• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help the Newb: What do I need???

One other thing I would say to the noob. Buy one DX (or Pro D) distance driver that is waay too overstable for you and know that it will get beat up, lost, and probably frustrate you. I would recommend the Orc or Wraith for beginners, but if that's too easy, try a Destroyer. Then go figure out how to throw it well by throwing it a lot. It's by figuring out how to throw the overstable driver that you'll figure out the form required for accurate distance.

This is how new players develop bad form, not good form. It causes the player to have severe OAT to compensate for the speed and overstability of the disc and then when they go back to throwing a disc that's actually at their level they will completely turn it over into the ground because of the bad form they've developed. This happened to me when I was throwing a Sidewinder around 300' and then bought and started using a Boss. It made throwing every other disc in my bag much more difficult and I didn't even gain any distance when throwing the Boss.

This is how new players develop bad form, not good form. It causes the player to have severe OAT to compensate for the speed and overstability of the disc and then when they go back to throwing a disc that's actually at their level they will completely turn it over into the ground because of the bad form they've developed. This happened to me when I was throwing a Sidewinder around 300' and then bought and started using a Boss. It made throwing every other disc in my bag much more difficult and I didn't even gain any distance when throwing the Boss.

AGREED!

You do NOT want a giant honking driver...Don't throw them away or anything...just keep them around until you get some distance and speed under your belt then play with them a little and see what happens...still too much? tuck it back away...

\/\/

Seconded. My drives would've been much better much sooner if I would have stuck it out with my Leopard before jumping to a Surge. Get good at a fast mid or a fairway driver before you consider any "big arm" plastic.

If you post what disc you have, the weight, the distance you can throw it, and what happens during flight (immediate left turn, right turn only, or right turn with a following left turn) then people on the site can give you suggestions about proper disc selection.

WOW!

First, thanks for all the great info. Since a couple asked, here are the 8 discs I got:

For my 10 YO:
Innova Leopard Fairway Driver (137g)
Innova Aviar Putter (145g)

For my 12 YO:
Innova Leopard Fairway Driver (169g) <---too heavy for her maybe?
Innova Skeeter Mid-Range (169g)
Innova Aviar Putter (167g)

For moi:
Innova Leopard Fairway Driver (171g)
Innova Skeeter Mid-Range (175g)
Innova Aviar Putter (171g)

I also got 3 tiny marker frisbees...for some reason those were a big hit :rolleyes:

Ok, I finally plowed my way through all of this helpful information! Some I cut/paste for reference and most of the links I bookmarked. OMG, I think I am a nerd. :D

The first time we went out, we used the normal "frisbee toss" throw and the frisbees were not going very far. Over the weekend, I watched some videos on the X-step backhand and the forehand. While my kids thrived with the X-step backhand, I loved the forehand and my distance more than doubled and took some pressure off my aching shoulder.

A HUGE thanks to all of you for the most excellent guidance. :clap::clap::clap:

That's true; unless I'm playing a highly complex course, I'll never throw more than 9 discs ina given round...BUT...I'll use a different 9 discs on different courses or in different conditions. I carry 20+ discs, and use the subset that makes sense given the weather, distances, or fairways I encounter.

To me those discs would fall into the "Utility" category. Discs that can come and go out of your bag depending on the course/weather. I was describing making a balanced "core" bag.

You don't really need to carry all 20+ discs each and every round. You probably could carry your 9 +/- the utility discs for that day/course and leave the rest in your trunk. Probably cut that 20+ to 15 in the bag.

haha, what a bombardment of information
i feel you've heard enough... so i say enjoy the time with the kids, take mids and putters only till they fly flat over 200ft, makes the game easier for "family", lets you learn/teach how to throw discs properly, carrying 10 discs and not being able to throw any of them well, just leads to a not so good time, specially for kids

make sure you teach the "fun"
welcome aboard

oh, and make sure you use the buzzz for a midrange
:)
it is the easiest disc to learn throwing flat
:popcorn:

oh, and make sure you use the buzzz for a midrange
:)
it is the easiest disc to learn throwing flat
:popcorn:

Until the Innova Flounder comes out in the Spring. :clap:

Krejaton - glad to hear your interest in Disc Golf! It gets better and better the more you learn about how to throw and how different discs will fly for you -- there is seemingly no limit to how much you can learn.

I see you have taken a liking to the forehand shot -- as do many beginners. I think it's one of the easiest ways to get more distance with less effort. You'll find that some holes won't be suited to your forehand throw, however -- and you may be forced to throw a backhand shot. I'm a "hybrid thrower", about 60/40 backhand/forehand on drives. It works great for me because I can get the disc to finish left OR right without having to force my disc, but just letting it fly more naturally.

Anyway, keep throwing your forehands -- you'll learn the ins and outs of your disc. From there you can decide what works for you and go from there. You don't need 1,000 discs to start out, I'd stick with 1 or 2 main drivers, a mid range, and a putter. Don't forget about the importance of putting! You can save a lot of strokes by getting better at putting, which as it turns out, is a very tricky thing to do.

Good Luck

The best thing you can do to improve is get out and throw (even if it's just practicing in an open field).

Discs that are easy to throw and you will use forever...

Innova Leopard
Innova Panther... I think they only come in Champion plastic now... if you find one in DX, I'll buy it from you.
Innova Aviar putt and approach

Throw the Leopard if you can't reach the basket.
Throw the Panther if you want to go around something... it's the easiest disc to control I've ever thrown (especially in DX plastic)
Throw the Aviar if you are close enough to the basket to reach it.

That should do it. When you can consistently throw the Leopard over 200 feet, close to where you wanted it to go, move up to an Archangel.

If you just want other discs... get a Cheetah to drive with... a Shark, Cobra or Roc to approach with... and an Omega Super Soft to putt with. All of these discs are easy to find at retailers that sell golf discs... except possibly the Panther, but get one if you can find it.

I carry 18 discs, but as mentioned before, many are the same type of discs in different weights and condition (some are more worn than others... DX and Pro D plastic will wear and it will make them more understable which is easier for a beginner to throw. A beat up disc is not a bad disc.

I play for fun and I'm not overly serious out there... don't go crazy buying stuff at first... if you get hooked, it will happen naturally...

Latest posts