• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with backhand form

johnnyfoodstamp

Birdie Member
Hello! I've been playing off and on for years. Just recently I've started up playing a lot again and I'd like to put all of this info on here to good use. I feel like I'm topping out at about 350 or so. Here is a video of a 350ish hyzer flip that flipped up and finished with a nice little fade (just like my beat in Tee Rex always does.) I know that I have to clean up the form to get any more distance out of this disc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgKuJwvh_s8

Firstly this is terrible video quality and can't see your footwork which I'm sure is very flatfooted and you are pushing off your heel/spinning out instead driving forward from the instep. Secondly stop throwing a teerex, your arm finishes like you have teerex arm i.e. no extension and width from your shoulder. Throw putters and mids and fairway drivers. When you start your swing you drop your shoulder and head forward and it gets ahead of the hips and out of good athletic posture. Because your shoulder is so far forward, you can't extend the arm and disc out further toward the target faster as your shoulder/spine rotates and it slows the arm/disc speed down big time. Your arm finishes way low for a hyzer release. The shoulder and arm should finish higher than the other shoulder unless you are throwing anhyzer or roller. Pretty much any video posted in this section will apply.

Firstly this is terrible video quality and can't see your footwork which I'm sure is very flatfooted and you are pushing off your heel/spinning out instead driving forward from the instep. Secondly stop throwing a teerex, your arm finishes like you have teerex arm i.e. no extension and width from your shoulder. Throw putters and mids and fairway drivers. When you start your swing you drop your shoulder and head forward and it gets ahead of the hips and out of good athletic posture. Because your shoulder is so far forward, you can't extend the arm and disc out further toward the target faster as your shoulder/spine rotates and it slows the arm/disc speed down big time. Your arm finishes way low for a hyzer release. The shoulder and arm should finish higher than the other shoulder unless you are throwing anhyzer or roller. Pretty much any video posted in this section will apply.

Thanks for your input and the video recommendation!

I have re-uploaded my video now here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhe1IjS5LRQ

Not sure why it was distorted before but thanks for pointing that out! :wall:

A few other things:

1. This was after a round in an open field. I was throwing a few distance drivers, mostly Roadrunner, Mamba, and Teebird. The Tee Rex happened to be the one on film and the furthest drive.

2. I love me some "Discing Down" and I always tell my friends to use their putters and mids more. I drive with my putter all the time and it's my most used disc. I still would like to be able to air out a distance driver 400+ from time to time. :)

3. I've been doing a slower "walk up" instead of "run-up" but I've still been trying to be light on my feet with my knees slightly bent. I know the foot work wasn't visible in this video. I'll get it in the next!

I'll try to get some better video next time.

Your timing is off by a pretty big margin.

Epsen.jpg

Whether you're using an x-step or an x-hop, you should be holding the disc in front of you until your on top of your plant foot, beginning to move forward with your plant foot. Epsen above is a great example of getting that timing perfect and sync'ing your back-swing with your plant foot moving forward.

rp82zs.gif

Nate Doss is very easy to see the late acceleration. Think of that back-swing as getting the disc into the right position.

Lastly, you're using a 2 or 3 finger grip. Not impossible to overcome, but unless you have a reason to avoid it, a power grip is much easier to hold the disc with into the late stages of acceleration. As you start driving your elbow out in front, hand on the outside of the disc, your acceleration is going to increase drastically and you'll want to be clamping down on the thumb and index finger much more to make sure you're holding to the hit point.

As SW22 says, shoot some better video. Shoot it in slow motion if possible and front the direct side and from behind.