• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with my drives...

Hello all, I've been playing disc golf for 3 months now and I'm looking for some advice with my drives. I started getting better at my drives and getting better distance but for the past 2 weeks I've been having a lot of trouble with my discs turning over.

I have been throwing 3 different drivers to test this out. A Champion Beast, Surge SS, and a Star SL. I mainly have this problem when I try to throw far or add a lot of power. If I do just one step or don't apply a lot of power I can get the disc to hyzer but not really much distance and if I throw with power it almost always anhyzers and\or rolls over.

I'm pretty sure its my form, the problem is I don't know what exactly? Am I releasing to late, or at the wrong angle, or what? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sounds like it could be the dreaded wrist roll to me. If your palm is facing up at the end of your shot, then ur rolling your wrist.

Sounds like it could be the dreaded wrist roll to me. If your palm is facing up at the end of your shot, then ur rolling your wrist.

This is generally caused by strong-arming it....when you're rotating through properly and actually snapping it, wrist roll almost becomes a thing of the past.

Also, something I forgot to mention: Dan Beato's driving video on youtube is a great place to start if you're not into going right into "feel" drills.
You can find that here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo

Yeah I had a feeling I was getting more arm into my throws than I wanted, so I went out and practice just one steps and whipping the disc around for about an hour. I was getting them to straighten out a lot but as soon as I added the X-Step I lost it again, I'm guessing I just need more practice.

I've been running into this problem lately, how do I cure it?

I've been trying to field practice with no run up, just cranking the hips open, slow pull throw and trying to "accelerate through the hit".

If I consciously force myself to keep my palm down, I end up releasing early and burning one off low and left (RHBH).

Any tips to not roll over?

I would like to know how to combat this too. I have "Accidently" snapped a couple off really well and enjoyed watching it take off. I cannot repeat it though.

I've been trying to field practice with no run up, just cranking the hips open, slow pull throw and trying to "accelerate through the hit".

If I consciously force myself to keep my palm down, I end up releasing early and burning one off low and left (RHBH).

It starts with grip. Look online for photos of what the power grip (and variations of it) should look like.
Here's a good resource for that:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

If everything is good there, then a lot has to do with set-up and reach back. If you set up with your shoulders pointed to the left of the target you're going to find yourself doing some odd things to compensate (sometimes it involves wrist roll). In your reach back you need to "show" what type of throw you're doing. If you're planning on throwing a hyzer, it better not look like you're throwing an anhyzer in your reach back. There is a resource online for this too, but I'll need to track it down. It might be on discgolfreview.com, but I'm not sure.

Last tip: make sure the weight transfer is very defined. If you aren't transferring your weight properly, you'll end up with all sorts of issues. Try kicking up your back leg when you're powering through the release.

I have been throwing 3 different drivers to test this out. A Champion Beast, Surge SS, and a Star SL.

how far are you throwing these discs? Unless you are throwing 350+ feet you shouldn't even be coming close to turning them over and in fact you probably shouldn't be throwing them in general.

I have a surge SS and it fades hard on me. I can only throw around 300 feet though.

Like others suggest on here (for a good reason) get a disc like the discraft comet x and maybe a innova dx Leopard and work with them. They will teach you good form. when i first started i couldn't even throw 150 feet. working with the comet got me up to 250 in no time. Adding the leopard got me another 25-50 feet.

how far are you throwing these discs? Unless you are throwing 350+ feet you shouldn't even be coming close to turning them over and in fact you probably shouldn't be throwing them in general.

I have a surge SS and it fades hard on me. I can only throw around 300 feet though.

Like others suggest on here (for a good reason) get a disc like the discraft comet x and maybe a innova dx Leopard and work with them. They will teach you good form. when i first started i couldn't even throw 150 feet. working with the comet got me up to 250 in no time. Adding the leopard got me another 25-50 feet.

Yes, I agree that those drivers are probably too fast for you. Fast drivers in general are more stable than other discs, so u might be overcompensating by throwing everything anhyzer which can lead to bad habits, including too much wrist rolling. I would also recommend discing down to mids for now. They will be easier to throw but will also show form flaws.

What discs are you throwing? The faster drivers will fade harder than other discs. Start throwing more mids. The only real trick to combatting wrist roll is practicing throwing flat and straight. Concentrate on bringing the disc back nice and level and then bringing it forward on that same plane. Yes, slow is best at first and then gradually increase speed coming forward.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...

What discs are you throwing? The faster drivers will fade harder than other discs. Start throwing more mids. The only real trick to combatting wrist roll is practicing throwing flat and straight. Concentrate on bringing the disc back nice and level and then bringing it forward on that same plane. Yes, slow is best at first and then gradually increase speed coming forward.

Throwing a Star Valk (172g) as my main "driver" and Star Mako (180g), Star Dart (175g) and Star Stingray (171g) as my mids (Dart is my putter, but I throw it on approaches, etc too).

