can cover the same shot with your Destroyer by adding some hyzer angle on your throw.

TeeDevil - good choice for straight shots with slow hyzer at the end.
Destroyer - Good Windy day disc and can handle those power shots for good Distance that always finish left.I feel the Destroyer is more consistent than the other two.
Sidewinder - Very good disc for anhyzers,Rollers,tunnel shots and straight shots that stay straight forever.
Teebird - Very good disc to compliment your TeeDevil when the Teedevil just goes a bit too far.Teebird can be good in the wind as well as long as it's Star or Champion Plastic.

Suggestions

Try out a good utility disc(this is usually a really overstable disc).By this I mean for these shots to get out of trouble or those forehand flick upshots.The ones I suggest are a Discraft Flick,Innova Firebird or a Innova Monster.You don't want them to be too fast,which is what the Ape is.A speed 10,9 or 8 works best as a Utility disc.

Also look into getting a disc to compliment your Teebird.My suggestions would be a Innova Leopard or a Discraft Glide.

Midranges

Your mids are pretty spot on.You got one to cover every type of shot,but I have one suggestion.

Suggestions

Get yourself a Utility Midrange disc.(Same explanation as above).The ones I suggest are a Discraft Drone,Gateway Warrior or a Innova Gator.Also pick up a Comet.It will help your game 10 fold.I throw one before I throw my actual drive to clean up my release and form(this is all I use it for).I've only had it for a few days,but I've thrown this thing like crazy and I've gotten better just by throwing it.

Putters

Putters look pretty good,but I would throw in the Rhyno again just from experience.

The Dart will go pretty straight,The Aviar in KC Pro mold will go straight then fade slowly,then the Rhyno will have a harder fade.

Deffinately keep using your Aviar if you like it really well,but I have a few suggestions.

Suggestions

I haven't got one yet,but when I do I'll let you know more.It's about the Zone.From what I've heard it's pretty overstable and in my bag that means Utility disc.Also pick up a KC Pro for Driving I think you may like the way it drives.

On that Zone, I'll have one tomorrow and plan on giving it the Utility Disc Test so to speak.I'll let you know the results.

Anything else you would like to know?

Last edited:
I have two recommendations for your bag.
1. Take out all your drivers and use your fairway drivers. Short of the Wraith (kind of a stretch even), all your "Drivers" are designed for longer distances than you're throwing right now. That's not to say that they won't be useful to you still. They just (in my opinion) should be shelved while you improve your technique and distance. The reason I lump the Wraith in the "shelve" pile but say it's good for your power is that, despite being capable at your distances, it has a wide enough rim that it will mask form flaws fairly easily and not help you improve. This is why most people on here will recommend that you spend a lot of time with your putters and a neutral mid while you begin really trying to improve. They are slow enough that they won't tolerate bad form.

2. Stop using your Zone as a putter on windy days. The next time the wind picks up, pick up your Aviar and practice with it. Get to know how to use the wind as an advantage, not a hindrance. This will probably draw fire from a lot of people as there are a fair amount of people on here that switch without issue.

OK. I have one more thing (goes along with #1). Pick up a lightweight (<170) Elite-X Comet and hit the practice field. If you are releasing flat, and the disc does anything but track perfectly straight, that's a sure sign that your form is off. It'll fly well over 300' so it'll grow with you as you improve. (If you're super serious about improving...) Videotape yourself, post it in the Technique & Strategy form, and get advice on how to improve.
Very solid advice, I concur.

OP, you seem to have fallen into the "Swiss Army Knife" pitfall that a lot of new players go into, where they have a different disc and mold for every little shot. This works if your name is Dave Feldberg but not for most of us mere mortals.

tbird nailed it but I'll also mention that you probably have too many putter molds than you need also.

Thanks guys!! wow, a lot to take in, but some advice that will probably help me out in the long run, im going to feel a little weird heading out with out my teedevil, ive really grown to like its straight flight with a slow fade, but the teebird is pretty much the same thing only slower. ill also post a video of me throwing the recommended comet and maybe a few other of my mids pretty soon, and ill get back here after some practice, thanks again!!

Thanks guys!! wow, a lot to take in, but some advice that will probably help me out in the long run, im going to feel a little weird heading out with out my teedevil, ive really grown to like its straight flight with a slow fade, but the teebird is pretty much the same thing only slower. ill also post a video of me throwing the recommended comet and maybe a few other of my mids pretty soon, and ill get back here after some practice, thanks again!!

Sorry if my post was confusing.

Keep both the TeeDevil and Teebird.

They both do similar things but one goes farther and one is shorter.It's good to have 2 similar type discs in your bag as long as they don't go the same distance.

For instance my bag.

Discraft Stalker - Goes Straight and far with a gentle hyzer,sort of like your TeeDevil.

Innova KC Pro Gazelle - Similar flight as my Stalker,but doesn't go as far and since it's a slower speed it's easier to control for tight wooded shots.

Think of it this way.
TeeDevil -Wide Open Distance with slow hyzer

TeeBird - More similar,but controllable Fairway Distance but for tight wooded/fairway shots.

In my opinion I think they go good together.

the teedevil/tebird combo is something im comming to find as a great pair myself. Also, aside from practice, i would also like to talk a little more about the wraith/destroyer/boss/ape overlap and disc-downing. the reason i have the boss, destroyer, and wraith is because the destroyer is in blizzard champ plastic, and does not handle a reasonable crosswind or headwind too well. i had the boss as a windy control disc, but decided to shelve it for the wraith, which game me the control i thought i would have gotten with the boss. so in the end, destroyer=no wind/tailwind, wraith=any other wind, which seemed like a legit reason for the purchase at the time. i also thought the ape was the utility driver mentioned earlier, but that has been adressed and i will be picking up a firebird or monster soon!!

Latest posts