EDIT - I also have a Star TL, around 172g that I use as well

I seem to not have the problem when throwing mids, as much. Once here and there it will rear its ugly head, but I am much better with the mids...the problem arises when I really try and get one out there.

It starts with grip. Look online for photos of what the power grip (and variations of it) should look like.
Here's a good resource for that:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

Thank you, read that when first starting out (June of this year). Also watched a video of Climo or someone showing off grip, and how they lay the disc in their hand to facilitate the proper grip.

I feel I have the disc oriented right in my hand, to provide a nose down angle and good grip, etc.

My only question with grip, is I generally feel the rip more on my middle finger vs. my index finger. My hands are a bit small (M glove size), is this due to hand size or technique (I know, hard to tell over the internet)?

Is there any problem having a grip that uses the middle finger as the rip? Reading something yesterday about keeping the heel of palm off the flight plate, going to try that next.

If everything is good there, then a lot has to do with set-up and reach back. If you set up with your shoulders pointed to the left of the target you're going to find yourself doing some odd things to compensate (sometimes it involves wrist roll). In your reach back you need to "show" what type of throw you're doing. If you're planning on throwing a hyzer, it better not look like you're throwing an anhyzer in your reach back. There is a resource online for this too, but I'll need to track it down. It might be on discgolfreview.com, but I'm not sure.

To clarify; showing a hyzer would be pulling back low and releasing high, with the opposite being true for an anhyzer (RHBH)?

Last tip: make sure the weight transfer is very defined. If you aren't transferring your weight properly, you'll end up with all sorts of issues. Try kicking up your back leg when you're powering through the release.

Good point. I've watched some of the Beato videos, and try to make sure I "walk through", etc and get the weight onto the ball of my front foot. I think I am doing OK on that.

It's just hugely frustrating, as I can go a few rounds without doing it, then for a few rounds I can't do anything but turn the disc over, via rolling my wrist.

What sucks is my natural movement (if I stand here and "throw" a disc with an empty hand), is to roll my wrist.

Anyone know of any drills or anything to try and combat this?

Thank you again for the help so far...

Last edited:
Showing a hyzer in the reach-back is about how the disc is oriented. Diagonal orientation in the reach-back shows hyzer or anhyzer depending on which direction it is angled. If it is parallel to the ground, you are showing neither anhyzer nor hyzer. Pulling back low and releasing high doesn't automatically mean the disc will hyzer, it probably just means it'll get nose up pretty quickly and stall out. The worm burner is the opposite of this.
As for drills to do:
Secret Technique is where it's at.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220

This should give you the feel you're looking for.

My only question with grip, is I generally feel the rip more on my middle finger vs. my index finger. My hands are a bit small (M glove size), is this due to hand size or technique (I know, hard to tell over the internet)?

Is there any problem having a grip that uses the middle finger as the rip? Reading something yesterday about keeping the heel of palm off the flight plate, going to try that next.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. When I use a power grip, the rip is clearly off of my middle finger (in fact, I played so much last weekend, that my finger actually became swollen from this). I think its just a matter of the anatomy of your hand. My middle finger is longer so it only seems natural that it rips off of that point and not my index.

What sucks is my natural movement (if I stand here and "throw" a disc with an empty hand), is to roll my wrist.

Anyone know of any drills or anything to try and combat this?

Thank you again for the help so far...

I don't know of any drills in particular, but I had somewhat of a similar problem with my mids. I found I was actually letting my wrist roll backwards as threw, creating OAT. To fix it, I just spent several days making slow throwing motions and consciously thinking about not letting my wrist roll that way. After that, I'd play and every time I would throw a mid, I would start saying to myself "don't roll your wrist back" as I was standing at the teebox. After doing it enough, I got used to the feel and its become part of my natural throw.

I've fought through a similar problem. When I use/d a full x-step, especially in slow-motion, I either turn over my disc, or release it on a slight anhyzer accidentally.

It's a timing issue. You're letting your hips/feet/core get ahead of the disc. You can either work that out by using something like Beato's pec drill, or you can do what I did, which was switch to the pivot hop step approach.
It cured this issue for me immediately. And while it might be that it's robbing me of potential power, or something, the fact that a lot of pros use it helps me justify the shortcut.

Secret Technique is where it's at.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220

This should give you the feel you're looking for.

Thank you.

See this before, haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

One thing from reading those posts that I think might help...

I was always of the understanding that on the pull through, you should "slice your nipples" with the disc. By that, I mean keeping it tight to the body instead of floating out there in space and chest high.

Some in that thread, Beato included, mention a lower pull through, for more leverage.

Standing here with an imaginary though, a lower pull seems to be less likely to roll the wrist, via body mechanics.

Going to do some field practice tonight, will report back how this helps/hurts...

Latest posts